[comp.sys.ibm.pc.misc] trakblas

law@ee.ualberta.ca (Jamnan Law) (10/18/90)

The trakblas problem that was mentioned has nothing to do with
80386, but rather, the high speed of the machine.
One recommendation that I can give is run 4DOS (available from simtel20)
before you run trakblas and will see why the trakblas program
hanged before. Another solution maybe to turn off the turbo speed
before runing trakblas, but then, you may notice some "imperfectness"
in the songs.
After I solved this problem of trakblas, another problem pops up.
It seems that trakblas only reads in certain amount of data (of the song,
*.mod). So long song (large files like those > 64k) will stop
suddenly.. so far, i only got two songs that exit "normally, smoothly"
Any idea why this problem exists?

minakami@Neon.Stanford.EDU (Michael K. Minakami) (10/18/90)

In article <1990Oct17.135021.2026@IRO.UMontreal.CA> fasciano@IRO.UMontreal.CA (Massimo Fasciano) writes:
>In article <y5J6q1w163w@zooid.UUCP> dve@zooid.UUCP (David Mason) writes:
>>I'm not sure if this is the right newsgroup but...
>>
>>I recently downloaded Trakblaster v1.2, which is supposed to play Amig
>>Soundblaster files on the PC using the
>>Soundblaster card. Unfortunately it gets about 10 seconds into the song and
>>locks up - I have to cold reboot. I'm using a 25mhz 386 and have tried
>>running it with a stripped-down autoexec and config. Anyone have any ideas?
>>

>Hi,
>
>  i've tried TrakBlas on my 386/20 and it does the exact same thing (10 sec
>  into the song, it hangs with a divide error or something)
>
>  A doc file that comes with the program says that the guy who prepared
>  the archive tried it on his 386 and it failed... Could this be a problem
>  with all 386 machines, or something more subtle?

Ditto on my 386sx/20

Michael Minakami

The child can explain the man better than  | Michael K. Minakami
      the man can explain the child.       | minakami@neon.stanford.edu

David.Haigh@comp.vuw.ac.nz (David Haigh) (10/19/90)

In article <1990Oct18.010210.14987@Neon.Stanford.EDU>,
minakami@Neon.Stanford.EDU (Michael K. Minakami) writes:
|> In article <1990Oct17.135021.2026@IRO.UMontreal.CA>
|> fasciano@IRO.UMontreal.CA (Massimo Fasciano) writes:

|> Amig
|> song and
|> tried
|> any ideas?
|> >>

|> >Hi,
|> >
|> >  i've tried TrakBlas on my 386/20 and it does the exact same thing
|> (10 sec
|> >  into the song, it hangs with a divide error or something)
|> >
|> >  A doc file that comes with the program says that the guy who
|> prepared
|> >  the archive tried it on his 386 and it failed... Could this be a
|> problem
|> >  with all 386 machines, or something more subtle?
|> >

|> Ditto on my 386sx/20
|>
|> Michael Minakami
|>

|> --

|> The child can explain the man better than  | Michael K. Minakami
|> |>       the man can explain the child.       |
|> minakami@neon.stanford.edu

I read in ibm.pc.hardware about someone using trakblas on their 20MHz
SX, and who had the same symptoms. He simply slowed down his machine and
the divide-by errors stopped - i.e. it works! Try it!

Cheers.
--
David Haigh.
eckles@comp.vuw.ac.nz

jh5y+@andrew.cmu.edu (Jordan Powell Hargrave) (10/21/90)

Does anyone know where I can find song files for Trakblas?
I just downloaded it the other day and I am quite impressed.
(Still doesn't do the Amiga justice. :->)

  Thanks!
    Jordan Hargrave
    Carnegie Mellon University

David.Haigh@comp.vuw.ac.nz (David Haigh) (10/25/90)

In article <Ib8_VHe00WAuICRlw_@andrew.cmu.edu>, jh5y+@andrew.cmu.edu
(Jordan Powell Hargrave) writes:
|> Does anyone know where I can find song files for Trakblas?
|> I just downloaded it the other day and I am quite impressed.
|> (Still doesn't do the Amiga justice. :->)
|>
|>   Thanks!
|>     Jordan Hargrave
|>     Carnegie Mellon University

Why don't you try:

abcfd20.larc.nasa.gov              128.155.23.64

This is a major AMIGA archive site. I think this is where I FTPed some
soundtracker modules... Be warned, some soundtracker mods do not seem to
work with trakblas (just hang my machine), these may be  noisetracker
modules, but I can't say for sure. You may have to look quite hard to
find them....

Cheers.
--
David Haigh.