[comp.sys.ibm.pc.misc] What is a .zip file? How can I anzip it?

nicolas@csi.forth.gr (Nicolas Chrissakis) (10/23/90)

Hello Net People,

I have a .zip file and I want to unzip it. Is this a compressed file?
I am using a Sun 3/60, Sun Os Ver 4.0.3. Is there a program that unzips
the file? This is a VMS or Dos compress format?

Thank you for any help

Nicolas Chrissakis              Office: +30 81 221171, 229302,229368,229346
                                Fax   : +30 81 229343, 229342
Systems Analyst                 Telex : 262389 CCI GR
Foundation of Research          E-mail: nicolas@csi.forth.gr  -or-
and Technology - Hellas         ______  NICOLAS @ ARIADNE | ariadne!nicolas
Institute of Computer Science   P.O.Box 1385, Heraklio, Crete Greece 711 10
_____________________________   ___________________________________________

smsmith@hpuxa.ircc.ohio-state.edu (Stephen M. Smith) (10/24/90)

In article <1500@ariadne.csi.forth.GR> nicolas@csi.forth.gr
(Nicolas Chrissakis) writes:

>I have a .zip file and I want to unzip it. Is this a compressed file?
>I am using a Sun 3/60, Sun Os Ver 4.0.3. Is there a program that unzips
>the file? This is a VMS or Dos compress format?
>
>E-mail: nicolas@csi.forth.gr

I'm posting this so others can benefit.  A listing of the file
extensions for compressed files along with a key and explanation on
how to uncompress them can be found in the monthly posting in this
newsgroup under the subject "Frequently Asked Questions".  It is
a good idea to make a hard copy of this posting so you can refer
to it from time to time (it treats a variety of subjects and points
you toward other sources for answering various questions).

To find this posting, go to the beginning of this newsgroup (by
entering "1" to designate which posting you want to read), then
enter the following:

            /Frequent/r

This will scan foward all previously read articles for the string
"Frequent" and should take you immediately to the appropriate posting.
At least this works on my machine (unix), so you may need to see
how to perform searches on your system if yours is different.

Sorry if this posting is elementary.

S. Smith <smsmith@hpuxa.ircc.ohio-state.edu>

P.S.--Nicolas: I spent the year in Greece in 1988-89. Great time!