[comp.sys.ibm.pc.misc] 486 Upgrades

mlord@bwdls58.bnr.ca (Mark Lord) (10/16/90)

In article ... kaleb@thyme.jpl.nasa.gov (Kaleb Keithley) writes:

>...I just upgraded my 386SX to a 486 (Can you say $1100?)
                                  ^^^
Please elaborate.. $1100 is about what the 486 chip costs, is it not?
I have yet to see motherboards for less than $2500 using this chip.

Inquiring minds want to know!
--
 ___Mark S. Lord__________________________________________
| ..uunet!bnrgate!mlord%bmerh724 | Climb Free Or Die (NH) |

kaleb@thyme.jpl.nasa.gov (Kaleb Keithley ) (10/16/90)

In article <4665@bwdls58.UUCP> mlord@bwdls58.bnr.ca (Mark Lord) writes:
>In article ... kaleb@thyme.jpl.nasa.gov (Kaleb Keithley) writes:
>>
>>...I just upgraded my 386SX to a 486 (Can you say $1100?)
>                                  ^^^
>Please elaborate.. $1100 is about what the 486 chip costs, is it not?
>I have yet to see motherboards for less than $2500 using this chip.
>
>Inquiring minds want to know!

$1100 for a 486 cpu strikes me as *extremely* high, considering I just bought
my rev B5 for $450, cash American.  Add another $675 for a 25mhz 128k cache
486 motherboard, OPTI chipset, AMI BIOS, 16Meg on board, two 8 bit slots,
5 16 bit slots, I calculate $1125, plus tax.

The system scores 41 on Norton SI.  Runs 25000 dhrystones on my benchmark
using MSC 5.1.  Same benchmark on a Sun 4/330 (16 mip SPARC) gets 23000.
The 486 is probably faster because the who dhrystone benchmark fits in
the cache.

Where do you get prices like this?  At the Los Angeles Area Computer Swap
meets.  All parts are new and warranteed.  You do have to be brave to
lay down $700 to one guy, and $450 to another, and take two pieces home
to plug them together.  Bring cash or check, cause they don't take American
Express, and they don't take VISA either for these kinds of prices.
It does pay to shop around.

Disclaimer:  I have no affiliation with the promoters of these swap meets.

--
Kaleb Keithley                      Jet Propulsion Labs
kaleb@thyme.jpl.nasa.gov

causing trouble again.

ilan343@violet.berkeley.edu (Geraldo Veiga) (10/17/90)

In article <1990Oct16.160729.1363@thyme.jpl.nasa.gov> kaleb@thyme.jpl.nasa.gov (Kaleb Keithley	) writes:
>In article <4665@bwdls58.UUCP> mlord@bwdls58.bnr.ca (Mark Lord) writes:
>>                                  ^^^
>>Please elaborate.. $1100 is about what the 486 chip costs, is it not?
>>I have yet to see motherboards for less than $2500 using this chip.
>
>$1100 for a 486 cpu strikes me as *extremely* high, considering I just bought
>my rev B5 for $450, cash American.  Add another $675 for a 25mhz 128k cache
>486 motherboard, OPTI chipset, AMI BIOS, 16Meg on board, two 8 bit slots,
Isn't "B6" the current revision of the 486?  What is the risk of buying
an old version?   $450  is too low for any Intel part, a 387 alone can
cost more than that.

rcollins@altos86.Altos.COM (Robert Collins) (10/17/90)

In article <1990Oct16.174133.22215@agate.berkeley.edu> ilan343@violet.berkeley.edu (Geraldo Veiga) writes:
>Isn't "B6" the current revision of the 486?  What is the risk of buying
>an old version?   $450  is too low for any Intel part, a 387 alone can
>cost more than that.

If memory serves me correctly, the B5 (that the original poster bought)
has some rather serious NPX bugs (Numeric Processor eXtention) that only
show up running under UNIX.  Therefore, it is safe to run the B5 for DOS
but not otherwise.

These bugs were fixed in the B6.

The errata dated 05/02/90 lists bugs in the C0 step.  So, B6 has long been
gone.  The ICE-486 on my desk is based on a C0, or C1 -- as component
ID information is 402.

So, no the B6 isn't the current version of the 486.  C0 has been out
for around 6 months.

