[comp.sys.ibm.pc.misc] Minix

wolfskeh@acf9.nyu.edu (Mark Wolfskehl) (10/17/90)

Can anyone clarify something for me?

Is Minix for the PC public domain.  I had thought it was, but I can't find
it on any ftp sites, and I saw an add for it in a computer magazine.

If it is PD, does anyone know of any ftp sites that have it? Thanks.

Mark Wolfskehl
wolfskeh@acf9.nyu.edu

rusbara2@sage.cc.purdue.edu (Bob Rusbasan) (10/17/90)

In article <wolfskeh.656107403@acf9> wolfskeh@acf9.nyu.edu (Mark Wolfskehl) writes:
>Can anyone clarify something for me?
>
>Is Minix for the PC public domain.  I had thought it was, but I can't find
>it on any ftp sites, and I saw an add for it in a computer magazine.
>
>If it is PD, does anyone know of any ftp sites that have it? Thanks.

Minix is not public domain.  It is sold for, I think, around $100.  It is
distributed by Prentice Hall, but I am told not to order through them
because they are terribly slow in filling orders for it.

I heard a while ago that there were ftp sites with it.  I don't know what
the deal was.  Also, the moderator at comp.binaries.ibm.pc has been sent
a demo version (without source and possibly some features) that he'll
hopefully post soon.

If anyone knows of ftp sites with the demo version I'd like to know about
them.

If you want to know more about Minix it has its own newsgroup.  Get the
freqently asked questions posting.

Bob Rusbasan
bob@en.ecn.purdue.edu

jkenyon@us.cc.umich.edu (Jim Kenyon) (10/17/90)

I thought Minix required a license of some sort -- we used it here (still do
I think) for the undergrad op systems class and had to have a license.
The cost to buy it out right was pretty small, as I remember.
--
Jim Kenyon -- jkenyon@css.itd.umich.edu
University of Michigan, 401 Washtenaw Ave

rennolet@mosquito (Rennolet (Kumar)) (10/17/90)

In article <4628@sage.cc.purdue.edu> rusbara2@sage.cc.purdue.edu (Bob Rusbasan) writes:
>In article <wolfskeh.656107403@acf9> wolfskeh@acf9.nyu.edu (Mark Wolfskehl) writes:
>>Can anyone clarify something for me?
>>
>>Is Minix for the PC public domain.  I had thought it was, but I can't find
>>it on any ftp sites, and I saw an add for it in a computer magazine.
 ... stuff deleted ...
>Minix is not public domain.  It is sold for, I think, around $100.  It is
>distributed by Prentice Hall, but I am told not to order through them
>because they are terribly slow in filling orders for it.

 ... stuff deleted ...
>Bob Rusbasan
>bob@en.ecn.purdue.edu

I would like to let the community know that Prentice Hall is NOT necessarily
slow (although any company can goof up in particular cases).  I have ordered
two copies of minix from them and received both within a couple of weeks.
They were very friendly and efficient, but do not have extended hours,
so call early (if you are out west).

The other place carrying it is the Software Toolworks, which advertised
in such places as MicroCornucopia (before its demise) and Computer Language
(which is what Dr Dobbs calls itself these days).

There is a LARGE amount of activity in the minix newsgroup these days.  If
you tune in for about a week you will see almost every possible question
(and answer).

charles@thurse.MN.ORG
rennolet@umn-ai

norm@oglvee.UUCP (Norman Joseph) (10/18/90)

In <4628@sage.cc.purdue.edu> rusbara2@sage.cc.purdue.edu (Bob Rusbasan) writes:

>In article <wolfskeh.656107403@acf9> wolfskeh@acf9.nyu.edu (Mark Wolfskehl) writes:
>>Is Minix for the PC public domain.  I had thought it was, but I can't find
>>it on any ftp sites, and I saw an add for it in a computer magazine.

>Minix is not public domain.  It is sold for, I think, around $100.  It is
>distributed by Prentice Hall, but I am told not to order through them
>because they are terribly slow in filling orders for it.

The following information is excerpted from a posting by MINIX's author, Andy
Tanenbaum, to comp.os.minix and other groups on 9 Sep 1990:

--------------------------------->8 cut here 8<-------------------------------
From: ast@cs.vu.nl (Andy Tanenbaum)
Newsgroups: comp.os.minix,comp.os.misc,comp.sys.atari.st,comp.sys.amiga,comp.binaries.ibm.pc.d
Subject: New MINIX available (UNIX clone with full source code)
Date: 9 Sep 90 11:13:47 GMT

1. WHAT IS MINIX 1.5
     MINIX 1.5 is a new version of an operating system that is very similar to
UNIX.  MINIX has been written from scratch, and therefore does not contain any
AT&T code--not in the kernel, the compiler, the utilities, or the libraries.
For this reason it can be made available with the complete source code
(on diskette).  It runs on the IBM PC, XT, AT, PS/2, 386, and most clones.
Versions are also available for the Atari ST, Macintosh, and Amiga.

[...]

9. HOW TO ORDER MINIX 1.5
     MINIX 1.5 is being sold by Prentice-Hall.  The product numbers and prices
are as follows:

  - MINIX 1.5 for the IBM: 5 1/4"   (0-13-585076-2)  $169
  - MINIX 1.5 for the IBM: 3 1/2"   (0-13-585068-1)  $169
  - MINIX 1.5 for the Amiga	    (0-13-585043-6)  $169
  - MINIX 1.5 for the Atari	    (0-13-585035-5)  $169
  - MINIX 1.5 for the Macintosh     (0-13-585050-9)  $169 (available Oct. 1)

Sales tax and shipping are extra; Prices are slightly higher outside the U.S.

