[comp.sys.ibm.pc.misc] Is there a cheap, decent PCLisp Out There?

efowler@milton.u.washington.edu (Eric Fowler) (10/16/90)

The subject line says it all-I need a (preferably)CommonLisp that will run
on a PC. This is mostly for self-teaching of LISP at home, and need not be
exotic. It does need to be MUCH cheaper than the $1995.00 gouge that Gold Hill
is getting for their LISP. I realize this has probably come up before, but...
=Eric
.

boyer@iuvax.cs.indiana.edu (Charles David Boyer) (10/16/90)

efowler@milton.u.washington.edu (Eric Fowler) writes:

>The subject line says it all-I need a (preferably)CommonLisp that will run
>on a PC. This is mostly for self-teaching of LISP at home, and need not be
>exotic. It does need to be MUCH cheaper than the $1995.00 gouge that Gold Hill
>is getting for their LISP. I realize this has probably come up before, but...
>=Eric
>.

You might consider Scheme, a dialect of Lisp.  PC-Scheme from Texas
Instruments is a solid implementation running under DOS. I think Students
here at IU buy it for $30 or $40 with a manual but I think that is under
an educational site license. I am not sure who to call or write
but there is a customer response address in my manual:

	Texas Instruments Inc.
	Data Systems Group
	ATTN: PC Sustaining
	P.O. Box 2909 M/S 2234
	Austin, Texas 78769-9990

Dave Boyer
boyer@iuvax.cs.indiana.edu

lgm@cbnewsc.att.com (lawrence.g.mayka) (10/18/90)

In article <9281@milton.u.washington.edu>, efowler@milton.u.washington.edu (Eric Fowler) writes:
> The subject line says it all-I need a (preferably)CommonLisp that will run
> on a PC. This is mostly for self-teaching of LISP at home, and need not be
> exotic. It does need to be MUCH cheaper than the $1995.00 gouge that Gold Hill
> is getting for their LISP. I realize this has probably come up before, but...

The last I heard, Gold Hill is still selling their Golden Common Lisp
Student Edition for under $100.  GCL/SE includes as much of Common
Lisp as will fit in 640 Kbytes of RAM.  It includes an editor, an
on-line tutorial, and even a junior version of the Common Lisp Object
System (CLOS).

	Lawrence G. Mayka
	AT&T Bell Laboratories
	lgm@iexist.att.com