[comp.sys.ibm.pc.misc] XGA video standard

werner@aecom.yu.edu (Craig Werner) (09/21/90)

	Does anyone at this early date have any information on IBM's
new XGA standard.
	I know that it has a top resolution of 1024x768 noninterlaced
at 70MHz (isn't this lower than VESA and the European standards by
a handful of megahertz) but I'd like to know its standard and maximum
RAM configuration, how many colors it supports on-screen at 1024
resolution, and whether it supports the so-called super-VGA standard of
800x600 (which somehow I'm not hopeful of, but I assume clone boards,
when they appear, will throw this in anyway).
--
	        Craig Werner   (future MD/PhD, 5.5 years down, 2.5 to go)
	     werner@aecom.YU.EDU -- Albert Einstein College of Medicine

phil@brahms.amd.com (Phil Ngai) (09/22/90)

In article <3015@aecom.yu.edu> werner@aecom.yu.edu (Craig Werner) writes:
|	I know that it has a top resolution of 1024x768 noninterlaced
|at 70MHz (isn't this lower than VESA and the European standards by
|a handful of megahertz) but I'd like to know its standard and maximum

I think you mean 70 hz. The Europeans are looking for 72 hz, I think.

|RAM configuration, how many colors it supports on-screen at 1024

According to PC Week, 32,000 colors. They also said it's 16-bit
color. I don't really understand this.

--
Phil Ngai, phil@amd.com		{uunet,decwrl,ucbvax}!amdcad!phil
Freedom is dead, long live privacy!

bmarsh@cod.NOSC.MIL (William C. Marsh) (09/25/90)

In article <1990Sep22.023059.13976@amd.com> phil@brahms.amd.com (Phil Ngai) writes:
>|RAM configuration, how many colors it supports on-screen at 1024
>
>According to PC Week, 32,000 colors. They also said it's 16-bit
>color. I don't really understand this.

I don't know about the XGA directly, the Targa-16 uses a 16 bit pixel, with
5 bits for red, green, and blue (and one extra bit, Targa uses for overlay).
(15 bits = 32768 colors, but then you probably already knew that! ;-)  I'm
sure they are doing something similar.

Bill
--
Bill Marsh, Naval Ocean Systems Center, San Diego, CA
{arpa,mil}net: bmarsh@cod.nosc.mil

mra@srchtec.UUCP (Michael Almond) (09/25/90)

In article <2270@cod.NOSC.MIL> bmarsh@cod.nosc.mil.UUCP (William C. Marsh) writes:
>In article <1990Sep22.023059.13976@amd.com> phil@brahms.amd.com (Phil Ngai) writes:
>>|RAM configuration, how many colors it supports on-screen at 1024
>>
>>According to PC Week, 32,000 colors. They also said it's 16-bit
>>color. I don't really understand this.
>
>I don't know about the XGA directly, the Targa-16 uses a 16 bit pixel, with
>5 bits for red, green, and blue (and one extra bit, Targa uses for overlay).
>(15 bits = 32768 colors, but then you probably already knew that! ;-)  I'm
>sure they are doing something similar.

	I also saw the article in PC Week.  Does anyone know if/when any
manufactures will have boards/monitors available?  (I'm in the process of
putting a PC together and was going to by a NEC 4D).

---
Michael R. Almond                                 mra@srchtec.uucp (registered)
search technology, inc.                           gatech.edu!stiatl!srchtec!mra
Atlanta, Georgia                                  (404) 441-1457 (office)

pnl@hpfinote.HP.COM (Peter Lim) (09/26/90)

> According to PC Week, 32,000 colors. They also said it's 16-bit
> color. I don't really understand this.

I guess 32,000 is rounding off of 32,768 which is 15-bit. What is
the other bit for ??

Regards,                       ## Life is fast enough as it is ........
Peter Lim.                     ## .... DON'T PUSH IT !!          >>>-------,
                               ########################################### :
E-mail:  plim@hpsgwg.HP.COM     Snail-mail:  Hewlett Packard Singapore,    :
Tel:     (065)-279-2289                      (ICDS, ICS)                   |
Telnet:        520-2289                      1150 Depot Road,           __\@/__
  ... also at: pnl@hpfipnl.HP.COM            Singapore   0410.           SPLAT !

