[comp.sys.ibm.pc.misc] BIOS upgrade

prime@druwa.ATT.COM (DavisAR) (10/05/90)

Netlanders,
I'm looking to upgrade my BIOS so that my computer can support EGA minitors.
I have a Columbia-MPC circa 1984. I also have 640K, Microsoft Mach-20
('286 upgrade), 80287 co-processor and CGA w/color monitor. Would the Phoenix
or Chips & Technologies BIOS chips work for my system? Approximately how much
money would it take to upgrade? Am I out-of-luck? All suggestions are welcomed.

Replies can be posted to the net or to me directly (whatever is best for
you). Thanks in advanced for your help/advice/information.

                ********
             *----*********
            *-------********
           *---------********
           *--------*********
           *-------*********
            *----**********
               *********

Anthony Davis
AT&T Bell Laboratories
Denver,  Colorado
(303) 538-2405
net:   att!druwa!prime

prime@druwa.ATT.COM (DavisAR) (10/09/90)

In regard to my last posting about needing to upgrade my BIOS to support
an EGA monitor, I meant to say VGA monitor. I purchased a VGA monitor with
an STB VGA card, but it would not work in my system. I took it back to the
dealer and he inserted the card and monitor in an available PC. It worked
fine. I suspect that my BIOS needs upgrading. What do you think?

                ********
             *----*********		Anthony Davis
            *-------********		AT&T Bell Laboratories
           *---------******** 		Denver, Co.
           *--------********* 		(303) 538 - 2405
            *----**********		net:   att!druwa!prime
               *********

<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<< THE PLANET >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

dmorin@wpi.WPI.EDU (Duane D Morin) (10/10/90)

In article <4873@druwa.ATT.COM> prime@druwa.ATT.COM (DavisAR) writes:
>In regard to my last posting about needing to upgrade my BIOS to support
>an EGA monitor, I meant to say VGA monitor. I purchased a VGA monitor with
>an STB VGA card, but it would not work in my system. I took it back to the
>dealer and he inserted the card and monitor in an available PC. It worked
>fine. I suspect that my BIOS needs upgrading. What do you think?

I think you're right.  I've seen it happen.  On my computer.  I didnt see
your previous post, but if 'not working' means getting something on the
screen but its garbage, like half a screen of graphics or a screen that
blanks out instead of scrolling, then its BIOS.

Fair warning - I had a VERY old PC, like one of the original models, and was
trying to upgrade it to EGA from Hercules.  What I discovered was that not
only wouldn't the BIOS support EGA, IBM had gone and changed the bloody
pinout on the BIOS in future revisions!  The new chips I got actually had
more pins on them than I had space for in the sockets!  I ended up trashing
the computer as worthless, but I found out later that I probably could have
run the new BIOS through an eprom programmer and put it onto my own chips.
But, it wasnt worth the struggle.  Something you might consider, though, if
you find the same problem.

>                ********
>             *----*********		Anthony Davis
>            *-------********		AT&T Bell Laboratories
>           *---------******** 		Denver, Co.
>           *--------********* 		(303) 538 - 2405
>            *----**********		net:   att!druwa!prime
>               *********
>
><<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<< THE PLANET >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Duane Morin   WPI Worcester, MA 01609
	      Software Etc.

prs@io.UUCP (Paul Schmidt) (10/12/90)

In article <4873@druwa.ATT.COM> prime@druwa.ATT.COM (DavisAR) writes:
>In regard to my last posting about needing to upgrade my BIOS to support
>an EGA monitor, I meant to say VGA monitor. I purchased a VGA monitor with
>an STB VGA card, but it would not work in my system. I took it back to the
>dealer and he inserted the card and monitor in an available PC. It worked
>fine. I suspect that my BIOS needs upgrading. What do you think?

Unless you have a very, very old BIOS (e.g. an XT clone) or a very
incompatible BIOS, that's not the trouble.