[comp.sys.ibm.pc.misc] Novell Crashes my PS/2

ajauch@orion.oac.uci.edu (Alex Jauch) (10/19/90)

HELP!

I'm getting a really wierd error on a couple of my PC's and I don't know
what's causing it.  I am running NCSA Telnet over token ring (so that's
weird right there) and trying to login to novell at the same time.  At
the 55sx at my desk this works just fine.  I merrily went installing it
on every pc in the office, only to find one 55sx and one 65sx who didn't
like it.  I can login to Novell, but if I run an application from dosshell
i get: Invalid COMMAND.COM.  Cannot load COMMAND, System Halted.

Does anyone know what is causing this?  Sorry for the cross posting, but
even though I assume it's a Novell error, it's a DOS message.

Thanks in advance.
Alex

--
Alex Jauch
*ajauch@bonnie.ics.uci.edu       |"If all you have is a hammer, then the whole*

edgincd2@mentor.cc.purdue.edu (Chris Edgington *Computer Science Major*) (10/19/90)

Have you tried SET COMSPEC = C:\COMMAND.COM after logging in to Novell?
This might solve your problems.

   __                     __
  /  ) /                 /  `    /                _/_
 /    /_  __  o _       /--   __/ _,  o ____  _,  /  ________
(__/ / /_/ (_<_/_)_    (___, (_/_(_)_<_/ / <_(_)_<__(_) / / <_
                                  /|          /|
------Purdue University
------edgincd2@mentor.cc.purdue.edu
------I don't work for anyone but myself.

oberste@ncifcrf.gov (Oberste) (10/19/90)

In article <271E0201.20909@orion.oac.uci.edu>, ajauch@orion.oac.uci.edu (Alex Jauch) writes:
> I'm getting a really wierd error on a couple of my PC's and I don't know
> what's causing it.  I am running NCSA Telnet over token ring (so that's
> weird right there) and trying to login to novell at the same time.  At
> the 55sx at my desk this works just fine.  I merrily went installing it
> on every pc in the office, only to find one 55sx and one 65sx who didn't
> like it.  I can login to Novell, but if I run an application from dosshell
> i get: Invalid COMMAND.COM.  Cannot load COMMAND, System Halted.
> Does anyone know what is causing this?  Sorry for the cross posting, but
> even though I assume it's a Novell error, it's a DOS message.

I encountered a similar problem yesterday when setting up additional stations
and trying to use Word Perfect. It turns out that even though I was using DOS
4.01, Netware thought I had DOS _4.00_ and set the comspec accordingly. When
I exited WP, I got the same message as you. I still dont know why this
happened, but my kludged solution is to create a new DOS directory on the
server using a different long_machine_name to point to DOS 4.01 vs. 4.00. To
see if this is your problem, login and get the DOS version (ver) and then
compare the size and creation dates of the DOS you boot with and the DOS that
your comspec points to. Good luck.

--steve

--
Steve Oberste                            Internet: oberste@ncifcrf.gov