[net.music] Roxy Music w/o Eno

ckk@cmu-cs-g.ARPA (Chris Koenigsberg) (07/14/85)

Roxy Music was interesting on their first two albums, but when Eno left,
they went far downhill. Bryan Ferry lost it when he stopped being a weirdo
and tried to be a Frank Sinatra instead. I knew Eno was going to be big,
even back when he was the synthesist for Roxy Music.

It's funny how some groups can survive massive personnel changes and still
put out good music, while other groups lose it when one member leaves.
Genesis and Roxy Music are examples of groups which really sucked after
they lost a member. The Beatles, Pink floyd, King Crimson, and Yes continued
their brilliance, in some cases increasing it, after personnel changes.

Chris Koenigsberg
ckk@cmu-cs-g.ARPA
{harvard,seismo,topaz,ucbvax}!cmu-cs-g!ckk
(412)578-8526 office, (412)362-6422 home
Center for Design of Educational Computing
Carnegie-Mellon U.
Pgh, Pa. 15213

rlr@pyuxd.UUCP (Rich Rosen) (07/21/85)

> Roxy Music was interesting on their first two albums, but when Eno left,
> they went far downhill. Bryan Ferry lost it when he stopped being a weirdo
> and tried to be a Frank Sinatra instead. I knew Eno was going to be big,
> even back when he was the synthesist for Roxy Music.
> The Beatles, Pink floyd, King Crimson, and Yes continued
> their brilliance, in some cases increasing it, after personnel changes.
> Chris Koenigsberg

While I agree with the first half of this, about Roxy Music (they DID produce
some great music after Eno, like "Out of the Blue", "Love is the Drug"),
what personnel changes did the Beatles go through? The only one I can think
of is Ringo Starr replacing Pete Best in 1962 (?), and that was before any
major recorded output.
--
"Wait a minute.  '*WE*' decided???   *MY* best interests????"
					Rich Rosen    ihnp4!pyuxd!rlr

nessus@mit-eddie.UUCP (Doug Alan) (07/23/85)

> From: rlr@pyuxd.UUCP (Rich Rosen)

> what personnel changes did the Beatles go through? The only one I can
> think of is Ringo Starr replacing Pete Best in 1962 (?), and that was
> before any major recorded output.

Paul died (probably shortly before "Rubber Soul") and was replaced by an
impersonator with even more talent.  Clearly the impersonator died
sometime during the existence of "Wings" and was replaced by a new
impersonator who is a talentless clod.

				"Get back, get back, get back
				 To where you once belonged"

				 Doug Alan
				  nessus@mit-eddie.UUCP (or ARPA)

thielges@uiucdcsb.Uiuc.ARPA (07/24/85)

I agree, Roxy Music has been running fine, although a little damaged
after Eno left.

Try listening to their later albums and think of them as a satire of
pop music.  Notice that the newer Roxy albums don't contain any
'unfit for airplay' tunes like Bogus Man.  Perhaps its a good disguise
to get Top 40 bred folks to listen.

					Bart Thielges
					...ihnp4!uiucdcs!thielges