[comp.sys.ibm.pc.misc] Software Postscript interpreters

clee@polyslo.CalPoly.EDU (Chang L. Lee) (10/11/90)

After failing to find a usable copy of Postscript Magic, a shareware
Postscript interpreter, I've decided to invest in one of the commercial
packages.  I'm looking for reviews and personal experiences of the
GoScript and GoScript+ products, but I'd appreciate other recommendations
also.

My current system consist of a 12Mhz AT clone with 1MB of RAM, and
the original Deskjet.  Microsoft Word 5.0A will be the primary
generator of Postscript files.  I understand that I probably don't
have enough memory to be able to Postscript print from within another
application, and that portions of the bitmap will be paged to disk
during the print operation.  A 15 to 20 minute wait per Postscript
page is acceptable.

Thank you,
clee@PolySlo.Calpoly.EDU
Chang(Robert) Lee

mra@srchtec.UUCP (Michael Almond) (10/12/90)

In article <27148cbc.5bed@petunia.CalPoly.EDU> clee@polyslo.CalPoly.EDU (Chang L. Lee) writes:
>After failing to find a usable copy of Postscript Magic, a shareware
>Postscript interpreter, I've decided to invest in one of the commercial
>packages.  I'm looking for reviews and personal experiences of the
>GoScript and GoScript+ products, but I'd appreciate other recommendations
>also.

	Have you considered GNU GhostScript?  You can ftp it from a number of
different sites and I'm pretty sure you can anonymously uucp it from uunet.

	The latest version is 2.0 and is avaiable for the IBM PC.

	If you want to know more, or need help aquiring GNU GhostScript, just
let me know.

---
Michael R. Almond                                  mra@srchtec.uucp (registered)
search technology, inc.				    emory.edu!stiatl!srchtec!mra
Atlanta, Georgia                                         (404) 441-1457 (office)