[comp.sys.ibm.pc.misc] RLL controller...

jcburt@ipsun.larc.nasa.gov (John Burton) (10/18/90)

Sounds like you're working with an AT class machine (as opposed to
an XT class machine). The BIOS on the mother board contains the
rountines for running the hard disk. The problem you running into
is that the controller *also* has its own BIOS...so what you need to
do is in the setup program, specify "no hard disk" (which disables
the motherboard disk BIOS routines) to  allow the controller BIOS
to function properly...

Another alternative is to get a controller that doesn't have an on board
BIOS (not sure if there are any RLLs without on board BIOS).

I  would suggest that you go to your local library or book store and
pick up a book on repairing and upgrading PC's...I don't know the
author, but a book I've used goes by the title "Repairing and Upgrading
your PC" which was available at walden software/books...

Good Luck

John Burton
(jcburt@cs.wm.edu)
(jcburt@ipsun.larc.nasa.gov)

kmeis@drutx.ATT.COM (Kevin J. Meis) (10/19/90)

In article <1990Oct18.143318.2900@abcfd20.larc.nasa.gov>, jcburt@ipsun.larc.nasa.gov (John Burton) writes:
> Sounds like you're working with an AT class machine (as opposed to
> ... (etc.) ...
> Another alternative is to get a controller that doesn't have an on board
> BIOS (not sure if there are any RLLs without on board BIOS).
>
> John Burton

Be careful before you buy a controller with no ROM if you expect to
drive an RLL drive with your mother-board BIOS.  Some BIOSs don't
have the correct options for them.  My Pheonix 386SX BIOS is an
example.

Kevin Meis
att!drutx!kmeis

koch@motcid.UUCP (Clifton Koch) (10/20/90)

> Sounds like you're working with an AT class machine (as opposed to
> an XT class machine). The BIOS on the mother board contains the
> rountines for running the hard disk. The problem you running into
> is that the controller *also* has its own BIOS...so what you need to
> do is in the setup program, specify "no hard disk" (which disables
> the motherboard disk BIOS routines) to  allow the controller BIOS
> to function properly...

  That will work with an XT type controller which has the drive parameters
on the card, but not an AT.  The disk controller bios still looks at an
AT's CMOS RAM to determine the drive type number.  I use a 1006-SR2 also and
I had to set the drive number types to the type that matched the table in
the hard disk controller bios.  The tables between controller and mother-
board bios (AMI) did not match.  It seems like I tried the user selectable
parameters and didn't have much luck.  However I did find parameters 'close
enough' in the disk controller bios table.

Cliff Koch