[comp.sys.ibm.pc.misc] $99 Quattro offer

jgarland@kean.ucs.mun.ca (08/30/90)

> As a registered owner of Turbo C 2.0 on the theory that any time
> you can buy a $495 piece of software for
> $99, you should do it, and lo and behold, I all of a sudden have lots of
> uses for a professional quality spreadsheet.
>
> Borland can send me these offers any day.  I am aware that Q Pro is probably
> going to be upgraded fairly soon, and that the upgrade fee is probably going
> to be considerably more than $99, but I'll probably go ahead and get the
> upgrade.

Don't be so sure, Borland's upgrades tend to be quite
reasonable--especially at the .X level.

> This strategy is a lot like that of the drug pushers, and IBM - start 'em off
> cheap and get 'em hooked, and then hit 'em when they can't do without your
> product.  Too bad other vendors haven't figured this out.

>     Al Shing (ashing@cac.washington.edu)

For what it's worth, all I can say is *ME TOO*.  Quattro Pro has been
a joy to use, and I've never used, or thought I needed, a spreadsheet
before.

John Garland

jgarland@mun                   Bitnet
jgarland@kean.ucs.mun.ca       Internet

stone@cunixb.cc.columbia.edu (Glenn Stone) (09/02/90)

In article <130110@kean.ucs.mun.ca> jgarland@kean.ucs.mun.ca writes:

>> As a registered owner of Turbo C 2.0 on the theory that any time
>> you can buy a $495 piece of software for
>> $99, you should do it, and lo and behold, I all of a sudden have lots of
>> uses for a professional quality spreadsheet.

The academic price is cheaper yet: $69.  Contact their educational
division.  They have fantastic academic discounts on all their products
(if I remember correctly, we got Paradox for $79!).

On a related matter:  if anyone uses both Quattro Pro and 123 Version 3,
would you provide a comparison?

Thanks --

  Glenn Davis Stone              INTERNET  stone@cunixb.cc.columbia.edu
  Columbia University                UUCP rutgers!columbia!cunixb!stone

dgil@pa.reuter.COM (Dave Gillett) (09/02/90)

I got one of these offers about a month ago, and sent in my order for it.  I
haven't received the software yet.

But I have gotten three more copies of the offer, all in the last 72 hours.
This seems a bit ridiculous.  One at the office and one at home might be
tolerable, but the two at the office differed only in that one showed my
department name and the other my title...

The other thing that I found a bit silly is that Borland has pre-coded them
all with *my* name and address.  I assume they know that their saturation
mailing is likely to produce duplicates.  Perhaps they don't realize that
there is also a good chance that some people who qualify for their offer
will not be on any of the mailiing lists they're using.  If the order forms
weren't pre-coded, I could pass them along to qualified friends who didn't
happen to get one, but since they are I guess all I can do is throw them
out.
                                              Dave

cotner@skippy.berkeley.edu (09/03/90)

In article <366@saxony.pa.reuter.COM> dgil@pa.reuter.COM (Dave Gillett) writes:
>I got one of these offers about a month ago, and sent in my order for it.
>But I have gotten three more copies of the offer, all in the last 72 hours.
>The other thing that I found a bit silly is that Borland has pre-coded them
>all with *my* name and address.  I assume they know that their saturation
>mailing is likely to produce duplicates.  Perhaps they don't realize that
>there is also a good chance that some people who qualify for their offer
>will not be on any of the mailiing lists they're using.  If the order forms
>weren't pre-coded, I could pass them along to qualified friends who didn't
>happen to get one, but since they are I guess all I can do is throw them
>out.
>                                              Dave

I think you can order them for your friends, and then just let them send
in the registration card themselves.  If this is like at least one other
Borland offer I have seen, the software comes as a complete package as if
you had bought it at a store, with nothing to identify it differently.
Your (qualified*) friends can just fill out the registration and send it
in themselves.

(* I don't know if Borland considers 'qualified' to mean only previous
customers, or anyone with $99.)

By the way, I have gotten two of their mailings with other people's
certificates inside the envelopes (I forwarded them).

Carl Cotner
cotner@math.berkeley.edu

dgil@pa.reuter.COM (Dave Gillett) (09/04/90)

In <1990Sep3.003012.27082@agate.berkeley.edu> cotner@skippy.berkeley.edu writes:

>(* I don't know if Borland considers 'qualified' to mean only previous
>customers, or anyone with $99.)