#include <standard_disclaimer.hpp>

dhesi%cirrusl@oliveb.ATC.olivetti.com (Rahul Dhesi) (09/28/90)

In <1990Sep22.023059.13976@amd.com> phil@brahms.amd.com (Phil Ngai) writes:

>According to PC Week, 32,000 colors.

Ah, the old controversy erupts again.  The human eye recognizes only
a few basic colors (some say these are cyan, magenta, and green).
32,000 different hues, maybe, but not 32,000 colors.  Maybe 5, if
you include white and black.
--
Rahul Dhesi <dhesi%cirrusl@oliveb.ATC.olivetti.com>
UUCP:  oliveb!cirrusl!dhesi

In article <35010020@hpfinote.HP.COM> pnl@hpfinote.HP.COM (Peter Lim) writes:

| I guess 32,000 is rounding off of 32,768 which is 15-bit. What is
| the other bit for ??

  Sounds like 5 bits each for the RGB gun intensities, like the pallette
of the VGA has 6 bits for each color, but you can only have 256 total on
the VGA.

  Note that if my surmise is correct the max number of grey levels will
only be 32, as opposed to 64 for the VGA.
    sysop *IX BBS and Public Access UNIX

mra@srchtec.UUCP (Michael Almond) (10/01/90)

In article <35010020@hpfinote.HP.COM> pnl@hpfinote.HP.COM (Peter Lim) writes:

>> According to PC Week, 32,000 colors. They also said it's 16-bit
>> color. I don't really understand this.
>>
>I guess 32,000 is rounding off of 32,768 which is 15-bit. What is
>the other bit for ??

	In the article it mentions that the cards will be capable of 24-bit
color, with enough memory on board.  I don't know about the extra bit, parity
checking or something.

	I know IBM is suppose to show this board at Fall Comdex (November?),
but has anyone heard of other companies saying they will be offering boards?
And most important, would a NEC 3D/4D work with the new boards?

---
Michael R. Almond                                 mra@srchtec.uucp (registered)
search technology, inc.                           emory.edu!stiatl!srchtec!mra
Atlanta, Georgia                                  (404) 441-1457 (office)

kevinc@cs.athabascau.ca (Kevin Crocker) (10/06/90)

In article <2519@cirrusl.UUCP> dhesi%cirrusl@oliveb.ATC.olivetti.com (Rahul Dhesi) writes:
>Ah, the old controversy erupts again.  The human eye recognizes only
>a few basic colors (some say these are cyan, magenta, and green).
>32,000 different hues, maybe, but not 32,000 colors.  Maybe 5, if
>you include white and black.

And I thought it was just my eyes that were bad! :-))))))

BTW, Rahul, are you still working on ZOO?

Mail to you seems to bounce.  This is about the only mail that bounces
these days but it does get annoying.

Kevin

P.S. I have to add this because our systems seems to have been upgraded
and I can no longer send shorter replies than copied text.

--
Kevin "auric" Crocker Athabasca University
UUCP: ...!{alberta,ncc}!atha!kevinc

In article <245@srchtec.UUCP> mra@srchtec.UUCP (Michael Almond) writes:
>>> According to PC Week, 32,000 colors. They also said it's 16-bit
>>> color. I don't really understand this.

O.K. I guess I really don't understand what it is that we're talking
about either.  Are we saying that the monitor will be capable of
displaying ~32,000 hues simultaneously or that there will be the
capability of displaying 256 hues out of a pallette of ~32,000?  This
makes no sense as we already have 256 out of a pallette of 256K?

If we are talking about ~32000 hues on screen then is there any
evidence to show that the human eye can discern this level of sublety?

Kevin
--

cramer@optilink.UUCP (Clayton Cramer) (10/09/90)

In article <339@aupair.cs.athabascau.ca>, kevinc@cs.athabascau.ca (Kevin Crocker) writes:

> If we are talking about ~32000 hues on screen then is there any
> evidence to show that the human eye can discern this level of sublety?
>
> Kevin "auric" Crocker Athabasca University

I read somewhere, many years ago, where I can doubtless not find
it, that the human eye is capable of distinguishing about 10 million
shades of color.  (Presumably measured by taking two light sources
of known frequency some number of Angstroms apart, and seeing how
many people can distinguish them).

