[comp.sys.ibm.pc.misc] Intel's SatisFAXtion PC FAX/Modem Board

skl@van-bc.wimsey.bc.ca (Samuel Lam) (10/03/90)

Does anyone have any experience/comment on the Intel SatisFAXtion
Fax/Modem board?

I read about this board in an ad in this month's Byte, and it
sounds like a pretty good deal.  The US$399 price includes a
send/receive Fax board with a builtin 2400 baud MNP modem
(backed by Intel's 5-year warranty) plus the PC-Tools 6.0 and
FaxIt software bundled in.

What weren't clear in the ad were the speed of the Fax modem
and the level of MNP that the 2400 baud modem supports.

Thanks in advance for any information.

...Sam
--
Internet: <skl@wimsey.bc.ca>	UUCP: {van-bc,ubc-cs,uunet}!wimsey.bc.ca!skl

frankv@skat.usc.edu (Frank Vargas) (10/09/90)

In article <2319@van-bc.wimsey.bc.ca> skl@wimsey.bc.ca (Samuel Lam) writes:
>Does anyone have any experience/comment on the Intel SatisFAXtion
>Fax/Modem board?
>...Sam
>--
I have used the INTEL Coprocessor FAX Card in a Compatible AT
clone.  It works really well, but has some associated overhead.
We also use the HP scanner, more overhead.  We use QEMM from
Desqview to load these drivers hi and reduce the overhead.

I also have a question.

I am interested in getting some type of conversion program or driver
that will take HP PCL printed (file) output and convert it to either
postcript or anything else which contains the total page count or
page-eject/form feed codes.

Since Computer FAX drivers do a similar conversion prior to
transmitting, I thought there might be some gurus out there that had
tackled this problem before.  I want to use this to help me keep an
accurate record of "printed" pages on my Novell net (a similar posting
went out on alt.novell)

Thanks in advance for your response.  :-)
Frank Vargas				(213) 224-5542 Voice
University of Southern California	(213) 743-3285 FAX
Computing Services			frankv@skat.usc.edu