As far as I can tell, "qualified" for this offer means "able to demonstrate
ownership of some other spreadsheet package".  It's not clear whether one will
actually be required to furnish such proof, or whether the previous software
must run on the same system as Quattro.
                                                Dave

ralphs@halcyon.wa.com (Ralph Sims) (09/04/90)

dgil@pa.reuter.COM (Dave Gillett) writes:

> In <1990Sep3.003012.27082@agate.berkeley.edu> cotner@skippy.berkeley.edu writ
>
>>(* I don't know if Borland considers 'qualified' to mean only previous
>>customers, or anyone with $99.)

> As far as I can tell, "qualified" for this offer means "able to demonstrate
> ownership of some other spreadsheet package".  It's not clear whether one wil
> actually be required to furnish such proof, or whether the previous software
> must run on the same system as Quattro.

Where's that junk mail when I need it.  Title page of documentation, original
disk, etc.  I think that's what they required.  I'd like to send in my copy
of Framework II, but that wasn't on their list of 'approved' packages. |-(

funkstr@ucscb.UCSC.EDU (Larry Hastings) (09/04/90)

+-In article <378@saxony.pa.reuter.COM>, dgil@pa.reuter.COM (Dave Gillett) wrote:-
+----------

| In <1990Sep3.003012.27082@agate.berkeley.edu> cotner@skippy.berkeley.edu
| writes:
|
| >(* I don't know if Borland considers 'qualified' to mean only previous
| >customers, or anyone with $99.)
|
| As far as I can tell, "qualified" for this offer means "able to demonstrate
| ownership of some other spreadsheet package".
read "Phillipe Khan" at Borland's address -- there was no mention on the
envelope of Borland) that offered me Quattro for $99.  (I probably got three
copies of this letter, over the span of several months... as did my housemate,
and my best friend, whose only dealing with Borland was his purchase of
Sidekick for the Mac...)

My letter also said that I could buy a special "red-stickered" copy of Quattro
Pro from a "participating dealer" by presenting the order form to them
directly.  I took my letter from Phillipe Khan down to the local Software Etc.
and got a Quattro Pro right off the shelf for $99.  This was, however, their
last red-stickered copy, and I don't think they were getting any more in -- the
whole $99 Quattro Pro deal has been going on since Quattro Pro was first
released.  I don't know if Borland is still offering Quattro Pro for $99
directly (call 'em and ask if it'll help), but I think that a red-stickered
copy of Quattro Pro in a local store will still be good.

+----------
| It's not clear whether one will actually be required to furnish such proof,
+----------

I was able to find the original box for my Quattro Pro,  and the red sticker
reads:

1-2-3 OWNERS*
STEP UP TO QUATTRO PRO FOR ONLY U.S. $99.95 SUGGESTED RETAIL PRICE
* OFFER ALSO GOOD FOR OWNERS OF:
  SYMPHONY
  SUPERCALC
  EXCEL
Proof that you own any version of one of the spreadsheets listed above is
required.  Present an original page or disk at point of purchase.  Offer good
in U.S./Canada only.
SINGLE MEDIA ONLY- SEE BACK OF BOX

(The red-stickered editions of Quattro Pro only have either 5.25" or 3.5" disks
in them.)

--
larry hastings, the galactic funkster, funkstr@ucscb.ucsc.edu

I don't speak for Knowledge Dynamics or UC Santa Cruz, nor do they speak for me

"I said to my girlfriend 'What do you want?' and she said 'Oh, just get me
 something crazy and expensive that I don't even need'... so I signed her up
 for radiation treatments." --Emo Phillips

dgil@pa.reuter.COM (Dave Gillett) (09/06/90)

I just got my credit card statement, and it seems Borland charged me for
Quattro a month ago.  I sure hope that's not when my 60-day free trial started,
because I still haven't received the software.

(The "Borland Technical Support" number in my Turbo Pascal manuals is no
longer in service.  The new Byte came last week, and they've got an add
targetting their $99 offer at 1-2-3 users, with an 800 number.  So I'll
try calling that....)
                                           Dave

In <385@saxony.pa.reuter.COM> I wrote:

>I just got my credit card statement, and it seems Borland charged me for
>Quattro a month ago.  I sure hope that's not when my 60-day free trial started,
>because I still haven't received the software.

