[comp.sys.ibm.pc.misc] coherent

byron@OCF.BERKELEY.EDU (Byron C. Go) (08/26/90)

In article <28293@nigel.ee.udel.edu> boutell@freezer.it.udel.edu (Tom Boutell) writes:

>- I'm interested in getting Coherent. For $99, it looks like a dream
>come true- a hacker's Unix, comfortable in one meg on a machine like
>mine, with UUCP and an ANSI C compiler standard. But is it gonna be
>willing to install on my XT hard drive/ controller? I'm guessing it
>won't be happy.

I too am interested in getting Coherent.  Does anyone have information
that would be of help to me?

Thanks in advance.

regards,

     byron  (=

patterso@usceast.UUCP (Mitchell Patterson) (08/27/90)

byron@OCF.BERKELEY.EDU (Byron C. Go) writes:

>In article <28293@nigel.ee.udel.edu> boutell@freezer.it.udel.edu (Tom Boutell) writes:
>>- I'm interested in getting Coherent. For $99, it looks like a dream
>>come true- a hacker's Unix, comfortable in one meg on a machine like
>>mine, with UUCP and an ANSI C compiler standard. But is it gonna be
>>willing to install on my XT hard drive/ controller? I'm guessing it
>>won't be happy.

>I too am interested in getting Coherent.  Does anyone have information
>that would be of help to me?

>Thanks in advance.

>regards,

>     byron  (=

Check the newsgroup comp.os.minix, which is devoted to discussion/code/flames
about minix, a UNIX workalike for various machines.  They've had heated
discussion about Coherent recently and surely someone would be able to
tell you more about it than I could.  A lot of people on that group
were upset that the Coherent cc wouldn't handle all of the PC memory
models, as well as the fact that Coherent sells -- WITHOUT source -- something
similar to UNIX v7, while Minix offers source and a v7 clone for about
$10 less.  I believe you can get Minix free from some FTP sites, tho'
I don't know about the legality of it.

medici@dorm.rutgers.edu (Mark Medici) (08/28/90)

byron@OCF.BERKELEY.EDU (Byron C. Go) writes:

>In article <28293@nigel.ee.udel.edu> boutell@freezer.it.udel.edu (Tom Boutell) writes:

>>- I'm interested in getting Coherent. For $99, it looks like a dream
>>come true- a hacker's Unix, comfortable in one meg on a machine like
>>mine, with UUCP and an ANSI C compiler standard. But is it gonna be
>>willing to install on my XT hard drive/ controller? I'm guessing it
>>won't be happy.

>I too am interested in getting Coherent.  Does anyone have information
>that would be of help to me?

I bought, tried, and returned Coherent.  Problems were:

    -	Wouldn't run with my ESDI disk controller (won't work with
	SCSI controllers, either).
    -	Not compatible with my AMI BIOS (though this may be fixed
	now.)
    -	Limited to SMALL programming model!!!

I found the last problem the most unacceptable.  I was interested in
learning more about Unix, but you can't even get a decent editor to
compile in that environment!

I definately don't recommend it.  Don't just take my word for it, ask
the same question in comp.os.minix and see what happens!

Mark Medici/SysProg3 * Rutgers University/CCIS * medici@elbereth.rutgers.edu

rose@galtee.cs.wisc.edu (The Great Satan) (08/28/90)

In article <28293@nigel.ee.udel.edu> boutell@freezer.it.udel.edu (Tom Boutell) writes:

>- I'm interested in getting Coherent. For $99, it looks like a dream
>come true- a hacker's Unix, comfortable in one meg on a machine like
>mine, with UUCP and an ANSI C compiler standard. But is it gonna be
>willing to install on my XT hard drive/ controller? I'm guessing it
>won't be happy.

The release of Coherent that is being advertised lately is restricted to
AT-class machines or "better."  That means 80286 or 80368*, and precludes
XTs.  It also requires an MFM or RLL controller.  The C compiler in this
release generates code only for small model, a limitation that sours many
on the product.  That said, it sure is alot of product for the price, albeit
not bug free.

There is a mailing list for people interested in or using this version of
Coherent- write to "coherent-request@cs.wisc.edu" to subscribe.  Back traffic
is available upon request; the answers to some of your burning questions
(along with plenty of drivel, of course) may be lurking in there somewhere.
There are also a few archive sites with a small but growing collection of
public domain software that has been successfully ported to Coherent.
--
	Scott Rose
	rose@cs.wisc.edu

lasky@iris.ucdavis.EDU (Ty Lasky) (08/29/90)

I have  a friend who tried Coherent, and was also quite displeased about
being limited to the small memory model.  He has spoken to a couple of
people, and one person recommended that he look at ESSEX (sp?), Everex's
version of Unix.  Apparently, this operating system costs about
$500-600, but is as good as SCO Unix, which costs MUCH more.  Also,
ESSEX apparently includes X windows, and other goodies (maybe NFS, I
don't know).  As you can tell, I haven't personally seen any information
about this, but if I were looking at gettin Unix, I would definitely
look into ESSEX, rather than Coherent.  Like they say, you get what you
pay for.

Ty A.  Lasky
Robotics Research Lab
University of California, Davis

Internet:   TALASKY@ucdavis.edu or lasky@iris.ucdavis.edu
BITNET:     TALASKY@ucdavis
UUCP:       {ucbvax, lll-crg, sdcsvax}!ucdavis!iris!lasky

heiser@tdw201.ed.ray.com (08/30/90)

In article <7626@ucdavis.ucdavis.edu> lasky@iris.ucdavis.EDU (Ty Lasky) writes:

>people, and one person recommended that he look at ESSEX (sp?), Everex's
>version of Unix.  Apparently, this operating system costs about
>$500-600, but is as good as SCO Unix, which costs MUCH more.  Also,
>ESSEX apparently includes X windows, and other goodies (maybe NFS, I
>don't know).  As you can tell, I haven't personally seen any information
>about this, but if I were looking at gettin Unix, I would definitely
>look into ESSEX, rather than Coherent.  Like they say, you get what you
>pay for.

What you really mean here is ESIX.  Esix is a SYSVR3 UNIX, unlike
Coherent which is really just a SYS7 Unix CLONE.

--
Bill Heiser
	Work:   heiser@tdw201.ed.ray.com

kpmiller@uokmax.ecn.uoknor.edu (Kent P Miller) (10/05/90)

(Anyone who recieved that last posting before I canceled it, sorry!)

I'm not sure where this should be posted, but for lack of a better place
I'm posting here.

Does anyone have/use/have used Coherent on the PC?  I'm interested in
getting a small Unix type kernel up on my PC, and I'm not sure which one
to go with.  If Coherent is not a good thing to go with, could anyone make
a suggestion on what would be.  (I'm on a budget, please be gentle)

What version of UNIX is Coherent close to?

Kent Miller

Student Applications Analyst		kmiller@aardvark.ucs.uoknor.edu
Oklahoma University			kpmiller@uokmax.ecn.uoknor.edu

gallo@cs.albany.edu (Andy Gallo) (10/07/90)

	Does anyone have any experience with Coherent, a $99 dollar
	UNIX look-a-like for PC's that allows MSDOS to run as well?

	Please respond via email directly.  Thank you.