--
"Worship the Lord your God, and serve him only."  Mat. 4:10
Robert Collins                 UUCP:  ...!sun!altos86!rcollins

kls@osupyr.mps.ohio-state.edu (Kenneth L. Shellberg) (10/17/90)

In article <1990Oct16.160729.1363@thyme.jpl.nasa.gov> kaleb@thyme.jpl.nasa.gov (Kaleb Keithley	) writes:
>In article <4665@bwdls58.UUCP> mlord@bwdls58.bnr.ca (Mark Lord) writes:
>>In article ... kaleb@thyme.jpl.nasa.gov (Kaleb Keithley) writes:
>>>
>>>...I just upgraded my 386SX to a 486 (Can you say $1100?)
>>                                  ^^^
>>Please elaborate.. $1100 is about what the 486 chip costs, is it not?
>>I have yet to see motherboards for less than $2500 using this chip.
>>
>>Inquiring minds want to know!
>
>$1100 for a 486 cpu strikes me as *extremely* high, considering I just bought
>my rev B5 for $450, cash American.  Add another $675 for a 25mhz 128k cache
>486 motherboard, OPTI chipset, AMI BIOS, 16Meg on board, two 8 bit slots,
>5 16 bit slots, I calculate $1125, plus tax.

rev B6 486 chips are going for about $1200

gargulak@mozart.convex.com (Tom Gargulak) (10/18/90)

In article <1990Oct16.160729.1363@thyme.jpl.nasa.gov>,
kaleb@thyme.jpl.nasa.gov (Kaleb Keithley	) writes:

> The system scores 41 on Norton SI.
		    ^^

Are you sure?  I haven't seen too many 486s quoting SI, but I thought
a 25mhz 486 would score about 80.  They normally score 110-120 on
Landmark and a 33Mhz 386 scores about 55 on this.

The 33Mhz 386 scores about 45 or so on SI.

-Tom

sunesen@iesd.auc.dk (Peter Sunesen) (10/19/90)

If there anyone there think, thay can get a 486-25 motherboard fore
$1100 thay think wrong. (A 486-25 motherboard cost about 2200-2500 US$
in Taiwan). So if Kaleb Keithley can deliver 486-25 board to 1100 US$,
ok, I think I know about 100 person that will like to ordre on!!!

Norton Si 5.0 fore 486 motherboard
486-25 about 54
486-33 about 72

Home adr:               | Peter V.H.Sunesen | Department of Computer Science
  Heimdalsgade 42,7     |                   |  University of Aalborg (AUC)
  9000 Aalborg, Denmark |sunesen@iesd.auc.dk|           Denmark

kaleb@thyme.jpl.nasa.gov (Kaleb Keithley ) (10/19/90)

In article <1990Oct19.103004.17621@iesd.auc.dk> sunesen@iesd.auc.dk (Peter Sunesen) writes:
>If there anyone there think, thay can get a 486-25 motherboard fore
>$1100 thay think wrong. (A 486-25 motherboard cost about 2200-2500 US$
>in Taiwan). So if Kaleb Keithley can deliver 486-25 board to 1100 US$,
>ok, I think I know about 100 person that will like to ordre on!!!

Always nice to hear from someone who knows better what I did than I do.
I paid US$675 for a 128K cache 486 motherboard, OPTI chip set, AMI bios
2 8-bit slots, 5 16-bit slots, *NO* cpu.  I paid US$450 for a B5 486.
Yes, I know that there are B6 and C0 revs available.  I'll let you add
up the prices, but if you can't, it's US$1125.

I'm not in the business, I'm not interested in being in the business, so
I'm not offering to deliver anything, at any price.  Well, maybe if you want
to offer $1500 cash, up front, I could probably be tempted to go buy some
more and ship them to you.

However, you can go to the same place I did, and do the same thing I did.
Here in Southern California they have Computer Swap Meets, basically an
open air marketplace where different vendors congregate to sell their
merchandise.  The one I went to, on the CSU Northridge Campus is *right*
next to the LAPD Devonshire Division Police Station, and is patrolled by
State University Police.  All vendors are legit, they must have business
licenses posted, they write receipts on printed invoices, they have
printed business cards that have their business addresses.  All merchandise
is warranteed.  While some stuff might be "hot", I believe the probability
of the stuff I bought being stolen is very, very low.

I post the prices I paid, as any good capitalist should, to provide feedback
to the marketplace.  Would you pay Compaq, Dell, or anyone else for that
matter, $5000 to $10000 when you could build it yourself for $2000?

>Norton Si 5.0 fore 486 motherboard
>486-25 about 54
>486-33 about 72

Really, whose 486 is that on.  The numbers I quoted were "out of the box."
I haven't begun to tweak the various chipset parameters yet to see if I
could squeeze higher numbers out.  Anyone got the Landmark test that's
willing to uuencode it and mail it to me, or point me to an archive that's
got it?

I'm already pleased that my dhrystone benchmark gets 26000 dhrystones out
of my 486, which is a lot better than the 23000 dhrystones that the same
benchmark gets on my Sun 4/330 at work.

--
Kaleb Keithley                      Jet Propulsion Labs
kaleb@thyme.jpl.nasa.gov

causing trouble again.

axaris@acsu.buffalo.edu (vassilios e axaris) (10/19/90)

Could you disclose the name of the board's manufacturer?
Thanks.

Vassilios E. Axaris