[comp.sys.ibm.pc.misc] Programs/text related to African Studies.

robert@madnix.UUCP (Robert Moldenhauer) (10/13/90)

Hi,
Still looking for programs, text files, etc. related to African studies
(both Sub-Saharan and North Africa okw3){{{{{ow3v:{{kO{xDokok~r~r~r{{{
Call the UW African Studies BBS @ (608) 262-9689.

--
Robert Moldenhauer                              One People
U.S. Snail: 30 Lathrop St.,                     One Planet

dogar@motcid.UUCP (Haroon H. Dogar) (10/19/90)

robert@madnix.UUCP (Robert Moldenhauer) writes:
>Hi,
>Still looking for programs, text files, etc. related to African studies
>(both Sub-Saharan and North Africa)

My last posting was lost (or censored) so I'm going to try this again.

Your best bet would probably be Sound Vision
				915 S. Bell
				Chicago, IL 60612
				1-800-432-4262

A sample of the selection:

HadithBase   (Complete Saheeh Al-Bukhari)

Islamic Scholar I  (Covers more than 60 topics in fiqh and aqeedah)

QuranBase  (Uses A.Y. Ali translation. You can search by selecting/typing a word, or
	    by using wildcards, boolean operators, verse (ayah) numbers,
	    chapter (surah) index, subject index)

These next two are for the Mac, but you might be interested so...

An-Nida' 2.0  (Requires Mac+ and up + HyperCard)

IslamBase  (The pre-release version that I saw is probably THE BEST PROGRAM EVER
	    WRITTEN FOR THE MAC that I have seen (ever, ever). Want to learn/teach
	    Arabic with the correct pronounciation? This program not only makes
	    the sounds that match the words and letters, it simultaneously displays
	    an animated mouth and throat illustrating the correct origin of the
	    sound and the correct toungue position) (Almost makes me want to
	    hock my 386-33 and buy a Mac II just for this program.)

In addition to software, they also carry a large selection of books, audio cassettes,
and video cassettes (including some by noted South African scholar Ahmed Deedat) that
might be useful in your classes.

Good luck in your search. I hope this helps.
-hd