[comp.sys.ibm.pc.misc] X windows on PCs - Who has the best ??

rob@lafayet.UUCP (Rob Freyder) (08/15/90)

We are looking at setting up some AT and 386 boxes as X Workstations. We
know we might be dreaming trying to do this with an AT but we figured we had
better investigate it anyway.

We are aware of the packages from the following people.

Graphic Software Systems
Interactive Systems
Locus Computing

Can Anyone comment on X products from the 3 above or others that
they have used ?    We would be interested in a site license and
would need to set these systems up with tcp/ip.

thanks.
--
Rob Freyder                                  Core Laboratories a division of
____    ____     ____                        Western Atlas International Inc.

ingersol@milton.u.washington.edu (Steve Ingersoll) (08/16/90)

	I am currently running Graphic Software Systems PC-X view V1.2 on
a Zenith 12mhz 386 with 2mb of memory. The network software I am using is
ftp PC/TCP Network Software for DOS. I am also running 4DOS 3.01.

	The only problems I have seen are:

	1) Sometimes I can only move a window in one direction at a time (left
 right or up down).
	2) Exit to DOS does not give me the 4DOS commands ( I have not
 investigated this problem very much ).

	Overall the performance is very good in comparison with the NCD
 terminals. I also understand that they have fixed some problems with the new
 release as well as increased the performance.

Steve Ingersoll
University of Washington
Seattle Washington
ingersoll@cac.washington.edu

cogan@eng.umd.edu (Richard Cogan) (08/17/90)

I use locus computing X server, Xsight, release 2.0 on a gateway 2000 25mhz
running DOS 3.3, I have an ATI VGA 1024 video card and a 3Com 3c501(yes I know
only 8 bit). Xsight runs okay but is very slow (I'm used to a SUN 360s and
DECstations running X11R4). Since my video card has 512k memory I can create
a virtual window bigger than my actual screen size.

I only have two real problems with it.

1) There is no way to unload the locus TCP/IP drivers from memory without
   rebooting the computer. Since the computer is not a standalone X terminal
   this gets to be a pain because I have to switch autoexec.bat and config.sys
   files.

2) The version that I have does not specifically support my video card. If
   it did I would get better results out of Xsight. Locus has not informed
   me as to whether there is a newer version that supports my video card.

Rich Cogan
CALCE Center
University of Maryland
e-mail: cogan@eng.umd.edu

benny@vlss.amdahl.com (Benny Schnaider) (08/28/90)

To:  	Rob Freyder
		Core Laboratories
From:	Len Jacobson, Amdahl Corporation (len@vlss.amdahl.com)

I have been using XVision from VisionWare, Ltd., on a 286, using FTP's
PC/TCP communications software via a 3COM 3C503 Ethernet board.  For one
that does not need to work "heavily" within the X environment, I find it
an excellent solution.

It requires Microsoft Windows (I am using 3.0).  That means that I have
my normal PC windows and I have "X" windows.  Actually, XVision works in
either "multi-window" or "single-window" mode.  The "multi" means that
each X client has its own Microsoft window and that Microsoft Windows
handles much of the windowing -- more efficient that way.  The "single"
approach means there is one X window, inside of which you have as many
X clients as you wish (see caveat later).  I actually prefer working this
way, as it is closer to the real X feel.  Nonetheless, you should realize
that the more efficient way is "multi" windowing.

Since the PC is color, the X, naturally, provides color.  With one
exception, I have not had any problem with the color.  It has only been
an asset.  The one exception is FrameMaker -- just yesterday I tried for the
first time to use it and it complained that the colors weren't setup
correctly.  I haven't tried to resolve this yet, but I assume it will be no
problem.

So far as running on a 286, it is slow in setting up the environment.  It
takes about 60 sections before I see my first X window.  On a 386, I assume it
would be much faster.  Until I get all my windows set up just the way I like
takes about 1 1/2 minutes more.  Once set up, I have two mailbox windows, one
to a Sun workstation and one to a mainframe, I have a "manual browser" from
another mainframe, I have a "workload" figure from a Sun, and I have four
working windows, two on Suns and two on mainframes, these last two using
"tn3270" to give me true 3270 compatibility.  And that works nicely, too.

Again, but for setup, I think the response is fine.  I have good control of
moving windows around, resizing them, iconizing them, opening them up, etc.

By the way, my screen is a MultiSync 3D, with a video adapter from Video Seven,
512K video RAM.  This provides 1024x768 resolution.  It means I can devote
one half of my screen to PC and one half to X, and the X side is wide enough
to give me a full 80x24 character screen.  The size of the lettering is
small, but I can live with it.  I think a better solution, however, would be
to have a 16" or even 19" monitor.  I'm looking into that now.

