[comp.sys.ibm.pc.misc] Info on Roland LAPC-1 wanted

liggio@cunixf.cc.columbia.edu (Vincent J. Liggio) (10/05/90)

Does anyone out there in netland know anything about this card, and its
price, capabilities, etc...  I saw an add for it in Roland magazine, but it
really didn't give me any specifics about it, but it did get me interested.
It supposedly is the only true MIDI board out there for the PC, and from
what I gleamed from the article it can handle soundblaster and/or adlib
sound.  Am I way off base?  Please email any responses.

Vince

Stallion                                                                Tigger
| USnail   :   533 John Jay Hall, Columbia University, NY, NY  10027         |
| INTERNET :             liggio@cunixf.cc.columbia.edu                       |
| BITNET   :                  liggio@cunixf.bitnet                           |
| UUCP     :          {rutgers,topaz}!columbia!cunixf!liggio                 |

liggio@cunixf.cc.columbia.edu (Vincent J. Liggio) (10/05/90)

Does anyone know anything about the Roland LAPC-1 MIDI interface card?  I
just saw it on the back of Roland Magazine.  The article told me little
about it, but it sure inticed me to find out more.  Has anyone actually
bought the card?  Any price ranges?  I inferred from the ad that it is
SoundBlaster and/or AdLib compatible, as well as being the only 'true' MIDI
interface for PC's (so they said).  Any suggestions or comments?

jmerrill@jarthur.Claremont.EDU (Jason Merrill) (10/09/90)

In article <1990Oct5.163121.1701@cunixf.cc.columbia.edu> liggio@cunixf.cc.columbia.edu (Vincent J. Liggio) writes:
>Does anyone know anything about the Roland LAPC-1 MIDI interface card?  I
>just saw it on the back of Roland Magazine.  The article told me little
>about it, but it sure inticed me to find out more.  Has anyone actually
>bought the card?  Any price ranges?  I inferred from the ad that it is
>SoundBlaster and/or AdLib compatible, as well as being the only 'true' MIDI
>interface for PC's (so they said).  Any suggestions or comments?

On the contrary, the LAPC-1 is NOT a MIDI interface card.  It is basically a
Roland MT-32 synth on a card, and won PC Mag's Technical Excellence award in
the Entertainment category for 1989.  Still, I'd rather have a MIDI card and
a Roland D-10...but that's just me.  Of course, I can't afford either option.

--
Jason Merrill				jmerrill@jarthur.claremont.edu