[comp.sys.ibm.pc.misc] Purchase of an IBM.

arthurh@jacobs.CS.ORST.EDU (Hank MacArthur) (10/14/90)

Hi Everyone,

I have read two article hear from two individuals that
are thinking about buying and have bought a system from
mail order.  Can anyone with knowledge, tell me the
good points of purchasing from them?  I see that the
prices are cheaper but I don't really feel that I could
trust them. At the same time, how about the service?
If one part would break down, how could I get it fix
without having to send it through mail which takes too
long?

All response are appreciated.

Later,
Hank

RFM@psuvm.psu.edu (10/14/90)

Lots of mail order houses are reputable. Plus, many now offer/provide
support/warranty via established service outfits -- TRW, GE, etc. Places that
come to mind that I wouldn't hesitate to deal with include Swan, Dell,
Northgate, Compuadd... to mention a few.

smsmith@hpuxa.ircc.ohio-state.edu (Stephen M. Smith) (10/14/90)

In article <20968@orstcs.CS.ORST.EDU> arthurh@jacobs.CS.ORST.EDU (Hank MacArthur) writes:
>I have read two article hear from two individuals that
>are thinking about buying and have bought a system from
>mail order.  Can anyone with knowledge, tell me the
>good points of purchasing from them?

Since I am one of these anonymous "two individuals" mentioned
above I hope I am not out of line by making my 2 cents worth
inflate to 4 cents by posting this additional article.  But
today at the computer store (where I spend more on magazines
than anything else these days) I came across a brand new
magazine for direct buyers entitled "PC Sources."  This
premiere issure (October 1990) promises to be one of the best
source for tips on mail order purchasing.  This first issue
covers much of what you seem to be asking in your posting.
For example, the table of contents includes the following
headings and subheadings:

  Buying Smart; buying PC products by phone is easy when you
                know what to look for.

  Cracking The Code: How To Read A PC Mail-Order Ad; advertise-
                ments for PC systems could daunt the most
                dedicated linguist.  The acronyms, the arcane
                terms, the jargon...

  Shopping For A Warranty; ...Russ Lockwood tells you the
                differences among warranties and what
                considerations are most important.

  Marketplace: With Or Without Software?; software that comes
                bundled with a system can be a great deal--
                if you know what you're getting.

Plus in the first 50 pages or so are around 9 short articles/
columns designed to help the direct buyer.  To suscribe write
or call P.O. Box 53298, Boulder, CO 80321-3298   (800)827-2078.
(I have no affiliation with this magazine whatsoever.)

Also, in the Computer Shopper every month there is a page or
two which gives good guidelines on the proper procedure to
follow when mail ordering.

I have found that the best way to find out about mail ordering
(without laying down too much $$$) is to read as many computer
magazines as you can in light of a particular system or component
in mind.  Then call a few companies and ask them to send you
information additional to what is in their add.  They are (usually)
very helpful and it can take away some of that apprehension
we all feel when dealing with them (at least it helped me some-
what).

Hope the above helps!

S. Smith <smsmith@hpuxa.ircc.ohio-state.edu>