[comp.sys.ibm.pc.misc] Can Windows 3.0 handle 80Meg HD partition?

owenc@hpindwa.cup.hp.com (Owen Cheung) (10/11/90)

I have heard that Windows 3.0 and DOS 4.0 cannot handle harddisk partition
of greater than 80Meg.  Is that true? Any work around?

brim@cbmvax.commodore.com (Mike Brim - Product Assurance) (10/12/90)

In article <36440006@hpindwa.cup.hp.com> owenc@hpindwa.cup.hp.com (Owen Cheung) writes:

> I have heard that Windows 3.0 and DOS 4.0 cannot handle harddisk partition
> of greater than 80Meg.  Is that true? Any work around?

Untrue.  I've been using Windows 3.0 and MSDOS 4.1 (not 4.0) on 200meg
partitions with no problems relating to the HD.  It is possible that this
rumor started with the Disk Manager/ > 1024 cyl/Smartdrive problem.
Disclaimer: My company knows not what I say (or do).

Mike Brim			     |	Commodore Electronics Limited
PC Analyst - System Evaluation Group | 	West Chester, PA 19380
Product Assurance		     |	InterNet: brim@cbmvax.commodore.com

mpd@anomaly.sbs.com (Michael P. Deignan) (10/13/90)

owenc@hpindwa.cup.hp.com (Owen Cheung) writes:

>I have heard that Windows 3.0 and DOS 4.0 cannot handle harddisk partition
>of greater than 80Meg.  Is that true? Any work around?

This is incorrect. I use Windows 3.0 on a PS/2 Model 70 with a 120mb HD
partitioned as one large volume under DOS 4.0.

MD
--
-- Michael P. Deignan, President     -- Small Business Systems, Inc. --
-- Domain: mpd@anomaly.sbs.com       -- Box 17220, Esmond, RI 02917  --

ariel@seer.UUCP (Catherine Hampton) (10/14/90)

Sure they can.  I run MS-DOS 4.01 and Windows 3.0 on my Toshiba
T-5100 (laptop '386).  The machine has a 100 mg hard drive, which
is formatted as a single large volume.  I've been using Windows
3.0 on it since mid-April (I did beta-testing for Aldus Corporation
this spring and got a beta version) without any trouble, at least
associated with the hard disk.

Cathy
Catherine A. Hampton                  BITNET: hampton@reed.BITNET
CIS: 71601,3130                      Fidonet: Cathy H. @ 1:125/32
GEnie: C.HAMPTON3     Internet: hampton@reed.EDU / ariel@seer.COM

strobl@gmdzi.gmd.de (Wolfgang Strobl) (10/20/90)

owenc@hpindwa.cup.hp.com (Owen Cheung) writes:

>I have heard that Windows 3.0 and DOS 4.0 cannot handle harddisk partition
>of greater than 80Meg.  Is that true? Any work around?

No, it's not true. I'm using Windows 3, DOS 4.0 and a 120 MByte partition
at home and most people in my group use a similar combination with one
or more partitions between 32 and 200 MByte for some time now and
without disk related problems.

Where did you hear this? It is a known problem that Windows 3 does not
like some third party partitioning programs which allow partitions
greater than 32 MB on DOS versions below 4.0. The usual workaround is
to upgrade to DOS 4.0. The limit of "80 MByte" seems a bit strange
to me.

Wolfgang Strobl
#include <std.disclaimer.hpp>