[comp.sys.ibm.pc.misc] DESQview/X vs. X-terminals

forrest@sybase.com (10/06/90)

I just finished reading "DESQview/X, A Technical Perspective"
which talks about plans for a new version of DESQview. This new version
will contain a whole bunch of stuff, among which are:

	o An MSDOS X server
	o Various window managers
	o Xlib, Xt, and various toolkits
	o MSDOS system software to make all this work right

This document says nothing about cost but, given the rapidly
descreasing price of CPU's and memory, I wonder what DESQview/X
will do to the X-terminal market. For that matter, I wonder if this
will help make developing X applications more profitable since the
number of machines capable of running DESQview/X will be very large.
And, I wonder what this will do to the Windows 3.0 and OS/2-PM market.
(Of course, all this assumes that DESQview/X works well).

----
Anything you read here is my opinion and in no way represents Sybase, Inc.

Jon Forrest WB6EDM
forrest@sybase.com
{pacbell,sun,{uunet,ucbvax}!mtxinu}!sybase!forrest
415-596-3422

granroth@iowasp.physics.uiowa.edu (10/09/90)

In article <11193@sybase.sybase.com>, forrest@sybase.com writes:
> I just finished reading "DESQview/X, A Technical Perspective"
> which talks about plans for a new version of DESQview. This new version
> will contain a whole bunch of stuff, among which are:
>
> 	o An MSDOS X server
> 	o Various window managers
> 	o Xlib, Xt, and various toolkits
> 	o MSDOS system software to make all this work right
> . . .

The obvious request is:  Could someone post a copy of this?
I suspect that Quarterdeck would be more-than-happy.

-Larry    Granroth@IowaSP.physics.UIowa.edu    IOWASP::GRANROTH

jan@moses.canberra.edu.au (Jan Newmarch) (10/10/90)

In article <1990Oct8.213042.1011@iowasp.physics.uiowa.edu> granroth@iowasp.physics.uiowa.edu writes:
>In article <11193@sybase.sybase.com>, forrest@sybase.com writes:
>> I just finished reading "DESQview/X, A Technical Perspective"
>> which talks about plans for a new version of DESQview. This new version
>> will contain a whole bunch of stuff, among which are:
>>
>> 	o An MSDOS X server
>> 	o Various window managers
>> 	o Xlib, Xt, and various toolkits
>> 	o MSDOS system software to make all this work right
>> . . .
>
>The obvious request is:  Could someone post a copy of this?

I doubt it - it has lots of pages. I faxed QuarterDeck (found the number in
Byte) and was sent a copy in less than a week.

+----------------------+---+
  Jan Newmarch, Information Science and Engineering,
  University of Canberra, PO Box 1, Belconnen, Act 2616
  Australia. Tel: (Aust) 6-2522422. Fax: (Aust) 6-2522999

  ACSnet: jan@ise.canberra.edu.au
  ARPA:   jan%ise.canberra.edu.au@uunet.uu.net
  UUCP:   {uunet,ukc}!munnari!ise.canberra.edu.au!jan
  JANET:  jan%au.edu.canberra.ise@EAN-RELAY

+--------------------------+

>-Larry    Granroth@IowaSP.physics.UIowa.edu    IOWASP::GRANROTH

pnl@hpfinote.HP.COM (Peter Lim) (10/11/90)

I saw that "Technical Guide" in the latest BYTE magazine -- IBM PC special
edition, don't have it with me.  Quarterdeck printed a note on the side
... If this booklet is removed, call Quarterdeck and they will send you
a free copy. Can't remember the phone number though. Anyone ??

Basically, it is still vaporware. Scheduled to be release 1991. Essentially,
the booklet describe DesqView, X11 features and lots of promise what
DesqView/X can do.

I wait for 1991 .....

Regards,                       ## Life is fast enough as it is ........
Peter Lim.                     ## .... DON'T PUSH IT !!          >>>-------,
                               ########################################### :
E-mail:  plim@hpsgwg.HP.COM     Snail-mail:  Hewlett Packard Singapore,    :
Tel:     (065)-279-2289                      (ICDS, ICS)                   |
Telnet:        520-2289                      1150 Depot Road,           __\@/__
  ... also at: pnl@hpfipnl.HP.COM            Singapore   0410.           SPLAT !

#include <standard_disclaimer.hpp>

jan@golf.canberra.edu.au (Jan Newmarch) (10/11/90)

In article <1990Oct10.033323.12590@csc.canberra.edu.au> jan@moses.canberra.edu.au (Jan Newmarch) writes:
>I faxed QuarterDeck (found the number in
>Byte) and was sent a copy [of their technical report on X]
>in less than a week.