All versions include the executable binaries, a detailed manual, the complete
source code (on diskettes), and an attractively typeset, cross-referenced
listing of the operating system code.

     P-H is making a big effort to get software stores to keep MINIX in stock.
The easiest way to order it is to go to a software store and ask them for
it.  If they don't stock it, they can always order it.  Alternatively, you
can order directly by email, FAX, phone, or mail from Prentice-Hall as follows.

In North America and the Far East
  To order by email:	books@prenhall.com
  To order by FAX:  	(201) 767-5625
  To order by phone:	(800) 624-0023  or  (201) 767-5969
  To order by mail:	Microservice Customer Service
			Simon & Schuster
			200 Old Tappan Road
			Old Tappan, NJ 07675

In UK/Europe
  To order by email:	books@prenhall.com
  To order by FAX:	+1 (201) 767-5625 (US number)
  To order by phone:	+44 (442) 231-555 (UK number)
  To order by mail:	Order Dept.
			Prentice-Hall International
			66 Wood Lane End
			Hemel Hempstead
			Herts. HP2 4RG ENGLAND

For email and FAX orders, please include the product name and number, your
name and address, and your MasterCard or VISA card number and expiration date.
If you wish delivery by Federal Express (costs extra), please indicate so.

MINIX can also be ordered from the following addresses:

In England:	The MINIX Center
		Forncett End
		Norwich
		Norfolk NR16 1HT England
		0953-89345

In Germany:	Steve Steinkrauss
		Feldtorweg 24
		D3406 Bovenden 1
		Germany

In the Benelux:	Fred van Kempen
		Postbus 184
		2100 AD Heemstede
		Holland
		Tel: +31 23 287935
		FAX: +31 23 294229

In Scandinavia:	Frank O'Donell
		P.O. Box 88
		1371 Asker
		Norway

In Spain and	Deborah Worth
   Portugal:	Appartado Numero 50672
		Madrid
		Spain

In Italy:	Jim Blaho
                Piazza Santo Spirito 17
                50125 Florence
		Italy

In Greece:	Vassilis Zahos
		Kritonos 5-7
		GR 11634 Athens
		Greece

In Turkey:	Atilla Gullu
		Milli Mudafaa Cad 14/7
		Kizilay Ankara
		Turkey

[...]

10. LEGAL STATUS OF MINIX
     Although MINIX is supplied with the complete source code, it is
copyrighted software.  It is not public domain.  It is also not like GNU.
However, the copyright owner, Prentice-Hall has granted permission to bona
fide universities to copy the software for use in courses and in university
research projects.  It is also permitted for MINIX owners to change the
software to suit their needs and to distribute diff listings containing
their changes freely.  The shrink-wrap license that comes with MINIX states
that you may legally make two backup copies of the software.  Prentice-Hall
is being much less strict than other software vendors.  Please do not abuse
this.  Companies that wish to embed MINIX in commercial systems or sell
MINIX-based products should call (212) 995-7788 to discuss licensing terms.

11. NEWS ABOUT MINIX
     Since its introduction in January 1987, there has been a large an
active USENET newsgroup about MINIX, comp.os.minix.  It currently has
about 25,000 members.  Over 12,000 messages have been posted to this
group so far.  These messages have contained questions, bug reports,
bug fixes, new software, and diff listings to allow current users to
update to new releases for free.  It is the intention to continue this
policy into the indefinite future.  MINIX users on Bitnet can be put on
a mailing list by sending mail to: info-minix-request@udel.edu.  Various
archives store newsgroup traffic for newcomers to the newsgroup.

[...]

13. WHERE CAN I GET PAST POSTINGS AND PROGRAMS?
     Many sites keep archives of MINIX-related material, ranging from
archives of articles posted to more organized repositories of programs posted
to the net.  The complete MINIX distribution is NOT (repeat NOT) available
from any online archive.  This is not permitted.  Only the newsgroup traffic is
stored there.

List Archives:

     bugs.nosc.mil                   Current
     louie.udel.edu                  July '87 - Dec '89 (?)
     vm1.nodak.edu                   Current year
     wsmr-simtel20.army.mil          July '87 - Dec '89 (?)

Formal Archives (MINIX sources):

     aerospace.aero.org
     doc.ic.ac.uk
     dsrgsun.ces.cwru.edu
     en.ecn.purdue.edu
     funet.fi
     hobbes.cs.umd.edu
     hub.cs.jmu.edu
     The Mars Hotel BBS
     NL-MUG
     plains.nodak.edu
     sirius.ucs.adelaide.edu.au
     terminator.cc.umich.edu
--------------------------------->8 cut here 8<-------------------------------

Hope this helps answer some questions.
--
Norm Joseph - (amanue!oglvee!norm)           cgh!amanue!oglvee!norm@dsi.com, or
  Oglevee Computer Systems, Inc.             ditka!oglvee!norm@daver.bungi.com

silver@xrtll.uucp (Hi Ho Silver) (10/20/90)

   To the best of my knowledge, Minix is _not_ PD.  It's very cheap, though,
so its price shouldn't be a problem.
--
HI ROGER |Nikebo says "Nikebo knows how to post.  Just do it."| silver@xrtll

2113av@gmuvax2.gmu.edu (John Porter) (10/24/90)

In article <1990Oct17.152959.6991@cs.umn.edu> rennolet@mosquito.UUCP (Rennolet (Kumar)) writes:
>and Computer Language (which is what Dr Dobbs calls itself these days).

WHAT!   Surely you're joking. _Computer Language Magazine_ and _Dr. Dobbs'_
_Journal_OSTFTPP_ are two completely separate entities and always have been.

-- jp