[comp.sys.ibm.pc.misc] WordPerfect 5.1 Question

ccefhh@rivm05.rivm.nl (Frits v.den Heuvel) (10/10/90)

We have a pc wich is connected to an automatic dataswitch.
The pc now has 2 possibilities to print out files, postscript and
hplaserjet. The data switch needs a prefix to switch to either
postscript- or laserjet printer. The prefix in my case is @SETUP5 or
@SETUP6. Is there a clue for WP5.1 end users, to make their work a lot
easier? I've read TFM on it, but there are still lots of actions you
have to run through. Does anybody who's familiar with macro's have a
good hint for it???      Thanks in advance....... Frits........
|                                                                              |
|       /====  /    /  Frits van den Heuvel.                                   |
|      /      /    /   Rijks Instituut voor Volksgezondheid en Milieuhygiene   |
|     /===   /====/    P.O. box 1    3720 BA   Bilthoven.                      |
|    /      /    /     The Netherlands.     Email --> ccefhh@rivm.nl           |
|   /      /    /                                                              |
|                                                                              |

teexnma@ioe.lon.ac.uk (Nino Margetic) (10/12/90)

In article <1990Oct10.101610.25771@rivm.nl> ccefhh@rivm05.rivm.nl (Frits v.den Heuvel) writes:
>We have a pc wich is connected to an automatic dataswitch.
>The pc now has 2 possibilities to print out files, postscript and
>hplaserjet. The data switch needs a prefix to switch to either
>postscript- or laserjet printer. The prefix in my case is @SETUP5 or
>@SETUP6. Is there a clue for WP5.1 end users, to make their work a lot
>easier? I've read TFM on it, but there are still lots of actions you
>have to run through. Does anybody who's familiar with macro's have a
>good hint for it???      Thanks in advance....... Frits........

As I understand it, you have to modify the *.ptr programs, ie the
printer drivers. This can be done by using the PTR.EXE programs
supplied with the WP5.1. You will have to add your string (@SETUP5 or
@SETUP6) into the "Initialization String" section for each of the
respective printer drivers. Once you modify the drivers, the only
thing you have to do is to re-select the appropriate driver before
using it.
Hope this helps.

--Nino
--
Janet: n.margetic@uk.ac.lon.ioe                    \   Nino Margetic
Earn/Bitnet: n.margetic%ioe.lon.ac.uk@ukacrl.bitnet \  University College

cgordon@vpnet.chi.il.us (Gordon Hlavenka) (10/13/90)

>We have a pc wich is connected to an automatic dataswitch.
>The pc now has 2 possibilities to print out files, postscript and
>hplaserjet. The data switch needs a prefix to switch to either
>postscript- or laserjet printer. The prefix in my case is @SETUP5 or
>@SETUP6. Is there a clue for WP5.1 end users, to make their work a lot
>easier? I've read TFM on it, but there are still lots of actions you
>have to run through. Does anybody who's familiar with macro's have a
>good hint for it???      Thanks in advance....... Frits........

A macro is not what you're after here, if I read your post properly.

You want postscript files to have the string "@SETUP5" prepended, and
laserjet files "@SETUP6", right?

The way to do this is to use the PRINTER.EXE program that came with WP.
This will allow you to alter the printer driver for your printers.  One of
the many things you can do is provide a setup string.  So, make the setup
(or maybe they call it "initialization") string start with "@SETUPn", and
voila!  Whenever WP uses that printer, it will send the proper string.

You can make this change to the printer files for postscript and hplaserjet
on any machines connected to the switch.  When WP51 prints, it reads the
_name_ of the printer file from the document file being printed.  But the
printer file itself is read from the machine running the print job.  So if
you use this method, a file could be produced on _any_ machine using a
printer driver with the same name as yours, and when you print it on your
machine it will flip the switch as appropriate.  (Because _your_ driver
tells it to)  Also your files will be portable to other machines, since the
other machines don't worry about the switch.

PS- I'm assuming (!) that this switch strips out the "@SETUPn" string...  If
it doesn't, the printer's going to be confused.

PPS- WPCorp sells a manual for the PRINTER program.  I think it's a ripoff,
so I've hacked my way through several ALL and PTR files.  If you feel like
popping the $$$, the manual is about $30US.

PPPS- WordPerfect Corp: 1 (801) 225-5000    (U-pay number)
                        1 (800) 541-5160    (Direct line to printer support)

Gordon S. Hlavenka            cgordon@vpnet.chi.il.us
Disclaimer:                Yeah, I said it.  So what?