[comp.sys.ibm.pc.misc] Word problem with hardware

dwright@gara.une.oz.au ( HIST) (10/26/90)

I have a note from a friend  which explains his problem.  He says:

>What I am still very interested to know is how to get MS WORD to
>recognise my Paradise VGA card. I have tried putting VGA=TRUE in the
>autoexec to no avail; it still shows only white chrs on blue, and
>the windows are too big for the monitor (I have to always squeeze
>them with the monitor controls). I have written to the importer of
>my computer: no luck. Perhaps you could put up a request for info on
>the net?? I have a Blue Star AT compatible, running Award BIOS,
>Paradise VGA (256k), and a TP250p multisync monitor.  No other
>programme gives me any trouble.

I'm afraid it's beyond me, but I have great faith in the collective
wisdom of the net to come up with some ideas.

Many thanks,

Denis.

marshall@wind55.seri.gov (Marshall L. Buhl) (10/27/90)

dwright@gara.une.oz.au ( HIST) writes:

>I have a note from a friend  which explains his problem.  He says:

>>What I am still very interested to know is how to get MS WORD to
>>recognise my Paradise VGA card. I have tried putting VGA=TRUE in the
>>autoexec to no avail; it still shows only white chrs on blue, and

You friend didn't mention which version of Word he is using, but in
Word 5, the Options menu allows you to set screen colors.  I've never heard
of the VGA environment variable being used in conjunction with Word.  I
use Word on a VGA and don't use it.  Did your friend change the monitor
and card after installing Word for a different display device?  If so,
he will need to rerun the Setup program.

>>the windows are too big for the monitor (I have to always squeeze
>>them with the monitor controls).

>>Paradise VGA (256k), and a TP250p multisync monitor.  No other

I don't know about the TP250p monitor, but the original NEC MultiSync
cannot perform the vertical syncing for VGA.  Ever program (or display
mode within Word) produces a different vertical screen size.

This really POed me when I found out about it.
--
Marshall L. Buhl, Jr.                EMAIL: marshall@seri.gov
Senior Computer Missionary           VOICE: (303)231-1014