[comp.sys.ibm.pc.misc] Found:National BBS list

joshuaj@yang.earlham.edu (When I grow up I want to be a boson.) (10/25/90)

Hey gang-
	Due to the high volume of requests I've recieved for the BBS list,
I can't keep sending stuff out - so future requests will be deleted. Sorry,
but the list is available from several other sources. i.e. ts@chyde.uwasa.fi
might have some more info. I barely have enough file space quota to hold
the file, let alone the 20 requests I'm getting a day - SO, please, casual
conversational messages accepted (as always) but MOST PEOPLE- don't email
me anymore. Thanks-
Josh

ts@uwasa.fi (Timo Salmi) (10/26/90)

In article <3483@yang.earlham.edu> joshuaj@yang.earlham.edu (When I grow up I want to be a boson.) writes:
>Hey gang-
>	Due to the high volume of requests I've recieved for the BBS list,
>I can't keep sending stuff out - so future requests will be deleted. Sorry,
>but the list is available from several other sources. i.e. ts@chyde.uwasa.fi
>might have some more info. I barely have enough file space quota to hold
>the file, let alone the 20 requests I'm getting a day - SO, please, casual
>conversational messages accepted (as always) but MOST PEOPLE- don't email
>me anymore. Thanks-
>Josh

 Q: Should I offer to email this utility I have at my disposal?

 A: As a general answer I would say that the results of this kind of
an offer often come as a nasty surprise to the person offering the
service.  Several unsuspecting users have had the problem of being
completely inundated with the subsequent email requests, and may
even have to withdraw the offer.  A much safer avenue is to tell
where the utility is available.  Or if it is not yet available
anywhere on the net, first upload it to a suitable ftp site (don't
forget to notify the moderator).  Most often this means Simtel20
and/or uwasa.fi archives.
   But if you have gullibly made such an offer I suggest that you
grit your teeth, and see things through.  The least you should do is
to make the information available where and how the utility can be
obtained, if you have to go back on your offer of emailing directly
to the users.
   Now what to do in the case if you are a user who has seen some
goodies offered, and the offer of emailing then withdrawn.  Back to
the old file lists.  We have several at uwasa.fi archives.  If you
get the following files you have a good change of finding what you
are looking for: /pc/INDEX, /pc/ts/0dir-ts, /pc/pd2/0dir-pd2,
/unix/ts/0dir-u, /pc/pd2/files-mm.zip, and Simtel20.arc.

Prof. Timo Salmi        (Moderating at anon. ftp site 128.214.12.3)