[comp.sys.ibm.pc.misc] OCR programs available?

hqm@media-lab.MEDIA.MIT.EDU (Henry Minsky) (10/19/90)

I am trying to find out if there any good OCR (optical character
recognition) packages available for the UNIX (or DOS) environment. I am
interested in trying to feed the output of a fax-receive modem into an
OCR package, and see if anything useful comes out.

Does anyone have any experience with OCR packages (particularly
xerox/kurzweil) that they can share with me. I am interested especially
in something which could be run in a 'batch' mode for processing
documents automatically.

Thanks,
	Henry Minsky

kadie@cs.uiuc.edu (Carl M. Kadie) (10/19/90)

In <3734@media-lab.MEDIA.MIT.EDU> hqm@media-lab.MEDIA.MIT.EDU (Henry Minsky) writes:
>Does anyone have any experience with OCR packages (particularly
>xerox/kurzweil) that they can share with me. I am interested especially
>in something which could be run in a 'batch' mode for processing
>documents automatically.

The current PC Magazine (Oct 30, 1990, Vol 9. No. 18) reviews
9 OCR programs for the PC. They report a huge performance
difference between the best (OmniPage/386 & WordScan Plus) and the worst.

--
Carl Kadie  --- kadie@cs.uiuc.edu
 === Today the NEA and alt.sex, tomorrow our public libraries ===