[net.ham-radio] "PL"

lagasse@biomed.UUCP (Robert C. Lagasse) (07/03/85)

   Just tried out a shiny new ambulance with all of its electronic goodies
(work part time as an EMT in my town) . Anyway, it has a new Motorola radio
with the standard PL on/off slide switch on the microphone holder. Here
comes the question: When the PL switch is off, the receiver audio is muted
by the normal squelch circuit which allows you to hear receiver hiss for
about half a second after the repeater shuts down, then all is quiet.  When
PL is on, receiver audio is heard, but right after they finish speaking, the
reciever is muted and no squelch tail is heard.  Are they or are they NOT
shutting off the transmitted PL tone BEFORE thaey allow the repeater
transmitter to shut down?  This is what it sounds like.

Next question:  Why does store bought 2m ham gear usually try to sell itself
with a PL tone encoder ONLY?  It seems that all of the commercial radios
like in the previous question (even the walkie-talkies) have BOTH an encoder
and a decoder.  Is it because PL tones are really used in ham radio as an
electronic "key" or access device to allow only those lucky few to access a
closed repeater?  I can see two reasons to use PL tones in commercial gear:
1) It allows several local services to use the same frequency without being
disturbed by one another's received audio.
2) On low-band systems (usually repeaterless) it eliminates received "skip"
from everyone's radio listening.
  I suppose PL encoding and decoding could be used on 2m within a group of
people so they would not have to listen to all of the repeater gossip if
they were expecting a call from a certain ham operator.

While I am on the subject of private encoding/decoding:
   Is it legal to use this scheme on amateur radio?  What if I have a tone
decoder circuit in my mobile set that will only open up the receiver audio
if it receives two or three DTMF pairs in the proper sequence?  A typical
scenario would go like this:  Another ham tries to contact me by on or off
off a repeater by saying my call, "this is", then his call, then using her
or his DTMF pad transmits a sequence of tones.  Do you think this would piss
off people listening to the repeater, thinking that I am trying to access
some repeater function (such as autopatch) when I don't EVEN BELONG to their
repeater group or club?

Last question:  on commercial FM gear, is the PL tone transmitted by a
mobile set filtered out before the signal is retransmitted by the repeater???

...............I'm just full of questions today.

N 1 A L G   Bobby L @ MGH

ron@brl-tgr.ARPA (Ron Natalie <ron>) (07/05/85)

> Next question:  Why does store bought 2m ham gear usually try to sell itself
> with a PL tone encoder ONLY?  It seems that all of the commercial radios
> like in the previous question (even the walkie-talkies) have BOTH an encoder
> and a decoder.

While their are some repeaters around here that have PL to keep out the
"riff-raff," the only repeater that I generally use installed PL to stop
interfering signals from unintentionally bringing up the repeater.  This
can either be due to another repeater on the same frequency, or as in this
case, a cab company with a bunch of poorly maintained AEROTRON commecial
radios.  We allowed the repeater to be brought up using any one of the
following three methods:
	1.  PL.
	2.  Any Touch Tone
	3.  Three kerchunks within one second followed by the carrier
		staying on.

-Ron

hoffman@pitt.UUCP (Bob Hoffman) (07/06/85)

In article <86@biomed.UUCP> lagasse@biomed.UUCP (Robert C. Lagasse) writes:

>... When
>PL is on, receiver audio is heard, but right after they finish speaking, the
>reciever is muted and no squelch tail is heard.  Are they or are they NOT
>shutting off the transmitted PL tone BEFORE thaey allow the repeater
>transmitter to shut down?  This is what it sounds like.

This is often done with what's called "tone reversal".  When the Push-to-Talk
line on the transceiver is released, the tone encoder holds it on for about
another 100 ms.  During this time, the PL tone is sent out, 180 degrees out of
phase.  This serves to turn off a PL decoder as quickly as possible.  In the
days of reed-based decoders, it damped the vibrations of the reed.  The 100 ms
time was just long enough to shut down the decoder without it locking onto
the 180-degree signal.   RCA TACTEC (TAC100) radios do this, for example.

>While I am on the subject of private encoding/decoding:
>   Is it legal to use this scheme on amateur radio?  What if I have a tone
>decoder circuit in my mobile set that will only open up the receiver audio
>if it receives two or three DTMF pairs in the proper sequence?  A typical
>scenario would go like this:  Another ham tries to contact me by on or off
>off a repeater by saying my call, "this is", then his call, then using her
>or his DTMF pad transmits a sequence of tones.  Do you think this would p*ss
>off people listening to the repeater, thinking that I am trying to access
>some repeater function (such as autopatch) when I don't EVEN BELONG to their
>repeater group or club?

I always thought having a decoder on my rig would be a good idea.  I don't
think it would be illegal -- you're not broadcasting, you're signaling a
specific individual.  And no matter what you do, you're bound to make someone
mad at you!  :-)

>Last question:  on commercial FM gear, is the PL tone transmitted by a
>mobile set filtered out before the signal is retransmitted by the repeater???

Yes.  In some rare cases, a *different* PL tone is used on the output than
on the input.  That, of course, requires complete filtering on the receiver.
--
Bob Hoffman, N3CVL       {allegra, bellcore, cadre, idis, psuvax1}!pitt!hoffman
Pitt Computer Science    hoffman%pitt@csnet-relay

mikey@trsvax (07/08/85)

PL is used not just for security or access to a "private" repeater and/or
functions, but also to prevent interference.  On 10M repeaters, each
area of the country has subtones that it is supposed to use for
repeater access.  This prevents skip from one area of the country from
activating all the repeaters in another part of the country.  It also
can be used to prevent interference where repeater coverage covers
more that one metro area, for example, New York to Boston.  There are
probably some sites that if PL was not used, keying up would probably
bring up many machines in the area.

As to decoding the PL on a receiver, Kenwood did something similar
except they use ASCII transmission of your call sign in the TR2600
handi-talkie.

As to the legality of PL, there really isn't a problem.  It's not
cryptic data and it conserves bandspace.

mikey at trsvax
KA5MJQ