This means that when you get to 24 bits of color information, there
is no point in going any further.

--
Clayton E. Cramer {pyramid,pixar,tekbspa}!optilink!cramer
If "right of the people" in the Second Amendment doesn't refer to an

pnl@hpfinote.HP.COM (Peter Lim) (10/11/90)

Okay, Here's my 2 cents' worth ....

> I read somewhere, many years ago, where I can doubtless not find
> it, that the human eye is capable of distinguishing about 10 million
> shades of color.  (Presumably measured by taking two light sources
> of known frequency some number of Angstroms apart, and seeing how
> many people can distinguish them).

Another school of thinking says that human eye can differentiate
thousands of colors but cannot appreciate it very well. Confused ?
Basically, its like if you show a human a 1024 color screen and
then show him a 24-bit (16 million) color screen; he will not be able
to tell the difference. BUT, if you put the two screens side by side,
he can tell the difference !

> This means that when you get to 24 bits of color information, there
> is no point in going any further.

I pretty much believe that 256 colors is just about enough. Of course
the more the merrier, may be 1024 ??

But I really believe that we need at least 16 bit (or 65536 colors)
colors to really do nice display. Why ? Well, these days, we really
want multiple Windows on screen each having their own 1024 palette or
so. So, I think PC's 256 color standard is deficient. Mac's 24 bit colors
is overkill but I don't mind if the display card is not too bloody
expensive.

tow@arisia.Xerox.COM (Rob Tow) (10/13/90)

In article <4591@optilink.UUCP> cramer@optilink.UUCP (Clayton Cramer) writes:

>> If we are talking about ~32000 hues on screen then is there any
>> evidence to show that the human eye can discern this level of sublety?
>>
>> Kevin "auric" Crocker Athabasca University
>
>I read somewhere, many years ago, where I can doubtless not find
>it, that the human eye is capable of distinguishing about 10 million
>shades of color.  (Presumably measured by taking two light sources
>of known frequency some number of Angstroms apart, and seeing how
>many people can distinguish them).
>
>This means that when you get to 24 bits of color information, there
>is no point in going any further.
>
>--
>Clayton E. Cramer {pyramid,pixar,tekbspa}!optilink!cramer
>If "right of the people" in the Second Amendment doesn't refer to an
>individual right, what does it refer to in the First & Fourth Amendments?
>You must be kidding!  No company would hold opinions like mine!

Actually, this is not true.

We're talking my field here; I design color scanners, color correction
systems, and work on the monitor to print problem, for Xerox.

24 bits is insufficient for more than one reason.

The first thing to consider is that the dynamic range of the eye is not
a simple function, and is not the same for each of the three (actually,
four; did you know that under the right circumstances people can be
tetrachromats? This is called *rod intrusion*) input channels (which
may be equated with red, green, and blue sensation).

Under good conditions, with a calibrated monitor, you can see banding
in an 8 bit gray ramp.

Also, the range of intensity that is expressed in that ramp does not cover
the full range of intensity the eye can percieve; i.e., there are
"whiter whites" that you can respond to.

The situation gets even more fun with the addition of colors, as
opposed to grays.

Another fun complication is that the primaries used in video, print, etc.,
do not cover the full *gamut* of color vision. If you plot the gamut
given by, say, the SMPTE phosphours on a CIE color chart you will get a
triangle inside the full range of human vision. There are colors you can
see perfectly well that no monitor can display. This gives rise to a whole
host of interesting tradeoffs - do you clip colors to the hull of the gamut,
or somehow map one gamut to another? We do *both* here, depending on the
image and the device - for example, last year's SIGGRAPH proceedings
cover had a gamut mapping applied to it from the video image to map it
into the printer's gamut.

Consider also that when you do this that you are squashing levels and
will lose discernable differences. An important consideration from
an artists view is perserving discernable differences even if there
are hue shifts!

...these days I get somewhat exercised by the widespread use of the
phrase "True Color" in reference to 24 bit displays; they are anything
*but* true color. The sad truth is that very few people have much
sophistication for color; it's rather like typography before 1984.

---

Rob Tow
Member Research Staff
Electronic Document Lab