[comp.sys.ibm.pc.misc] WORD PERFECT 5.1 EXPANDED memory

JCS120@psuvm.psu.edu (10/14/90)

I know that WP 5.1 can run out of expanded memory, but how much?

I've experimented with it, and I think it takes over 700K, but i dont want to t
ake any more time.

Also, I like using a print spooling program in extended, which is currently 384
K in size. I've been told this is too big. Is 64K a good size?

Thanks in advance.   JCS120

amichiel@rodan.acs.syr.edu (Allen J Michielsen) (10/15/90)

In article <90286.131052JCS120@psuvm.psu.edu> JCS120@psuvm.psu.edu writes:
>Also, I like using a print spooling program in extended, which is currently
>384K in size. I've been told this is too big. Is 64K a good size?

If the system doesn't crash, the spooler can't ever be too big  8-)
Seriously, your optimin spooler size depends on what you do, what
printer you're using, how large your 'typical' document is....
If you are using something like a hplaserjet, or a apple laser, or
one of the typical ibm dot printers, and are printing 1 or 2 page documents,
the probably something closer to 64 to 128K would probably be a more
effecient spooler size.  If you are using some exotic printer, or
larger documents, then maybe 384k is closer to optimim.
Take your 'typical document' and try different buffer sizes, try it,
then find the size which causes the system response time to increase.
This would be about your min optimim size.  Then if you increase the
size, till you can measure a performance change doing something like
a search and replace, that would give you your max size for this typical
document.  Look at your range of document sizes, adjust to taste and go home,
cause it's dinner time now.... 8-)
al

--
Al. Michielsen, Mechanical & Aerospace Engineering, Syracuse University
 InterNet: amichiel@rodan.acs.syr.edu  amichiel@sunrise.acs.syr.edu