The only big problem that I have is that XVision has a limit, unfortunately,
of only ten X clients.  For a serious user, that is a very bad limitation.
Additionally, a bug in the system causes it to die a most unglorious death
when you try to create the eleventh client.  As my mother would say, "You
shouldn't know from such things."  PC/TCP from FTP, however, allows you
to set a limit on the number of TCP/IP connections, and this precludes my
ever asking for the eleventh client.  Visionware is aware of the bug and
is coming out with a correction.  They also recognize that ten clients is
a very low number.  They aren't saying when they'll have a version allowing
more than ten.

That's about it.  In summary, it's a very good solution for one who has
strong ties to the PC world, but needs a "window" (no pun intended) to the
X world.

ti@altos86.Altos.COM (Ti Kan) (08/29/90)

In article <BENNY.90Aug27102543@dimona.vlss.amdahl.com> benny@vlss.amdahl.com (Benny Schnaider) writes:
>I have been using XVision from VisionWare, Ltd., on a 286, using FTP's
>PC/TCP communications software via a 3COM 3C503 Ethernet board...

I, too, have been using XVision (v3.0) on a 16MHz 386, with FTP's PC/TCP
and 3COM 3C503.  My video adapter is an Orchid Prodesigner VGA with
512K memory.  Monitor is NEC Multisync 3D.  The only real difference
between your setup and mine is that I have Windows 2.0 (both the 286 and
the 386 versions).  I have not been altogether happy with this setup.
Performance, in my opinion, is abysmal.  This is especially bad if you
run XVision in the single-window mode (and use a UNIX window manager
instead), or if Windows/286 is used.  The only nice advantage to using
XVision over other PC X-window packages is the ability to concurrently
run DOS applications in an MS-window and X client windows.  You do pay
dearly in sacrificing performance to get this.  I also have not been
able to get into any more screen resolution than 640x480 and 8 colors
with XVision.  From all the documentation that I read about XVision
and MS-Windows, I could not find a way to reconfigure it.  Maybe I
am overlooking something.

I have since switched to using Locus' PC-XSight X Window package,
and Locus' TCP/IP for the PC.  This package, compared to XVision,
flat out screams.  It is seems more than 10x the speed!  Moreover,
I can use UNIX window managers like mwm, and have true X window
look-and-feel.  PC-XSight allows you to pop into DOS in full-screen
mode, suspending X, and can resume back when the DOS session is done.
This is not as nice as XVision, but I can live with this given the
vast performance advantage.  PC-Xsight isn't perfect, however,
occasionally my X server would hang (popping into DOS is possible, but
the X session cannot be resumed), and requires rebooting the PC
(and restarting xdm on the UNIX host) to recover.

I have also tried to use GSS Software's PC-XView, but for some reason
I couldn't get it to work.  I can get into the X-window screen, but
the UNIX host cannot get any clients started on it.  I assume it was
configuration problem, but since I had Locus' product working reasonably
well, I abandoned trying to get this package to work.  It would be
interesting though, to see how well it stacks up against PC-XSight.

-Ti
-Ti
--
Ti Kan                                                                  \\\
vorsprung durch technik!                                                 \\\

sasjcm@segovia.unx.sas.com (James McNealy) (09/18/90)

In article <520@lafayet.UUCP>, rob@lafayet.UUCP (Rob Freyder) writes:
> Can Anyone comment on X products from the 3 above or others that
> they have used ?    We would be interested in a site license and
> would need to set these systems up with tcp/ip.

I have been looking into this for our QA dept. I saw a demo of a product
here at the institute called HCL-eXceed Plus, from Hummingbird
Communications ltd. It was used with FTP's PC/TCP product. HCL-eXceed requires:
     o   An IBM AT or 386 based PC
     o   640K RAM below 1 Mb.
     o   minimum 1 Mb RAM above 1 Mb.
     o   EGA or VGA
     o   Microsoft mouse
     o   hard disk (no size spec.)
     o   network card that handles tcp/ip

We found that the system above worked well with most of the X systems at
the institute. I'm not sure of the cost for a site license, I will be
investigating this issue soon.
Hummingbird is in Ontario Canada and can be reached at (416)470-1207.

andy@mks.com (Andy Toy) (09/19/90)

In article <1990Sep18.125046.29733@unx.sas.com> sasjcm@segovia.unx.sas.com (James McNealy) writes:
>I have been looking into this for our QA dept. I saw a demo of a product
>here at the institute called HCL-eXceed Plus, from Hummingbird
>Communications ltd. It was used with FTP's PC/TCP product.

