[comp.sys.ibm.pc.misc] Norton's backup program

draper@cpsin2.cps.msu.edu (Patrick J Draper) (10/24/90)

Hi everyone

I'm looking for a good backup program. I'd prefer to get a tape drive,
but because I've got no free funds, I'm looking for backup programs that
work with diskettes.

Norton's backup looks real good. I've tried PC Tools 5.5, but it doesn't
work reliably. I need something that can detect a bad diskette while I
backup up, not when I'm restoring and the file can't be read.

Can someone who's used this or other backup programs give me advice?

Thanks,

Patrick Draper  ---- Michigan State University

edgincd2@mentor.cc.purdue.edu (Chris Edgington *Computer Science Major*) (10/24/90)

From postnews Tue Oct 23 17:02:13 1990
In article <1990Oct23.201818.13593@msuinfo.cl.msu.edu>, draper@cpsin2.cps.msu.edu (Patrick J Draper) writes:
> Norton's backup looks real good. I've tried PC Tools 5.5, but it doesn't
                                              ^^^^^^^^^^^^

I use PC Tools 6 and it's backup hasn't failed me yet.  It has an excellent
compressions ratio and is very fast and easy to use.  Info World recently
rated it as the best backup program, better than fastback and norton
backup.  Also, now you can buy the backup program alone for alot less than
the entire pc tools package, so if that's all you want you don't have to pay
for more than you need.

Chris Edgington

riehm@maccs.dcss.mcmaster.ca (Carl Riehm) (10/24/90)

>In article <1990Oct23.201818.13593@msuinfo.cl.msu.edu>, draper@cpsin2.cps.msu.edu (Patrick J Draper) writes:
>> Norton's backup looks real good. I've tried PC Tools 5.5, but it doesn't
I bought the Norton backup program a few months ago; talk about expensive -
costs about as much as PCTools...  and is a single purpose program.  But it
wouldn't run.  I called Norton, spent good $$ on about 45 minutes long distance
(they don't have an 800 number of course..).  They couldn't help me. Told me to
send them a printout that the program produces when you do Cntrl-I.  Did this.
Still no reply after 4 or 5 months.  I've lost track, and also evidently my
money.  By the way I have a true blue system - IBM Model 70.  Am I mad??
You bet I am!   Every time I see  that smug smile of Peter Norton's in one
of their smug ads, I feel like punching him right on the schnoz!
There I got it off my chest...    Carl Riehm.

jcburt@ipsun.larc.nasa.gov (John Burton) (10/24/90)

In article <1990Oct23.201818.13593@msuinfo.cl.msu.edu> draper@cpsin2.cps.msu.edu (Patrick J Draper) writes:
>Hi everyone
>

>I'm looking for a good backup program. I'd prefer to get a tape drive,
>but because I've got no free funds, I'm looking for backup programs that
>work with diskettes.
>
>Norton's backup looks real good. I've tried PC Tools 5.5, but it doesn't
>work reliably. I need something that can detect a bad diskette while I
>backup up, not when I'm restoring and the file can't be read.
>
>Can someone who's used this or other backup programs give me advice?
>
>Thanks,
>
>Patrick Draper  ---- Michigan State University

Try FastBack Plus. I'm not sure of the manufacturer name, but I've
used it and am quite happy with it...you can tell it which device you
want to send the backup to (A: B: or whatever)...I run it on my PC-XT
with a 80meg hard drive and a 1.44meg floppy on B:. I haven't had any
problems with it so far...It also lets you compress the backup to save
floppy space...You can change the degree of compression to suit your
needs...(speed vs. space)

John Burton
(jcburt@cs.wm.edu)
(jcburt@ipsun.larc.nasa.gov)

rgreene@pnet01.cts.com (Robert Greene) (10/25/90)

Didn't Peter Norton sell out to Symantec just before the release of the
Norton Utils for the Macintosh? Or did he only sell the Mac utilities?
Sounds like you have reason to be mad, but you may be mad at the wrong guy.

kooijman@duteca (Richard Kooijman) (10/25/90)

draper@cpsin2.cps.msu.edu (Patrick J Draper) writes:

>I'm looking for a good backup program. I'd prefer to get a tape drive,
>but because I've got no free funds, I'm looking for backup programs that
>work with diskettes.

>Norton's backup looks real good. I've tried PC Tools 5.5, but it doesn't
>work reliably. I need something that can detect a bad diskette while I
>backup up, not when I'm restoring and the file can't be read.

The new version of PC Tools Backup can verify diskettes while it is backing up.
I think version 5.5 can do this too though. The new version also handles
several types of tape drives in case you get one.
I use PC Backup regularly (3-2 times per month) and it is working fine.

Richard.

als@hpwarqp.hp.com (Al Sherman) (10/26/90)

>In article <1990Oct23.201818.13593@msuinfo.cl.msu.edu> draper@cpsin2.cps.msu.edu (Patrick J Draper) writes:
>>
>>Norton's backup looks real good. I've tried PC Tools 5.5, but it doesn't
>>work reliably. I need something that can detect a bad diskette while I
>>backup up, not when I'm restoring and the file can't be read.
>>
>>Can someone who's used this or other backup programs give me advice?

  I have used PC Tools 5.5 without problems.  You can configure it in
  the "options" pulldown menu to "Verify Always".  This should eliminate
  the problem you describe.

  Another possibility is the annoying habit of Central Point to have rolling
  updates of their software, to fix bugs.  The 5.5 version of PCBACKUP which
  gave me no problems is dated 8/14/89.  Earlier versions may have problems.

  Similarly, I found problems with early revs of PC Tools version 6 software.
  The version I'm using has most modules dated 5/02/90 6:03pm, and has been
  very reliable. I've seen a later version dated 7/something/90 6:04pm which
  has a few minor fixes.  If you complain to Central Point, they will send
  you updates.  Good luck.