[comp.sys.ibm.pc.misc] Norton Utilities 5.0 won't low-level-format my disk

dhf@linus.mitre.org (David H. Friedman) (09/25/90)

. First of all, overdue thanks to the people who answered my inquiry a few
weeks ago regarding Norton 5.0 in comparison to SpinRite + Mace, etc. The
latest PC Magazine settled the question for me with a new-product review,
calling it superior to anything on the market including SpinRite and Mace,
although there are still a few rough edges.
  On the strength of this I bought Norton 5.0 and tried defragmenting my
files and consolidating the free disk space. No problems. But when I ran
the Calibrate utility, which is supposed to find the best interleave ratio,
do a low-level format, etc., it told me my disk controller is one of those
that try to "trick" DOS into allowing a max partition of 64 Mb by simply
doubling the sector size, with the standard 2 bytes per FAT entry. (My disk
is a 42 Mb ST251-1, formatted as a single DOS partition.) In short, Calibrate
will not attempt a low-level format on disks with sector-translating, ESDI
and other "funny" controllers, although it will perform diagnostic functions.
  My question now is, what do I do further down the road when my disk starts
to show signs of needing a SpinRite-style low-level format? Fortunately it's
nowhere near that state yet, but I would like to be ready when it gets there.
As before, any advice will be appreciated, and especially helpful replies
will be posted to the net.

dhf@linus.UUCP (David H. Friedman, The MITRE Corporation, Bedford, MA 01730)

timur@seas.gwu.edu (The Time Traveler) (09/25/90)

I heard that it is not possible to handle these "funky" controllers because
of all this sector-translation they do.  I have a PS/2 70 with a 120MB
drive, and only the Reference Disk can do a low-level format.  Software like
Spinrite and Disk Technician can't deal with this.  I don't know whether it
is at all possible to change the interleave, put a low-level format is at
least possible.  It might be impractical to include it in any market software,
however.

In short, these advanced disk repair utilities are becoming more and more
useless, since the number of drives incompatible with them increase.
Unfortunately, I have yet to hear an explanation on this subject that sounds
complete and informative.  Any takers?

dlow@hpspcoi.HP.COM (Danny Low) (09/25/90)

>(David H. Friedman)
>In short, Calibrate
>will not attempt a low-level format on disks with sector-translating, ESDI
>and other "funny" controllers, although it will perform diagnostic functions.
>  My question now is, what do I do further down the road when my disk starts
>to show signs of needing a SpinRite-style low-level format?

All the disk repair programs such as Spinrite et. al. will NOT handle
controllers that are "intelligent" and allow logical I/O (e.g. SCSI
controllers). You have a funny semi-intelligent controller from your
posting. If it is popular, one of the disk repair programs might
support it as a special case. Unfortunately, this lack of a feature
is not well publicized and the list of exceptions that are handled
tend to be very short.

			   Danny Low
    "Question Authority and the Authorities will question You"
	   Valley of Hearts Delight, Silicon Valley
     HP SPCD   dlow%hpspcoi@hplabs.hp.com   ...!hplabs!hpspcoi!dlow

kabra437@pallas.athenanet.com (Ken Abrams) (09/28/90)

In article <15160009@hpspcoi.HP.COM> dlow@hpspcoi.HP.COM (Danny Low) writes:
>>(David H. Friedman)
>>In short, Calibrate
>>will not attempt a low-level format on disks with sector-translating, ESDI
>>and other "funny" controllers, although it will perform diagnostic functions.
>>  My question now is, what do I do further down the road when my disk starts
>>to show signs of needing a SpinRite-style low-level format?

If you have a "modern" drive that uses voice coil technology (or better)
to provide head positioning, it is possible that you will never be in the
position to require such a fix.
These low level formatting utilities are much more useful (and necessary)
for the older MFM drives; expecially the ones that use step motors for
head positioning.  The alternative is to do it the old way.  That is,
back up the drive and then do a destructive low level format.  The means
to do that varies with disk type and maufacturer.

Ken Abrams                     uunet!pallas!kabra437
Illinois Bell                  kabra437@athenanet.com
Springfield                    (voice) 217-753-7965

thorh@tekgvs.LABS.TEK.COM (Thor Hallen) (09/28/90)

	The Norton calibrate utility will not reformat a sector translating
drive but it will mark any bad sectors as unusable.

						Thor Hallen
						Tektronix, Inc.

CHAS@MTUS5.BITNET (Chas. Thompson) (10/12/90)

The Newest Spinrite II v.1.1 handels several intelegent controllers now