[comp.sys.ibm.pc.misc] SCSI driver & QEMM

blair@pyro.ei.dupont.com (Grant Bair) (09/28/90)

Sorry for posting, but e-mail to uhcc.hawaii.edu keeps bouncing.

In article <9558@uhccux.uhcc.Hawaii.Edu> wan@uhccux.UUCP (Dadong Wan) writes:
>Does anyone out there know how I can make an SCSI HD driver (Mactor XT8380,
>360 MB) work with QEMM386? I've tried to run OPTIMIZE after I installed the
>the HD driver, but it reboots itself after the first 2 steps (supposed to
>run the 3rd step). I would like to load some device drivers and buffers to
>the high memory so I can have at least 600K conventional Ram for my
>application programs. The machine I have is a Rayton 25Mhz 385 with 4MB ram.
>Any help from any of you will be greately appreciated.
>
>--Dadong
>(wan@uhccux.uhcc.hawaii.edu, wan@uhccux.bitnet)

I've never seen your particular driver, but I know I had some problems with
the Columbia Data SCSI ROM (usually residing on a Western Digital card). The
initial symptoms were identical to yours: quits the setup after 2 steps.
The problem was solved by calling Columbia Data to get a new release of their
ROM: it was an undersight on behalf of the original ROM programmers. It is
quite possible that you have a similar problem.

|Grant C Blair, DuPont Imaging Systems, Newark, DE 19702, USA                 |
|blair@pyro.ei.dupont.com (192.58.195.64)        (302)-733-9533               |

scotte@applix.com (Scott Evernden) (10/03/90)

In article <9558@uhccux.uhcc.Hawaii.Edu> wan@uhccux.UUCP (Dadong Wan) writes:
>Does anyone out there know how I can make an SCSI HD driver (Mactor XT8380,
>360 MB) work with QEMM386?

You didn't mention it, so I'll ask: did you try DISKBUF=2 with QEMM386?

-scott

srm@dimacs.rutgers.edu (Scott R. Myers) (10/08/90)

In article <1083@applix.com> scotte@applix.com (Scott Evernden) writes:

>In article <9558@uhccux.uhcc.Hawaii.Edu> wan@uhccux.UUCP (Dadong Wan) writes:
>Does anyone out there know how I can make an SCSI HD driver (Mactor XT8380,
>360 MB) work with QEMM386?

I had a problem with using a Plus Impulse Drive and a IDE drive where
in both cases the controller card had its own BIOS.  The fix for me in
this case was to find the Memory address for the cards and put this in
my config.sys

device=qemm.sys exclude=c800-c9ff ram
                ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
		This piece right here tells qemm to stay away from
		segment of memory.

Hope this helps...

srm

--

				Scott R. Myers

Snail:	26 Stiles Street			Phone:(201)352-4162
        Apartment 18
	Elizabeth, NJ 07201

Arpa:	srm@dimacs.rutgers.edu			Uucp: ..!dimacs!srm

		"... No matter where you go, there you are ..."