[comp.sys.ibm.pc.misc] Archives from wuarchive.wustl.edu?

dve@mace.cc.purdue.edu (10/13/90)

I found the ftp site
	wuarchive.wustl.edu
has quite a few good software. But unfortunately I cann't un-archive
the *.arc files. The pkxarc command I have gives a lot of warnings about
failed CRC checkings and the resulting programs do not run and the docs
are unreadable.

Does anybody know what un-archiver is used for these archives? And how
to get it?

Thanks in advance.
Joe
dve@mace.cc.purdue.edu

6500spyk@ucsbuxa.ucsb.edu (Chris Brooks) (10/14/90)

In article <5768@mace.cc.purdue.edu> dve@mace.cc.purdue.edu writes:

>I found the ftp site
>	wuarchive.wustl.edu
>has quite a few good software. But unfortunately I cann't un-archive
>the *.arc files. The pkxarc command I have gives a lot of warnings about
>failed CRC checkings and the resulting programs do not run and the docs
>are unreadable.
>
>Does anybody know what un-archiver is used for these archives? And how
>to get it?

I don't know specifically, but I do that the archive site is Washington
University in St. Louis, Missouri, my alma matter.  For a start, send
mail to greg@dworkin.wustl.edu who is a graduate student in CS and he
can probably at least route you to someone who knows.

Good luck!

--
Christopher L. Brooks                               6500spyk@ucsbuxa.bitnet
UC - Santa Barbara                                  brooks@faulty.ucsb.edu

ho@hoss.unl.edu (Tiny Bubbles...) (10/15/90)

In <5768@mace.cc.purdue.edu> dve@mace.cc.purdue.edu writes:
>I found the ftp site
>	wuarchive.wustl.edu
>has quite a few good software. But unfortunately I cann't un-archive
>the *.arc files. The pkxarc command I have gives a lot of warnings about
>failed CRC checkings and the resulting programs do not run and the docs
>are unreadable.

I've used the archive many times and never had a problem.  I see two
possibilities:

o  You're forgetting to request 'binary' mode from ftp when grabbing the
   files;
o  The file transfer protocol you're using to get from the mainframe to
   your PC is munged.

If you're always saying 'binary' to ftp before 'get'ting the files, it's
probably the latter.

--
        ... Michael Ho, University of Nebraska
Internet: ho@hoss.unl.edu | "Mine... is the last voice that you will ever hear."

rusbara2@sage.cc.purdue.edu (Bob Rusbasan) (10/15/90)

In article <1990Oct15.033243.12796@hoss.unl.edu> ho@hoss.unl.edu (Tiny Bubbles...) writes:
>In <5768@mace.cc.purdue.edu> dve@mace.cc.purdue.edu writes:
>>I found the ftp site
>>	wuarchive.wustl.edu
>>has quite a few good software. But unfortunately I cann't un-archive
>>the *.arc files. The pkxarc command I have gives a lot of warnings about
>>failed CRC checkings and the resulting programs do not run and the docs
>>are unreadable.
>
>I've used the archive many times and never had a problem.  I see two
>possibilities:
>
>o  You're forgetting to request 'binary' mode from ftp when grabbing the
>   files;
>o  The file transfer protocol you're using to get from the mainframe to
>   your PC is munged.
>
>If you're always saying 'binary' to ftp before 'get'ting the files, it's
>probably the latter.

Well, I've found that 95% of the time that's not the problem...

Anyway, shouldn't it be set to 'tenex' instead of binary?  That's
how simtel works, and wuarchive is mirroring them.  That's how I've
always gotten my files, and it's always worked.  Unless it's set
up so it doesn't make any difference with wu.

If the original poster is using kermit, did you set the file type to
binary on KERMIT?  It's on text by default with most of them at least,
so if you "don't know" whether you did odds are you transfered the files
in text mode.  That will give the errors you described.

You don't have to set PC-Kermit, just the one on your mainframe.

---
Bob Rusbasan
bob@en.ecn.purdue.edu

david@gisatl.FIDONET.ORG (David Deitch) (10/17/90)

something that supports the old ARC 5.12 standard, since that is the
latest Unix version that I know of.  Beyond that, send mail to
wuarchive and ask the sysop there.  Glad to here my old school is
doing something right for a change!

     David Deitch (GIS)
          deitch@gisatl.fidonet.org
               1:133/411@fidonet

David Deitch - via FidoNet node 1:133/411
UUCP: galbp!gisatl!david
INTERNET: david@gisatl.FIDONET.ORG