[comp.sys.ibm.pc.misc] Creating another partition

stephenc@cunixf.cc.columbia.edu (Stephen Chung) (10/11/90)

Hi NetLanders,

I am currently running DOS 4.01 on an 80M IDE drive.  I want to create
a separate partition (maybe 10M or so) so that DOS 3.3 can recognize
it when I boot it up from a floppy.  The problem: I don't want to
backup my hard disk (I have about 40M of stuff and no tape backup unit).
Somebody suggests to me that I:

	1. Defragmentize the hard drive, push all files to the front
	2. Use fdisk to create a partition at the end or
	   Modify the partition table using a sector editor

I am a little skeptical about this because the manual says that using
fdisk will trash all data on the hard disk.  Does anyone know whether
it is save to do that?

Thanks a lot.  Reply to this account is appreciated.

- Stephen

david@gisatl.FIDONET.ORG (David Deitch) (10/15/90)

You won't believe this, but back on 11/Oct/90 (was a Thu BTW) at
about 14:46, this guy Stephen Chung said this to All:

 > I am currently running DOS 4.01 on an 80M IDE drive.  I want to create
 > a separate partition (maybe 10M or so) so that DOS 3.3 can recognize
 > it when I boot it up from a floppy.  The problem: I don't want to
 > backup my hard disk (I have about 40M of stuff and no tape backup
 > unit).

     Why go to any of this trouble?  The file formats used by 3.3 and
4.01 are the same.  Only the utilities are different.  Simply set up
two DOS directories on your HD, one for each version.  In your HD's
autoexec and config.sys, set up a path to the 4.01 dos directory and
shell to the command.com in your 4.01 directory. Then do the same
thing on your floppy for the 3.3 directory.

     David Deitch (GIS)
          deitch@gisatl.fidonet.org
               1:133/411@fidonet

David Deitch - via FidoNet node 1:133/411
UUCP: galbp!gisatl!david
INTERNET: david@gisatl.FIDONET.ORG

phys169@canterbury.ac.nz (10/15/90)

In article <1990Oct11.144632.6332@cunixf.cc.columbia.edu>, stephenc@cunixf.cc.columbia.edu (Stephen Chung) writes:
> I am currently running DOS 4.01 on an 80M IDE drive.  I want to create
> a separate partition (maybe 10M or so) so that DOS 3.3 can recognize
> it when I boot it up from a floppy.  The problem: I don't want to
> backup my hard disk (I have about 40M of stuff and no tape backup unit).
> Somebody suggests to me that I:
>
> 	1. Defragmentize the hard drive, push all files to the front
> 	2. Use fdisk to create a partition at the end or
> 	   Modify the partition table using a sector editor

The only way it could avoid ruining the data there already is if the new
partition is created ("by hand", e.g. Norton's utility) overlapping the
end of the existing partition, and you make an imaginary file in the original
partition taking all of the used space. Otherwise shrinking the first partition
will make the FAT wrong (the 2nd copy will want to start earlier on the disk).
A very messy operation. Best to back up and repartition, unfortunately. Why do
you want to boot up on Dos 3.3?
Mark Aitchison, Physics, University of Canterbury, New Zealand.

mlord@bwdls58.bnr.ca (Mark Lord) (10/19/90)

In article <628.2719DE7C@gisatl.FIDONET.ORG> david@gisatl.FIDONET.ORG (David Deitch) writes:
>You won't believe this, but back on 11/Oct/90 (was a Thu BTW) at
>about 14:46, this guy Stephen Chung said this to All:
>
> > I am currently running DOS 4.01 on an 80M IDE drive.  I want to create
> > a separate partition (maybe 10M or so) so that DOS 3.3 can recognize
> > it when I boot it up from a floppy.  The problem: I don't want to
> > backup my hard disk (I have about 40M of stuff and no tape backup
> > unit).
>
>     Why go to any of this trouble?  The file formats used by 3.3 and
>4.01 are the same.  Only the utilities are different.  Simply set up

Simply because the file formats are NOT the same in this case.
Specifically, DOS 3.3 does not recognize huge DOS 4.01 partitions.

For the original poster:  Back it up, and reformat/partition from scratch.
It's the only sure way to end up with proper FATs for both partitions.
I have tried what you suggest in the dark past, and it didn't work.

Not wanting to backup the drive is no excuse, as you ought to be doing that
on a regular basis anyway if you value the contents of your hard drive.

Besides, it's FUN sitting there spoonfeeding your computer !  :)
--
| ..uunet!bnrgate!mlord%bmerh724 | Climb Free Or Die (NH) |