I am using it with SUN Microsystems' PC-NFS.

>HCL-eXceed requires:
>     o   An IBM AT or 386 based PC
>     o   640K RAM below 1 Mb.
>     o   minimum 1 Mb RAM above 1 Mb.

I only have one Mbyte of RAM in my AT and it works.

>     o   EGA or VGA

I am using it with an ATI VGA Wonder card on a NEC Multisync GS, but the
output on someone else's Princeton MAX-15 looks noticably better.

>     o   Microsoft mouse
>     o   hard disk (no size spec.)
>     o   network card that handles tcp/ip

Note that HCL-eXceed and HCL eXceed Plus are differnent products.
--
Andy Toy, Mortice Kern Systems Inc.,       Internet: andy@mks.com
  35 King Street North, Waterloo,       UUCP: uunet!watmath!mks!andy

andy@mks.com (Andy Toy) (10/03/90)

In article <4d238f0b.20b6d@apollo.HP.COM> nelson_p@apollo.HP.COM (Peter Nelson) writes:
>>Hummingbird is in Ontario Canada and can be reached at (416)470-1207.
>
>   When I called that number I got a modem carrier.   Is it a real
>   company or is it "two guys in their basement"?

The number above is their FAX number.  Their VOX number is 416-470-1203.

>   So what's the story?  What's out there for X on PC's?  Thanks in
>   advance for any pointers.

Since you have a 386 PC, you should be able to run X server and clients
under UNIX.  X is available for PCs running System V/386 from various
vendors such as ISC, SCO, Everex,...  I have only seen X server
software for PCs running DOS.
--

stever@Octopus.COM (Steve Resnick ) (10/04/90)

In article <4d2d6d99.28499@apollo.HP.COM> nelson_p@apollo.HP.COM (Peter Nelson) writes:

>  From: andy@mks.com (Andy Toy)
>
>>>   So what's the story?  What's out there for X on PC's?  Thanks in
>>>   advance for any pointers.
>>
>>Since you have a 386 PC, you should be able to run X server and clients
>>under UNIX.  X is available for PCs running System V/386 from various
>>vendors such as ISC, SCO, Everex,...  I have only seen X server
>>software for PCs running DOS.
>

>   But then I have to use UNIX.  Not that I mind UNIX for certain
>   things, after all, it's the OS I use at work.  But I use DOS
>   at home because I want to take advantage of the apps which are
>   available for DOS.
>
>      [ And I hope nobody buys that horseshit about "DOS
>        compatibility mode" -- I have Windows 3.0 and Desqview
>        and neither one of them can run 80% of the DOS apps
>        I use regularly-- either because the ones I use do
>        graphics and take over the hardware, or because they
>        play games with DMA and IRQ's as with backup and other
>        utilities.   I have no reason to assume that UNIX with
>        a DOS compatibility mode would do any better! ]
>
>   So anyway I posted my question a week or so ago -- and is this
>   the consensus?  That there currently IS no X client/server combo
>   for PC's running DOS except for the to-be-released QuarterDeck
>   product?   Does anyone know anything about their product like
>   cost or system requirements?    Thanks in advance.
>
>                                                   ---Peter

The leaflet I have here, says DESQview X will run on an 8086 with 640K,
but I think you will be EXTREMELY limited. You will probably do better on
a 2-4MB 80386. (This is what they ran at their announcement). I don't know
about cost, I will guess that it's going to be somewhere around $200-$250.

Cheers!
Steve

steve.resnick@f105.n143.z1.FIDONET.ORG - or - apple!camphq!105!steve.resnick
Flames, grammar errors, spelling errrors >/dev/nul

unhd (Roger Gonzalez ) (10/04/90)

>Since you have a 386 PC, you should be able to run X server and clients
>under UNIX.  X is available for PCs running System V/386 from various
>vendors such as ISC, SCO, Everex,...  I have only seen X server
>software for PCs running DOS.

I just got the glossies for DESQview 386/X, which operates as both server
and client.  It looks great, but "until spring" it is still vaporware.

-Roger
--
"The question of whether a computer can think is no more interesting
 than the question of whether a submarine can swim" - Edsgar W. Dijkstra

werner@aecom.yu.edu (Craig Werner) (10/07/90)

	Back in the spring at PC Expo, they said October. Well, it's
October.  Does anybody know whether its just a question of it not being
Bug-free yet, or whether they are just so overwhelmed getting the DPMI
compatible version of Desqview-386 out (5.1/2.3) that they are waiting
for the dust to settle?
--
	        Craig Werner   (future MD/PhD, 5.5 years down, 2.5 to go)
	     werner@aecom.YU.EDU -- Albert Einstein College of Medicine