[comp.sys.ibm.pc.misc] New Magellan Slower than Original?

singer@uwovax.uwo.ca (10/16/90)

Magellan is a very impressive hard disk tool, especially if you have umpteen
text files; but I wonder if anybody else bought the the well-reviewed new
model, 2.0 (described as much faster than the original, 1.0) and found that the
update is much much slower than the original. I have compared, everything else
being constant, the old with the new and found the old was twice as fast in
seeking (exploring) for items. Has anybody else had this experience, or even
the opposite experience? --
-----------
Ben Singer                                      Department of Sociology
                                                University of Western Ontario
Singer@uwo.ca                                   London, Ontario
Singer@uwovax.bitnet                            N6A 5C2
                                                (519) 660-0671  (home)
                                                (519) 679-2111   Ext 5137

kevinc@cs.athabascau.ca (Kevin Crocker) (10/17/90)

In article <7426.271a2111@uwovax.uwo.ca> singer@uwovax.uwo.ca writes:
>Magellan is a very impressive hard disk tool, especially if you have umpteen
>text files; but I wonder if anybody else bought the the well-reviewed new
>model, 2.0 (described as much faster than the original, 1.0) and found that the
>update is much much slower than the original. I have compared, everything else
>being constant, the old with the new and found the old was twice as fast in
>seeking (exploring) for items. Has anybody else had this experience, or even
>the opposite experience? --

Ben, I have had Magellan 2.0 for at least 4 months now and I can't say
that it is slower at all.  I have indexed a 210Mb hard disk plus my
network drives (about another 45Mb) and searches still come in under
10-15 seconds.  Magellan 2 is much better in a whole bunch of ways..

Right now I'm running an ethernet connection on a wd8003 card into our
unix machine to read news IN A DOS WINDOW in windows 3.0 and in the
lower right hand corner I have another DOS WINDOW with magellan loaded
and thusI can keep track of both my UNIX mail and run things from dos
just great.

Magellan has to be the best productivity tool that I have bought in the
last three years.

Kevin
--
Kevin "auric" Crocker Athabasca University
UUCP: ...!{alberta,ncc}!atha!kevinc