[comp.sys.ibm.pc.misc] IBM PC <----> HP disk interchange

paz@mlb.dmt.csiro.au (Paul Zemancheff) (10/22/90)

	I wish to to be able transfer files between an IBM pc 3 1/2" high
density drive and the HP 3 1/2" (270/710K) disk format as produced by the 9153
HP disk drive. Can I,

	1/ Read the HP format on a IBM high density drive ?.
	2/ Write the HP format on IBM high density drive ?.

The HP systems is a 9816S running Basic 4.0 and the 9153 includes the 3 1/2"
drive.  Any suggestions as to whether this is possible and how it might be
done would be most welcome.

						Paul.......

Paul Zemancheff		      PHONE: +61 3 487 9271    FAX: +61 3 484 0878
CSIRO Division of	      ACSNET or CSNET: paz@mimir.dmt.oz
Manufacturing Technology,     ARPA: paz%mimir.dmt.oz@uunet.uu.net
Melbourne, Australia.	      UUCP: {uunet,ukc,mcvax}!munnari!mimir.dmt.oz!paz

infocenter@urz.unibas.ch (10/22/90)

In article <1754@mimir.mlb.dmt.csiro.au>, paz@mlb.dmt.csiro.au (Paul Zemancheff) writes:

> 	I wish to to be able transfer files between an IBM pc 3 1/2" high
> density drive and the HP 3 1/2" (270/710K) disk format as produced by the 9153
> HP disk drive. Can I,
>
> 	1/ Read the HP format on a IBM high density drive ?.
> 	2/ Write the HP format on IBM high density drive ?.
>
> The HP systems is a 9816S running Basic 4.0 and the 9153 includes the 3 1/2"
> drive.  Any suggestions as to whether this is possible and how it might be
> done would be most welcome.
>
> 						Paul.......
>

> Paul Zemancheff		      PHONE: +61 3 487 9271    FAX: +61 3 484 0878
> CSIRO Division of	      ACSNET or CSNET: paz@mimir.dmt.oz
> Manufacturing Technology,     ARPA: paz%mimir.dmt.oz@uunet.uu.net
> Melbourne, Australia.	      UUCP: {uunet,ukc,mcvax}!munnari!mimir.dmt.oz!paz

Hi Paul,

Uniform-PC from MicroSolutions, 132 W. Lincoln Hwy. DeKalb, IL 60115,
(815) 756 3411 is a program that allows you converting files from a bunch of
strange formats to MSDos and back (at least 150 diff. formats).
You have to load a special device driver and then you start a program where you
can choose the format.

In the version I have (2.12) your machine is not supported, but there might be
a newer update that solves your problem.

I tried to get infos from MicroSolutions, they sent me an address of the Swiss
distributor, but he does not support this product.
So I would appreciate getting an answer, whether it is worthwhile to get
an update. It's such a hassel for me to reach them over the ocean (time diff.).

bye ....................................................  Didi

*  Universitas Basiliensis                                       InfoCenter  *

dlow@hpspcoi.HP.COM (Danny Low) (10/23/90)

>	I wish to to be able transfer files between an IBM pc 3 1/2" high
>density drive and the HP 3 1/2" (270/710K) disk format as produced by the 9153
>HP disk drive.

The following companies have products that perform this conversion...

 FILE/SWAP-PC from: A Gentle Wind
    186 Partridge St
    Albany, NY 12203
    Phone 518-482-9023

    Oswego Software
    507 North Adams
    Oswego, Illinois   60543
    Phone 312-554-3567

I have never used any of their products. I just know they make these
products.

			   Danny Low
    "Question Authority and the Authorities will question You"
	   Valley of Hearts Delight, Silicon Valley
     HP SPCD   dlow%hpspcoi@hplabs.hp.com   ...!hplabs!hpspcoi!dlow

tonyy@hpislx.HP.COM (Tony Yokoyama) (10/26/90)

Hewlett-Packard has a product called LIF Utilities for the PC (product
No. HP E2080A) which transfers files from HP formatted disks to
DOS formatted disks and vice versa.  This is a DOS program that
runs on IBM PC's and clones and uses PC's internal disk drives to
read/write HP formatted disks (also it can talk to CS80/SS80 drives
through HP's PC GPIO card).
I assume that by HP format you mean LIF format (Logical Interchange Format)
and NOT HFS (i.e., Unix) format. Since this program does not handle
HFS formatted disks.
Besides HP LIF format to DOS format and DOS format to HP LIF format conversion
functions, this program has other utilities such as HP LIF catalog, purge,
hexadecimal dump and initialize disk to HP format.
This may be what you need.  If you have any particular questions send them
to me via email.  I may be able to help you.

Tony Yokoyama
Hewlett-Packard, Measurement Systems Operation
tonyy@hpislx