[comp.sys.ibm.pc.misc] Screen border colors

chrisb@hubcap.clemson.edu (Chris Behrens) (10/09/90)

How do you set the color of the border on an IBM PC screen ??
The DOS prompt command changes the main portion of the screen,
but leaves a blank border around on the outside. I know this can
be done because some software leaves the border the same color as
the rest of the screen when finished execution.

Is there an escape code that can be tacked on the prompt command,
or some program that can set the border ???

Thank You.
Chris Behrens     ChrisB@Hubcap.Clemson.Edu

ts@uwasa.fi (Timo Salmi) (10/09/90)

In article <10835@hubcap.clemson.edu> chrisb@hubcap.clemson.edu (Chris Behrens) writes:
>How do you set the color of the border on an IBM PC screen ??
>The DOS prompt command changes the main portion of the screen,
>but leaves a blank border around on the outside. I know this can
>be done because some software leaves the border the same color as
>the rest of the screen when finished execution.
>
>Is there an escape code that can be tacked on the prompt command,
>or some program that can set the border ???

This is a feature of CGA and VGA graphics.

If you know how to write a simple program in Turbo Pascal there is a
preprogrammed routine for changing the border color in the
/pc/ts/tspas22.arc Turbo Pascal units collection available by
anonymous ftp or mail server from chyde.uwasa.fi.

Prof. Timo Salmi        (Moderating at anon. ftp site 128.214.12.3)

jrwsnsr@nmt.edu (Jonathan Watts) (10/11/90)

From article <1990Oct9.023220.20459@uwasa.fi>, by ts@uwasa.fi (Timo Salmi):
> In article <10835@hubcap.clemson.edu> chrisb@hubcap.clemson.edu (Chris Behrens) writes:
>>How do you set the color of the border on an IBM PC screen ??
>>The DOS prompt command changes the main portion of the screen,
>>but leaves a blank border around on the outside. I know this can
>>be done because some software leaves the border the same color as
>>the rest of the screen when finished execution.
>>
>>Is there an escape code that can be tacked on the prompt command,
>>or some program that can set the border ???
>
> This is a feature of CGA and VGA graphics.
>
> If you know how to write a simple program in Turbo Pascal there is a
> preprogrammed routine for changing the border color in the
> /pc/ts/tspas22.arc Turbo Pascal units collection available by
> anonymous ftp or mail server from chyde.uwasa.fi.

You can also use the Norton Utilities "sa" program to change the border.
"sa [intensity] [foreground] on [background]" is the normal way to use sa,
with a /N parameter if you don't wish to change the border as well as the
background.  However, I discovered, purely by accident, that "sa on
[background] >NUL" will change the border color, and only the border color.

  - Jonathan Watts

jrwsnsr@jupiter.nmt.edu (Internet address)

linwood@cbnewsk.att.com (linwood.d.johnson) (10/12/90)

And jrwsnsr@nmt.edu (Jonathan Watts) said:

> You can also use the Norton Utilities "sa" program to change the border.
> "sa [intensity] [foreground] on [background]" is the normal way to use sa,
> with a /N parameter if you don't wish to change the border as well as the
> background.  However, I discovered, purely by accident, that "sa on
> [background] >NUL" will change the border color, and only the border color.

  Well people - I have only one thing to add to that.

  With the Not so new Norton Utilities (version 4.5 and greater) the sa command
  and a couple of others were all lumped together into BE (Batch Enhancer).

  I believe that the syntax is basically the same though:
		be sa [intensity] [foreground] on [background];
		or be sa ? for help.

| Linwood D. Johnson       |  linwood@ihlpf.att.com                 |
| Disclaimer: Opinions expressed here are mine and mine only.       |
|             Besides, who else would want them?                    |