>(The "Borland Technical Support" number in my Turbo Pascal manuals is no
>longer in service.  The new Byte came last week, and they've got an add
>targetting their $99 offer at 1-2-3 users, with an 800 number.  So I'll
>try calling that....)

Well, the folks at the 800 number gave me the new Customer Support number.
I called that, and they were able to track down my order.

Another problem with pre-coding the name and address on the offer forms is
that they get sent to people like me, who've just moved across the continent.
So even though I sent the order from California, they dutifully tried to
send the software to my old address in Toronto.  Canada Post has been very
good about forwarding my mail, and so have the people at my office, and we
have a fallback arrangement with a neighbor--but this shipment missed all
of those and was, presumeably, returned as undeliverable.  I gave the
Customer Support person my new address, and she says I should have it
shortly....
                                                Dave

dlh@polari.UUCP (dave holo) (09/07/90)

In article <378@saxony.pa.reuter.COM> dgil@pa.reuter.COM (Dave Gillett) writes:
>In <1990Sep3.003012.27082@agate.berkeley.edu> cotner@skippy.berkeley.edu writes:
>ownership of some other spreadsheet package".  It's not clear whether one will
>actually be required to furnish such proof, or whether the previous software
>must run on the same system as Quattro.

I too got several of the letters, but I just tossed them ... this was several
months back .... then last weekend I happened to see one of the red stickered
boxes in a local software shop ....... the tag said "any version of" .... so
I took the supercalc disk I had for my old Osborne I cp/m machine and used it
to qualify for the $99 upgrade to Quattro for my 386.  I've been running an
early version of VP Planner which seemed to work for most of my needs, but I
just couldn't pass up "such a deal."  I'll have to admit, Quattro is an
amazing product it's fast, easy, does great graphs, it's dot matrix drivers
are incredible, and it appears to be so well done that I have already
started using it for applications that I previously would not have considered
spreadsheet problems. .... I'm impressed .... I can't compare it to current
Lotus, I haven't used it, but I would have to consider Quattro among the better
software products I own.

Anyway, at least for the red-stickered boxes at your local retailer, damn near
anything appears to qualify.

Dave

leo@hoss.unl.edu (Leo Chouinard) (09/08/90)

In <1990Sep1.201326.13797@cunixf.cc.columbia.edu> stone@cunixb.cc.columbia.edu (Glenn Stone) writes:

>The academic price is cheaper yet: $69.  Contact their educational
>division.  They have fantastic academic discounts on all their products
>(if I remember correctly, we got Paradox for $79!).

Interesting.  I might be interested in obtaining Quattro Pro, and I might
be able to interest my department.  Two questions:

1)  Does anyone have a direct address/phone number for Borland's
educational division?

2)  What are Borland's policies on educational discounts?  Does it have
to be an institutional purchase, or do individuals (faculty/students)
qualify for those discounts?  (Sorry, I guess that's three questions!  :-)

bobmon@iuvax.cs.indiana.edu (RAMontante) (09/08/90)

leo@hoss.unl.edu (Leo Chouinard) <1990Sep07.182229.4838@hoss.unl.edu> :

| 2)  What are Borland's policies on educational discounts?  Does it have
| to be an institutional purchase, or do individuals (faculty/students)
| qualify for those discounts?  (Sorry, I guess that's three questions!  :-)

At I.U. the University Computing Services organization has apparently
arranged something with Borland (and various other vendors).  I got a
preprinted coupon from them for a Quattro or Quattro Pro package, which
had a blank for the course that I would use the software in --- I was
advised to specify A200, which by coincidence is a "computer literacy"
course that might well cover spreadsheets.  (In fact, I use the
spreadsheet to hold rosters for courses I teach, such as "operating
systems".)

