[comp.sys.ibm.pc.misc] MFM -- RLL drive

c60c-1gd@e260-3c.berkeley.edu (Joon Song) (09/26/90)

In article <2a81P1w162w@zooid.UUCP> dve@zooid.UUCP (David Mason) writes:
>I have a 70 mb 28ms full height Micropolis 1330 (I think, or 1335) hard
>disk. It currently has an MFM controller. I was told by a couple of
>individuals that it would be safe to RLL this drive (to about 110mb, I
>think), and a couple of other people told me this drive could NOT be safely
>RLL'd. I'd like to know the "real" answer. I called what support Micropolis
>had here in Canada (not much) and only recieved a very vague answer. So can
>someone give me an authoritative answer? The drive has no errors on it at
>all (I've checked it with a couple of programs) and is about 2 years old
>(possibly older, I bought it used). The drive is constantly full, and I
>could really use the extra 30 megs.

The "real" answer depends on who you talk to.  There are those who have had
problem with RLL drives in the past, and there are those who have not.
I am among those that have not had any problems with RLL drives.  I own
a Seagate 238R, a 30meg RLL drive which has been running perfectly for the
last 3 three years on a PC.  I also have a Seagate 4096 formatted with an RLL
controller.  The 4096 is an 80meg MFM drive.  With the RLL controller, it's
capacity is 122megs.  You also get higher throughput using an RLL controller.
A 1:1 MFM controller will provide about 470KB/sec compared to 660KB+/sec for
a 1:1 RLL controller.

john@karnak.uucp (John B. Meaders Jr.) (09/26/90)

I have been running my ST-251s for a couple of years with RLL.  No problems.
--
John B. Meaders, Jr.
510 Manchester Ct., Hopewell, VA  23806

phil@brahms.amd.com (Phil Ngai) (09/29/90)

In article <o4D5P1w162w@zooid.UUCP> dve@zooid.UUCP (David Mason) writes:
|From what I've been told, the main hazard of formatting an MFM drive RLL
|comes from long term usage - the drive would be more likely to expire since
|RLL uses "more" of the disk. So a short term test wouldn't help.

This is misinformation, untrue, etc etc.

--
Phil Ngai, phil@amd.com		{uunet,decwrl,ucbvax}!amdcad!phil
The Sierra Club is trying to stop CA-237 from being made into a freeway.

jrv@sdimax2.mitre.org (VanZandt) (10/12/90)

In article <1990Oct4.231018.16788@watserv1.waterloo.edu> ssingh@watserv1.waterloo.edu ($anjay [+] $ingh - Indy Studz) writes:
>In article <4431@bwdls58.UUCP> mlord@bwdls58.bnr.ca (Mark Lord) writes:
>>sectors under MFM, RLL, and ADRT/ARLL.  My new Seagate 251-1 worked only
>                             ^^^^^^^^^
>What is that???

ARLL stands for Advanced Run Length Limited.  ADRT is Advanced Data Recording
Technique, a term invented by Perstore for their form of ARLL.  ADRT yields 80%
more capacity than MFM (vs. 50% more for RLL).  I have heard it's supposed
to be more reliable as well.  I'd like to hear from users.

                             - Jim Van Zandt