[comp.sys.ibm.pc.misc] IBM 4331

ali99@bsu-cs.bsu.edu (Mohammad Ali) (10/19/90)

Greetings....

Looking for some details on the IBM 4331 series of mini computer...

 Like
      1. What OS is used..?
      2. How many users...?
      3. Object compatible with s/370.
      4. Size of the computer.
      5. Processing power in MIPs or processor speed.
      6. DASD units
      7. Any other info

Also going to network this with PC's...any suggestions hints...??

Thankx in advance
Ali
p.s I'll appreciate if you can send me a quick respone.

mpd@anomaly.sbs.com (Michael P. Deignan) (10/22/90)

ali99@bsu-cs.bsu.edu (Mohammad Ali) writes:

>Looking for some details on the IBM 4331 series of mini computer...
>
>      1. What OS is used..?

DOS/VSE, VM/SP, MVS. Depending on the 31 model number you get, you
may not really want to run MVS.

>      2. How many users...?

It really depends on your application.

>      3. Object compatible with s/370.

Yes.

>      4. Size of the computer.

6'x3'x6', give or take a little. I've never really gotten a yardstick out
to measure our '81, but the '31 is comparible in size.

>      5. Processing power in MIPs or processor speed.

Again, depends on the model number. I believe up to 2.4.

>      6. DASD units

3380's, 3375's; I'm not sure on the 3390's, I suppose it really depends on
the disk control unit you get.

>Also going to network this with PC's...any suggestions hints...??

PC-Mainframe, from CR-Software. Its a really nice package, and only runs
about $10k.

MD
--
-- Michael P. Deignan, President     -- Small Business Systems, Inc. --
-- Domain: mpd@anomaly.sbs.com       -- Box 17220, Esmond, RI 02917  --

jcmorris@mwunix.mitre.org (Joe Morris) (10/23/90)

In article <11919@bsu-cs.bsu.edu> ali99@bsu-cs.bsu.edu (Mohammad Ali) writes:

>Looking for some details on the IBM 4331 series of mini computer...
>
>      1. What OS is used..?
  VM or VSE.  MVS would probably run, but very slowly...which is a redundant
  statement.
>      2. How many users...?
  Depends on the workload.  It's not fast or big, but for small card-wolloper
  shops it was a good machine for its day.
>      3. Object compatible with s/370.
  It *is* a member of the s/370 architecture line.  With a few machine-
  specific features (and excluding XA and ESA goodies) the S/370, 43xx, 937x,
  303x, 308x, 3090, and now S/390 all share the same basic architecture
  and binary compatibility.
>      4. Size of the computer.
  In what terms?  The machine type (4331) says only what basic electronic
  design was used.  Model numbers are used to distinguish CPU speed and
  memory sizes.  Some representative numbers:

   Model    Memory (MB) range    Max channels   MIPS   Max channel speed

   4331-1      .5 - 1.0              ?          .25        .5 MB/sec
   4331-11      1 - 4                2          .38       1.25 MB/sec
   4331-2       1 - 4                4          .50       1.86 MB/sec
>      5. Processing power in MIPs or processor speed.
  See above.
>      6. DASD units
  Whatever DASD would fit the rather anemic channel speed limitations.  My
  notes say that 3310, 3350, and (for the -2) 3370/3375 would work.
>      7. Any other info
  The boxes included optional under-the-covers TP interface options and maybe
  an integrated disk controller as well.

>Also going to network this with PC's...any suggestions hints...??

Why?  The unit is an antique, and for a trivial amount of money you can
get newer, more powerful IBM boxes from brokers.   A 4381-P2, for example,
is listed as available for $13,500: it's got a MIPS rating (whatever that's
really worth) of 2.8 with 8 MB of memory and 3 MB/sec channels.   Smaller
machines are available for what seems to be little more than shipping cost.

Joe Morris