I don't have an educational division address, since I mailed in the coupon,
but here is:
	Borland
	1800 Green Hills Road
	POBox 660001
	Scotts Valley, CA  95066-0001
	attention:  Educational Marketing  (or some plausible phrase)

	Customer service:  408-438-5300

tangential comments follow:

I ordered the basic Quattro spreadsheet, which is $49 and would have
done what I need.  After I got through the operators and cried that
they'd sent me a completely incorrect package, a very nice Customer
Service Rep.  sent me a Quattro Pro package in two days and told me to
just keep the other thing.  (I now have not only Quattro Pro, but a
license pack to network it as soon as I install ethernet and a second
node in my efficiency apartment :-)

Looking at all their literature, it is my impression that A) Borland wants
to price things at levels that will reassure corporate accountants --- $495
looks like what corporate software *should* cost;  B) they want the sort of
mass sales they get from reasonable prices; so  C) they are extremely
flexible about "discounts" and "special sales" and whatnot whose purpose
is to entice you to spend roughly $100 - $150 on something with a much
higher "list price".

BTW, at $100 - $150 I would say that Quattro Pro would be a very good deal
to someone who needed a full-featured spreadsheet/printing thing (that
wasn't me).  At $69, I can happily ignore the useless Bitstream fonts and
multiple graphs and things, and sort, query, etc. my gradebooks.  And I
*will* find a use for that Linear Programming feature ("Advanced Math"
menu).  As for Borland, my long-time impression is that their marketing
organization is chronically in a state of chaos, but their hearts are
in the right place.  I like the experiences I've had with the company, and
I expect to continue to be their customer.

lodzins@pilot.njin.net (Dean Lodzinski) (09/10/90)

Here is a phone number for Scholar Program Questions for Borland:
   408/438-5300 and press 2 for Customer Service

It says on their Borland Scholar Program Price List that "you are
eligible if you're a faculty or staff member of an accredited high
school or college and you plan to use Borland software as part of your
professional responsibilities on campus.  Instructors and staff can
order for themselves and thier students by sending us a letter on
departmental letterhead."

Hope that helps.
--

Dean Lodzinski         DEAN_L@TURBO.Kean.edu, lodzins@pilot.njin.net
47 Mercury Circle      csra19@TURBO.Kean.edu or D.LODZINSKI on GEnie

stone@cunixb.cc.columbia.edu (Glenn Stone) (10/07/90)

In article <1990Sep07.182229.4838@hoss.unl.edu> leo@hoss.unl.edu (Leo Chouinard) writes:
>In <1990Sep1.201326.13797@cunixf.cc.columbia.edu> stone@cunixb.cc.columbia.edu (Glenn Stone) writes:

>>The academic price is cheaper yet: $69.  Contact their educational
>>division.  They have fantastic academic discounts on all their products
>>(if I remember correctly, we got Paradox for $79!).
>
>Interesting.  I might be interested in obtaining Quattro Pro, and I might
>be able to interest my department.  Two questions:
>
>1)  Does anyone have a direct address/phone number for Borland's
>educational division?

Education Dept.
Borland Int.
1700 Green Hills Rd.
Scotts Valley, CA  95066-0020

The number I have is 408-439-1064 but it might be out of date; you can
always call the main switchboard 408-438-8400.  Educational Sales manager
as of a few months ago was John Seamster at 408-439-1072.

>2)  What are Borland's policies on educational discounts?  Does it have
>to be an institutional purchase, or do individuals (faculty/students)
>qualify for those discounts?  (Sorry, I guess that's three questions!  :-)

Once you establish your credentials and get a customer number, you get the
discounts on any purchase. e.g., you can call the educ. dept and give a
credit card number.

  Glenn Davis Stone              INTERNET  stone@cunixb.cc.columbia.edu
  Columbia University                UUCP rutgers!columbia!cunixb!stone

stone@cunixb.cc.columbia.edu (Glenn Stone) (10/07/90)

You may notice a recent posting in which I provided information on the
Borland educational discounts program.  I just found a more recent
brochure.  Ignore that post.  here is more recent information...

>1)  Does anyone have a direct address/phone number for Borland's
>educational division?

Information on the Scholar Program: 408-438-5300, press 2

write to  Educational Sales Dept.
          Borland Intl.
          1800 Green Hills Rd.
          P.O. Box 660001
          Scotts Valley, CA  95066-0001

>2)  What are Borland's policies on educational discounts?  Does it have
>to be an institutional purchase, or do individuals (faculty/students)
>qualify for those discounts?  (Sorry, I guess that's three questions!  :-)

You're eligible if you're a teacher, administrator, student or staff at any
accredited HS or college in the country, and if you use their software for
evaluation, course text, in a lab, or as any part of your professional
responsibilities.