[comp.sys.ibm.pc.misc] Trident Drivers for GIF programs

ins173w@monu4.cc.monash.edu.au (mr r.c. begg) (09/25/90)

Does anyone out there know of a GIF display program which supports the
TRIDENT chip set for extended VGA modes.  I have this great TVGA card
and no software that will talk to it!

Thanks in advance...

| Richard Begg             internet: ins173w@monu4.cc.monash.edu.au  |
|           3rd year Computer Science - Monash University            |

ins173w@monu4.cc.monash.edu.au (mr r.c. begg) (09/26/90)

I posted this query the other day :

>Does anyone out there know of a GIF display program which supports the
>TRIDENT chip set for extended VGA modes.  I have this great TVGA card
>and no software that will talk to it!
>
>Thanks in advance...

And it appears I was not alone wondering about Trident drivers.  The only
useful response was that the following programs support the Trident chip set:

	cshow82
	vpic29

Both of these files are available by anonymous ftp from funic.funet.fi

| Richard Begg             internet: ins173w@monu4.cc.monash.edu.au  |
|           3rd year Computer Science - Monash University            |

jalbert@cs.ubc.ca (Francois Jalbert) (09/27/90)

Richard mentioned in his last message that CSHOW82 and VPIC29 supported the
TVGA. Well, I tried both in 640*400*256 on my TVGA (8800CS chip) and they don't
seem to work. The screen fills with the picture, but it is strangely mixed. It's
like if you had 9 small images all intermixed over the screen. I tried the
Trident generic driver and the 8900 driver with no difference. My screen can
take 640*400*16 and 640*480*16 and since it's analog, I figured it should take
640*400*256. The salesman did tell me so. So any hints as to what might be
wrong? Are there a zillion Trident chips? I'm just curious. Thanks. Franky

nbladt@aut.UUCP (Norbert Bladt) (09/28/90)

jalbert@cs.ubc.ca (Francois Jalbert) writes:

>Richard mentioned in his last message that CSHOW82 and VPIC29 supported the
>TVGA. Well, I tried both in 640*400*256 on my TVGA (8800CS chip) and they don't
>seem to work. The screen fills with the picture, but it is strangely mixed.
I have the same chipset and CSHOW81B works well for me.
I don't think that such an error was introduced with the latest version of
cshow.

> It's
>like if you had 9 small images all intermixed over the screen. I tried the
>Trident generic driver and the 8900 driver with no difference. My screen can
>take 640*400*16 and 640*480*16 and since it's analog, I figured it should take
>640*400*256. The salesman did tell me so. So any hints as to what might be
>wrong? Are there a zillion Trident chips? I'm just curious. Thanks. Franky
I would guess that the monitor is WRONG, i.e. not a multisync one ? (Never
trust a salesman, read the technical data and the manual first, to check
what COULD be the truth !)
We have a Philips monitor (3CM9809) here and it wouldn't display other
resolutions than the standard VGA one's. Not even 640x480x256 or
360x400x256 and so on. There are some horizontal lines flashing on
the screen, that's it.

Buy a real monitor - I have a 14 inch multisync monitor (noname) connected
to the TVGA board (8800 chips) and it works well.

A question comes to mind: Is it possible to damage a monitor by using, say,
1024x768 resolution while the monitor just can handle up to 640x480 ?

Norbert Bladt.
--
Please use this path as return address. DON'T USE THE RETURN PATH IN THE HEADER
Norbert Bladt, Ascom Autelca AG, Worbstr. 201, CH-3073 Guemligen, Switzerland

ph62303@tut.fi (Hartoma Petri Juhani) (10/10/90)

In article <9757@ubc-cs.UUCP> jalbert@cs.ubc.ca (Francois Jalbert) writes:
>Richard mentioned in his last message that CSHOW82 and VPIC29 supported the
>TVGA. Well, I tried both in 640*400*256 on my TVGA (8800CS chip) and they don't
>seem to work. The screen fills with the picture, but it is strangely mixed. It's

Maybe your graphic card doesn't have enough memory for showing a
picture of that resolution. You should have 512kB of memory to see
(non-emulated) pictures of that resolution.

>like if you had 9 small images all intermixed over the screen. I tried the
>Trident generic driver and the 8900 driver with no difference. My screen can
>take 640*400*16 and 640*480*16 and since it's analog, I figured it should take

I have those 9 vibrating images all the time! :-( What a
disappointment to buy a new card and see that it doesn't work!

> 640*400*256. The salesman did tell me so. So any hints as to what might be
> wrong? Are there a zillion Trident chips? I'm just curious. Thanks. Franky

Never believe what salesmen tell you! Your card might be
malfunctioning. And according to my knowledgement there are zillions
of Trident TVGAs around!

BTW, the newest version of VPIC is vpic30 - also available in
SIMTEL20, nic.funet.fi etc.
--
Petri Hartoma, Tre University of Technology, ph62303@tut.fi, ph62303@tut.UUCP,
mcsun!tut!ph62303, msdos1@nic.funet.fi (PD Group: public@tut.fi)