[comp.sys.ibm.pc.misc] internet

mlyons@pro-truckstop.cts.com (Handles, SysOp) (10/20/90)

Attention all InterNet users; Sour Grapes.

** FLAME ON **

I'm a ProLine SysOp which can interface with UNIX computers and have
asked our local University, (USF) University of South Florida, to allow
me to pull some feeds from them.  At first I was told that I could,
then they put in a new computer, and a change of staff.  With that I
was told in a harsh way, NO!.

Why?  I was told its a conflict of interest,  What?  How?  These schools
of so called higher learning think that a lowly Apple IIGS can't possibly
use any feeds?  or receive them from their computer?  I only wanted Apple
II, Macintosh and a few UNIX feeds. (BTW: My system is totally free,
except for donations).

I was told that other systems get the feeds because they donate moneys
and equipment to this university, so we give them access to the feeds. I
was told there so called super computer can't be bothered with feeds to
a small system for free. I thought the internet was free.

I also know that it cost them money to use there computer and that they
give the feeds to other systems, so what is the difference?  So what if
other small local systems would like to recieve the feeds too.  A couple
of small system could like a IBM, Amaga etc, sysops could use the local
feeds too. Just one system per computer type or say 5 local systems could
call and distribute them to the other sites that want them locally.

So as a show of support for my cause, call USF TECH support, voice 813/974
-3307 or fax 813/974-3149  or thu this group, E-mail malek@sol.usf.edu .

** FLAME OFF **

Bitter; Any Comments?

America OnLine : Handles           | Remember Viet Nam? Remember our MIAs!
INET: mlyons@pro-truckstop.cts.com | Apple's don't die, they have seeds...
ProLine: I love this software.     | Many a blunt word has a sharp edge...

mju@mudos.ann-arbor.mi.us (Marc Unangst) (10/20/90)

mlyons@pro-truckstop.cts.com (Handles, SysOp) writes:
> then they put in a new computer, and a change of staff.  With that I
> was told in a harsh way, NO!.

That's their right; they don't owe you a newsfeed in any way, shape,
or form.

> a small system for free. I thought the internet was free.

Nope.  Authorized educational, research, and government installation
are permitted to use NSFnet, which is most of what you think of as the
"Internet".  All the other subnets, like Merit, NYSERnet, JVNCnet, and
so forth, have their own rules and regulations for use.  It isn't
"free", even though it might look that way.

If you really mean Usenet, that isn't necessarily free, either.  Each
individual site is free to charge or not charge for newsfeeds.
They're also free to decide which newsgroups they will receive, which
ones they won't, and which ones they'll pass along.  UUNET is only
required to give you a feed if you're a customer.

> So as a show of support for my cause, call USF TECH support, voice xxx/xxx
> -xxxx or fax xxx/xxx-xxxx or thu this group, E-mail xxxxx@xxx.xxx.xxx .

Please don't.  I'm sure that USF has enough to do without dealing with
calls from irate users about something they likely have no control
over.

> Bitter; Any Comments?

Yeah.  If you want a newsfeed so badly, talk to UUNET Communications,
info@uunet.uu.net.  Oh, you want one for free?  Well, then realize
that nobody has to give one to you, and YOU'RE the one who should be
grateful for the feed -- if you act obnoxious, everybody else is going
to tell you to go somewhere else.

Find someone else, or talk to UUNET.  But don't come whining to us;
especially not in comp.sys.ibm.pc.misc, where it obviously doesn't
belong.  (Followups to news.misc, please.)

--
Marc Unangst               |
mju@mudos.ann-arbor.mi.us  | "Bus error: passengers dumped"

elec135@canterbury.ac.nz (10/21/90)

In article <e6icR3w163w@mudos.ann-arbor.mi.us>, mju@mudos.ann-arbor.mi.us (Marc Unangst) writes:
> mlyons@pro-truckstop.cts.com (Handles, SysOp) writes:
>> then they put in a new computer, and a change of staff.  With that I
>> was told in a harsh way, NO!.
> That's their right; they don't owe you a newsfeed in any way, shape,
> or form.
..[stuff deleted]...
> Yeah.  If you want a newsfeed so badly, talk to UUNET Communications,
> info@uunet.uu.net.  Oh, you want one for free?  Well, then realize
> that nobody has to give one to you, and YOU'RE the one who should be
> grateful for the feed -- if you act obnoxious, everybody else is going
> to tell you to go somewhere else.
> Find someone else, or talk to UUNET.  But don't come whining to us;
> especially not in comp.sys.ibm.pc.misc, where it obviously doesn't
> belong.
> Marc Unangst               |
> mju@mudos.ann-arbor.mi.us  | "Bus error: passengers dumped"
> ....!umich!leebai!mudos!mju |
Marc, your comments don't seem to constitute a positive contribution to this
situation.  I, personally, can see no reason why a university should not help
out a smaller system trying to operate within their community, especially if
the cost to them is minimal (which I assume it would be). It would seem that
those persons who now run the computing facilities at that university are the
ones being, in your words, obnoxious. Perhaps you could suggest why they
should not be helpful?
  Also, you say "don't come whining to us"; this would imply that you
represent the majority of users of this news group. Do you believe this to
be so? I am certain that there are many who do not agree with you, myself
for one. Next time you go to speak on behalf of us all, perhaps you should
consider if you are not just dragging us all along to support YOUR views.

Regards,
Robert Rozee
(ROZEE@ELEC.CANTERBURY.AC.NZ)