[comp.sys.ibm.pc.misc] Error in Norton SI 5.0

sunesen@iesd.auc.dk (Peter Sunesen) (10/19/90)

If you are the looky owner of a smartchace controler to your PC,
Norton SI 5.0, go fast in disk index.
I get a disk index about 1950.0 (so compac go home), and it look like
it is a integer there have past it limits, becouse the track to track
writs also about 1950 ms, including det random asses if it not report
0.0, compard to norton si 4.5 si di 45.0

It also go down sometime, when it have bean measured a time, with a error of
something to big.

Else norton have made the si good.

--
Home adr:               | Peter V.H.Sunesen | Department of Computer Science
  Heimdalsgade 42,7     |                   |  University of Aalborg (AUC)

robl@idca.tds.PHILIPS.nl (R. Luursema) (10/22/90)

In article <1990Oct19.104248.17843@iesd.auc.dk> sunesen@iesd.auc.dk (Peter Sunesen) writes:
>If you are the looky owner of a smartchace controler to your PC,
>Norton SI 5.0, go fast in disk index.
>I get a disk index about 1950.0 (so compac go home), and it look like
>it is a integer there have past it limits, becouse the track to track
>writs also about 1950 ms, including det random asses if it not report
>0.0, compard to norton si 4.5 si di 45.0

I ran Norton SI 5.0 on my system and reports datarate of 0.0 Kbps.
It obviously does something wrong in its disk tests. It either uses unsupported
or illegal INT calls or uses the service track (which contains the bad sectors)
in some incorrect way.
(FYI: I use an Adaptec ESDI controller with 320Mb disk and DOS 4.01)

Rob.

PS. I know English is not your native language, but you might consider to
spell check your postings in the future. It is so easy on those unix boxes,
and makes it so much better readable.  Note this is not a flame, just a hint.