[comp.sys.ibm.pc.misc] printers

croft@mwk.uucp (KENN CROFT, EXT. 4483) (10/09/90)

In article <9761@ur-cc.UUCP>, gsgi_ltd@uhura.cc.rochester.edu (Gregory Gibson) writes:
> I need to purchase a printer with very good NLQ and with moderate speed.
> Any suggestions?  My budget is $300 +/- $50.
>
> I appreciate the time it takes to respond.
>
> Thank You,
>
> Greg Gibson

SOUNDS LIKE YOU MAY WANT TO CHECK OUT AN EPSON LQ-510.  I'VE HAD AN LQ-500
(WHICH I BELIEVE IS THE PREDECESSOR TO THE LQ-510) FOR 2 YEARS NOW AND LOVE IT.
I THINK THE PRICE WILL BE IN YOUR BALLPARK; NOT LIST, BUT IF YOU LOOK AROUND FOR
A GOOD DISCOUNT. HOPE THIS HELPS !

REGARDS
         KENN CROFT

mcole@gvlf8-k.gvl.unisys.com (Mark Cole) (10/10/90)

In article <4870@mwk.uucp> croft@mwk.uucp (KENN CROFT, EXT. 4483) writes:
>In article <9761@ur-cc.UUCP>, gsgi_ltd@uhura.cc.rochester.edu (Gregory Gibson) writes:
>> I need to purchase a printer with very good NLQ and with moderate speed.
>> Any suggestions?  My budget is $300 +/- $50.
>
>SOUNDS LIKE YOU MAY WANT TO CHECK OUT AN EPSON LQ-510.  I'VE HAD AN LQ-500
>A GOOD DISCOUNT. HOPE THIS HELPS !

I got my lq-510 in July - Its great. Cost $271. Right after I got mine,
they started offering the extra font cartridge and a 2 year warrenty
for free. I went back and asked if they would honor it for my purchase.
I was shocked when the manager approved it. The place - Soft Warehouse.
I don't know if the offer is still valid but its worth a look at.
BTW - the Epson LQ-510 price is $271 normally, the Panasonic 1124 is
normally $280. These were, in July, the best prices in the Philadelphia
area that I could find, and were as good if not better than mail order.

Hope this helps.

Mark Cole

STD Disclaimer: Just a VERY satisfied customer of Soft Warehouse.

ESR@SLACVM.BITNET (Ed Russell) (10/11/90)

>>In article <9761@ur-cc.UUCP>, gsgi_ltd@uhura.cc.rochester.edu (Gregory Gibson)
>writes:
>>> I need to purchase a printer with very good NLQ and with moderate speed.
>>> Any suggestions?  My budget is $300 +/- $50.
>>
>>SOUNDS LIKE YOU MAY WANT TO CHECK OUT AN EPSON LQ-510.  I'VE HAD AN LQ-500
>>A GOOD DISCOUNT. HOPE THIS HELPS !
>>
>I got my lq-510 in July - Its great. Cost $271. Right after I got mine,
>they started offering the extra font cartridge and a 2 year warrenty
>for free. I went back and asked if they would honor it for my purchase.
>I was shocked when the manager approved it. The place - Soft Warehouse.
>I don't know if the offer is still valid but its worth a look at.
>BTW - the Epson LQ-510 price is $271 normally, the Panasonic 1124 is
>normally $280. These were, in July, the best prices in the Philadelphia
>area that I could find, and were as good if not better than mail order.

You might also check out the new Fujitsu DL1100.  We were impressed with its
quality and the price is about the same as the Epson LQ-510.  Since it is
brand new, I can't comment about longevity.  However, it looks good and may
be worth considering especially if you need a small footprint.  Just ignore
the fact that it looks like a toaster.

jcburt@ipsun.larc.nasa.gov (John Burton) (10/18/90)

I've had *very* good luck with my Panasonic KX-P1124
printer...its a 24-pin narrow carriage printer that has
epson LQ-2500 (i think) and IBM Proprinter emulation...
(I think its the LQ-2500, but it *definitely* emulates
an Epson LQ series printer - don't have my manual with me)

I've never had any problems with it and it produces very good
quality print...you can get it mail order for between $275 and
$300...I think it has about the best bang for the buck available..

John Burton
(jcburt@cs.wm.edu)
(jcburt@ipsun.larc.nasa.gov)