[comp.sys.ibm.pc.misc] Unix-like shell for IBM

eagle@hobbes.catt.ncsu.edu (Daniel L'Hommedieu) (10/12/90)

Is there a replacement shell for PC-DOS that will replace COMMAND.COM
and allow Unix commands? I am continuously entering Unix commands at the
DOS prompt, and DOS commands at the Unix prompt.  If there isn't one
already, I'll just end up writing it.  Please reply via email. Thanks in
advance for any info!
--
Daniel C. L'Hommedieu III             Internet: eagle@hobbes.catt.ncsu.edu
Prodigy ID: BCCJ33D                             dclhomm@eos.ncsu.edu

frank@odetics.com (Frank Merrow) (10/13/90)

In article <1990Oct11.195759.11163@ncsuvx.ncsu.edu> eagle@hobbes.catt.ncsu.edu (Daniel L'Hommedieu) writes:
>Is there a replacement shell for PC-DOS that will replace COMMAND.COM
>and allow Unix commands? I am continuously entering Unix commands at the
>DOS prompt, and DOS commands at the Unix prompt.  If there isn't one
>already, I'll just end up writing it.  Please reply via email. Thanks in
>advance for any info!

Hi Daniel,

Contact Mortice Kern System and ask them about their MKS Toolkit.  I use
this address to get them via the net: uunet!mailrus!utai!watmath!mks!toolkit
I have used their toolkit for several years now and LOVE it.  I have even
taken really nasty shell scripts from work and they run at home on my
AT with NO CHANGES.  I was VERY impressed with that one.  Their support
is also very good.  You can also check into "polyshell" from Polytron.
Once of the guys across the hall from me at work like it very much.  Both
of them give you the "look and feel" of Unix with litterally EVERYTHING
you are used to (grep, awk, cat, shell, etc....).  The only two things
you will miss with both packages is 1) multi-tasking (DOS won't do it) and
csh (if that is your preferred shell).  However, MKS provides ksh which
is basically Born Shell (sic) with the things from csh you REALLY want
(history and command fetch from history).

Frank
frank@odetics.com

ilan343@violet.berkeley.edu (Geraldo Veiga) (10/14/90)

In article <1990Oct13.010928.1732@odetics.com> frank@odetics.UUCP (Frank Merrow) writes:
>In article <1990Oct11.195759.11163@ncsuvx.ncsu.edu> eagle@hobbes.catt.ncsu.edu (Daniel L'Hommedieu) writes:
>>Is there a replacement shell for PC-DOS that will replace COMMAND.COM
>>and allow Unix commands? I am continuously entering Unix commands at the
>>DOS prompt, and DOS commands at the Unix prompt.  If there isn't one
>>already, I'll just end up writing it.  Please reply via email. Thanks in
>>advance for any info!
>
>of them give you the "look and feel" of Unix with litterally EVERYTHING
>you are used to (grep, awk, cat, shell, etc....).  The only two things
>you will miss with both packages is 1) multi-tasking (DOS won't do it) and
>csh (if that is your preferred shell).  However, MKS provides ksh which
>is basically Born Shell (sic) with the things from csh you REALLY want
>(history and command fetch from history).

The ksh also gives much better command line editing.  I second the
recommendation of the MKS tool kit.

kelpie@nwnexus.WA.COM (Anthony C. Garland) (10/15/90)

eagle@hobbes.catt.ncsu.edu (Daniel L'Hommedieu) writes:

>Is there a replacement shell for PC-DOS that will replace COMMAND.COM
>and allow Unix commands? I am continuously entering Unix commands at the
>DOS prompt, and DOS commands at the Unix prompt.  If there isn't one
>already, I'll just end up writing it.  Please reply via email. Thanks in
>advance for any info!

    Just in the off chance you haven't run across it yet, you might want
    to check out "MKS Toolkit" by Mortis Kern Systems.  If you are a
    died-in-the-wool Unix hacker, its pretty hard to beat the set of Unix
    command utilities (including "vi", "ksh", "awk" and a whole host of
    others) that MKS provides in a quality fashion.  It ain't free, but
    IMHO its well worth it.
o-----------------------------------------------------------------------------o
| Anthony C. Garland, P.E.                                 Garland Consulting |
| 1373 S. Bonanza Alley,                                       (206) 387-6390 |
| Camano Island, WA 98292                               kelpie@nwnexus.WA.COM |
o-----------------------------------------------------------------------------o

jsommer@hpwad.HP.COM (#Juergen Sommer) (10/16/90)

>>  Is there a replacement shell for PC-DOS that will replace COMMAND.COM
>>  and allow Unix commands? I am continuously entering Unix commands at the
>>  DOS prompt, and DOS commands at the Unix prompt.  If there isn't one
>>  already, I'll just end up writing it.  Please reply via email. Thanks in
>>  advance for any info!

Maybe try the MKS toolkit. Lots of UNIX commands like awk, vi .... and a
replacement for the DOS shell: ksh!

Juergen Sommer
HEWLETT PACKARD
jsommer@hpwadrd.hp.com

hessel@hpcuha.cup.hp.com (Steve Hessel) (10/17/90)

Try the MKS Toolkit from Mortice Kern Systems Inc., 35 King Street North,
Waterloo, Ontario, Canada N2J 2W9.  Telephone 519 884 2251.  I have been
using it for a couple years.  It is exactly what you are asking for, a
k shell (extension of borne shell) command porcessor used in leu of
command.com.  In addition, it comes with a number of utility programs
which do what you thought the DOS equivalents would do until you tried
them, and with many UNIX commands.  The on-line support is also
knowledgable and very helpful.

Steve Hessel, HP

stevek@hp-ptp.HP.COM (Steve_Kite) (10/17/90)

You also might try 4DOS from JP Software.  It is available
as shareware on many bulletin boards.  The latest
release is ver 3.02.

It has many UNIX like features, such as alias, command edit and
recall, etc. built in.

~  If a jimbuck stands alone by the sea, on a night when the    ~
~  dark moon sings, how many grains on sand in a single one of  ~
~  his footprints?                                              ~
~                                                               ~
~  steve kite     -   hp-ptp!stevek   -   stevek@hp-ptp.HP.COM  ~

jkenyon@us.cc.umich.edu (Jim Kenyon) (10/17/90)

There's a C shell called cshel.... available via anonymous ftp from
simtel.  Looked pretty good (I like 4DOS better but it's not csh) when
I tested it.
--
Jim Kenyon -- jkenyon@css.itd.umich.edu
University of Michigan, 401 Washtenaw Ave

sjb@cs.toronto.edu (Stephen Bellantoni) (10/23/90)

stevek@hp-ptp.HP.COM (Steve_Kite) writes:

>You also might try 4DOS from JP Software.

On top of this you can put PICNIX, a set of Unix command clones.
I think you can get it from mtsg.ubc.ca