[comp.sys.ibm.pc.misc] Sending files from Unix -> Ibm-Pc

jacosta@hawk.ulowell.edu (Javier Acosta) (10/06/90)

I'm having a compatiblity problem transferring files between a unixed based
c-kermit and procomm's version of kermit. I would like to know what most
people use for file transfers in the same situation. Since this is not
my account please reply to scook@hawk.ulowell.edu or post your reply
in this newsgroup. Thankyou.

				Steven Cook

P.S. If it matters, I have a zoom modem with procomm software and the Unix
     based kermit in question was release in Jan of 88.

ts@uwasa.fi (Timo Salmi) (10/08/90)

In article <1338@ul-cs.ulowell.edu> jacosta@hawk.ulowell.edu (Javier Acosta) writes:
>I'm having a compatiblity problem transferring files between a unixed based
>c-kermit and procomm's version of kermit. I would like to know what most
>people use for file transfers in the same situation. Since this is not

You are loosing c-kermit's potential of long packets by using
Procomm.  Your best bet would be using MsKermit at you PC end of
things.  If you don't have MsKermit, you can get it from our site by
anonymous ftp or mail server (ask for prerecorded instructions if
you don't know how use ftp or mail servers).  There is also much
information on Procomm, MsKermit, and file transfers in the
following files all in directory /pc/ts.
  tspfon29.arc
  tskerm24.arc
  tsans023.txt

Prof. Timo Salmi        (Moderating at anon. ftp site 128.214.12.3)

whitejon@acf5.NYU.EDU (jonathan white) (10/08/90)

In article <1338@ul-cs.ulowell.edu> jacosta@hawk.ulowell.edu (Javier Acosta) writes:
>I'm having a compatiblity problem transferring files between a unixed based
>c-kermit and procomm's version of kermit. I would like to know what most
>people use for file transfers in the same situation.

I have had this problem before and it turned out to be a parity
error. Try the command 'set parity even' at your host.

Jonathan

andy@mks.com (Andy Toy) (10/11/90)

Make sure you have the parity set properly.
One other important setting for kermit on UNIX is

	set file type binary
or
	set file type text

whichever is apropriate for the type of files you are transferring.
`set file type text' automatically does \n <--> \r\n conversion
between UNIX and DOS.
--
Andy Toy, Mortice Kern Systems Inc.,       Internet: andy@mks.com
  35 King Street North, Waterloo,       UUCP: uunet!watmath!mks!andy

fayne@tellabs.com (Jeffrey Fayne) (10/12/90)

In article <1990Oct10.222602.19848@mks.com> andy@mks.com (Andy Toy) writes:

>Make sure you have the parity set properly.
>One other important setting for kermit on UNIX is
>
>	set file type binary
>or
>	set file type text
>
>whichever is apropriate for the type of files you are transferring.
>`set file type text' automatically does \n <--> \r\n conversion
>between UNIX and DOS.
>--
 As long as were talking about it. Is this 'normal' for UNIX kermit? :

   I have 'set file type binary' in my .kermrc file.

   If I send a file via the command line:  kermit -s fname
   kermit sends it as a text file (even though .kermrc says
   otherwise).

   If I send a file while UNDER kermit: send fname
   Kermit sends as a binary (uses .kermrc setting).

   If I want to send a binary file via the command line, I must
   use the -i switch to force binaries.

   This drove me crazy for the longest time (.zip files kept
   reporting an illegal zip file when unzipped). Why doesn't kermit
   commands invoked via the command line use .kermrc?

				- Thanks
						Jeff

 F-14             |    _    |             | Jeffrey M. Fayne
   Tomcat         |  /^ ^\  |             | Tellabs, Inc.   Lisle, IL  60532
      ____________|_(  .  )_|____________ | 708-512-7726    FAX:708-852-7346
           --*/--|_| (___) |_|--\*--      | fayne@tellabs.com
              *       O O       *     fjs | #include<StdDisclaimer.h>