[comp.sys.ibm.pc.misc] Seeking lpr server

rick@helix.nih.gov (Rick Troxel) (10/20/90)

[This idea comes from the Mac world.]  Does anyone know of software
that would allow a PC with TCP/IP access to function as a unix lpr
server?  That is, the PC would support the Berkeley Line Printer
protocol and accept unix print jobs.  Ideally, the printer could be
attached directly to the PC or accessible to it over a LAN.
--
Rick Troxel       | All effort and exertion put forth by man from the fullness
rick@helix.nih.gov| of his heart is worship, if it is prompted by the highest

mcguire@math.uiowa.edu (Charlie McGuire) (10/24/90)

In article <RICK.90Oct19171246@helix.nih.gov>, rick@helix.nih.gov (Rick
Troxel) writes:
|> [This idea comes from the Mac world.]  Does anyone know of software
|> that would allow a PC with TCP/IP access to function as a unix lpr
|> server?  That is, the PC would support the Berkeley Line Printer
|> protocol and accept unix print jobs.

I am also interested in software that would allow me to go the other way.
ie. A program that implements lpr spooling to a Unix host.

Charlie McGuire				mcguire@math.uiowa.edu
Systems Programmer			mcguire@cs.uiowa.edu
Dept. of Computer Science
The University of Iowa

py@meadow.uucp (Peter Yeung) (10/26/90)

In article <2854@ns-mx.uiowa.edu> mcguire@math.uiowa.edu (Charlie McGuire) writes:

>I am also interested in software that would allow me to go the other way.
>ie. A program that implements lpr spooling to a Unix host.

Did you look at TCP/IP products for DOS like PC/TCP from FTP Software Inc.?

Their address is:

    FTP Software Inc.
    26 Princess Street
    Wakefield, MA 01880

	Phone: (617) 246-0900

From what I understand, the ExeceLan (spelling???) ethernet net comes with
TCP/IP software (the card is an intelligent card and the bulk of the TCP/IP
software runs on the card). I do not have their address though.

--
Peter Yeung     Amdahl Canada Ltd., Software Development Center
                2000 Argentia Road, Plaza 2, Suite 300