[comp.sys.ibm.pc.misc] Bug using MSDOS 3.2 Backup - 10th disk

edw@cbnewsc.att.com (Edwin.D.Windes@ATT.COM) (10/10/90)

I think I remember seeing this bug mentioned (a long time
ago) somewhere on the net.  I'm using AT&T MSDOS 3.2 R2.02
(and can't switch to a newer version.)

When I try to RESTORE from a set of BACKUP floppies, RESTORE
dies on the 10th disk.

It looks like BACKUP is writing "0:" in the disk ID instead
of "10", and restore is choking on it.

Has anyone else run into this problem?  Anyone have a patch?

thanks,
Ed Windes (e.windes@att.com)

prs@io.UUCP (Paul Schmidt) (10/12/90)

In article <1990Oct9.192042.14498@cbnewsc.att.com> edw@cbnewsc.att.com (Edwin.D.Windes@ATT.COM) writes:
> (stuff about problems with DOS BACKUP and RESTORE)
>
>Has anyone else run into this problem?  Anyone have a patch?

Many people have run into many problems with BACKUP and RESTORE.
The patch? Get a different archiver program.

noelroy@kean.ucs.mun.ca (Noel Roy, Economics Dept., Memorial University) (10/12/90)

In article <1990Oct9.192042.14498@cbnewsc.att.com>, edw@cbnewsc.att.com (Edwin.D.Windes@ATT.COM) writes:
> I think I remember seeing this bug mentioned (a long time
> ago) somewhere on the net.  I'm using AT&T MSDOS 3.2 R2.02
> (and can't switch to a newer version.)
>
> When I try to RESTORE from a set of BACKUP floppies, RESTORE
> dies on the 10th disk.
>
> It looks like BACKUP is writing "0:" in the disk ID instead
> of "10", and restore is choking on it.
>
> Has anyone else run into this problem?  Anyone have a patch?
>
> thanks,
> Ed Windes (e.windes@att.com)

I once had a problem where BACKUP would write 0D 0A instead of 0A for
the month of October.  Apparently the programmer forgot to type the
variable as binary.

I used a sector editor (Norton Utilities or PCTools) to rewrite the
BACKUPID file on the backup disks.  This worked fine.

--
Dr. Noel Roy  				bitnet:   NOELROY@MUN
Department of Economics			internet: noelroy@kean.ucs.mun.ca