I didn't include the contact in that posting since I didn't have it
with me. Here it is:

	Quarterdeck Office Systems
	150 Pico Blvd.,
	Santa Monica,
	CA 90405
	USA
	(213) 392-9851
	Fax: (213) 399-3802

+----------------------+---+

kelpie@nwnexus.WA.COM (Anthony C. Garland) (10/12/90)

pnl@hpfinote.HP.COM (Peter Lim) writes:

>I saw that "Technical Guide" in the latest BYTE magazine -- IBM PC special
>Basically, it is still vaporware. Scheduled to be release 1991. Essentially,
>the booklet describe DesqView, X11 features and lots of promise what
>DesqView/X can do.
>I wait for 1991 .....

While I agree with the author that it is vaporware, it is worth noting that
in the same BYTE issue in the article entitled "The Migration of the X
Window System" the author saw demo'd an early version of Desqview X and
was very impressed with its capabilities and apparent robustness (at such
an early stage).  For what its worth...
o-----------------------------------------------------------------------------o
| Anthony C. Garland, P.E.                                 Garland Consulting |
| 1373 S. Bonanza Alley,                                       (206) 387-6390 |
| Camano Island, WA 98292                               kelpie@nwnexus.WA.COM |
o-----------------------------------------------------------------------------o

cgordon@vpnet.chi.il.us (Gordon Hlavenka) (10/13/90)

Gordon S. Hlavenka            cgordon@vpnet.chi.il.us

mark@infolog.se (Mark Plotnick) (10/17/90)

In article <1990Oct8.213042.1011@iowasp.physics.uiowa.edu> granroth@iowasp.physics.uiowa.edu writes:
>In article <11193@sybase.sybase.com>, forrest@sybase.com writes:
>> I just finished reading "DESQview/X, A Technical Perspective"
>> which talks about plans for a new version of DESQview. This new version

What would be the difference between this and a X-Server application
running under Windows-3?

Mark          mark@infolog.se

kusumoto@chsun1.uchicago.edu (Bob Kusumoto) (10/19/90)

mark@infolog.se (Mark Plotnick) writes:
>What would be the difference between this and a X-Server application
>running under Windows-3?

A different window manager at the very least (Quarterdeck is using their own
window manager rather than olwm, twm or some other one in the standard X11
distribution).  Do you think MSWindows3 will handle DOS programs at the
same time as your running X windows (is there an MSWindows X-window terminal
out there already?)?

Bob
   Bob Kusumoto                               |    Find the electric messiah!
Internet:  kusumoto@chsun1.uchicago.edu       |          The AC/DC God!
Bitnet:    kusumoto@chsun1.uchicago.bitnet    | - My Life with the Thrill Kill
UUCP:  ...!{oddjob,gargoyle}!chsun1!kusumoto  |   Kult, "Kooler than Jesus"

cb@sequoia.execu.com (Christopher D. Brown) (10/19/90)

#
#A different window manager at the very least (Quarterdeck is using their own
#window manager rather than olwm, twm or some other one in the standard X11
#distribution).  Do you think MSWindows3 will handle DOS programs at the
#same time as your running X windows (is there an MSWindows X-window terminal
#out there already?)?
I don't have my references handy but at least one of XY Vision, X Sight, and
AT Vision runs as an MS Windows window.  In 386 enhanced mode, Windows 3.0
can multi-task DOS and Windows apps.

cb
--
Christopher D. Brown

Digital: {uunet|cs.utexas.edu}!execu!cb
Analog: (512) 327-7070
Physical: Execucom, 108 Wild Basin Road, Two Wild Basin, Austin, TX 78764

phil@brahms.amd.com (Phil Ngai) (10/23/90)

In article <251@infolog.se> mark@infolog.se (Mark Plotnick) writes:
|>> I just finished reading "DESQview/X, A Technical Perspective"
|What would be the difference between this and a X-Server application
|running under Windows-3?

As I understand it (correct me if I'm wrong), DV/X offers three
interesting capabilities, some might be obvious, some might not.

1) X server host. You could run X clients on your favorite Unix box
and use your PC as the display.

2) X client(s) host. You could buy your favorite X client(s) from
SW publishers (who may or may not exist right now) and run them
on your PC without depending on a friendly Unix box being available.
You could be running the X server at the same time. Or you might
be sitting on an X terminal, with the PC running DV/X locked in
a closet.

3) DOS application server. That is, a Unix box with an X server
could open up a DOS application on a PC with DV/X and run it as
an X client. So software that only runs on a PC could be made
available to a Unix community. I suppose you could buy Lotus for
$400, put it on a 486, and let a few dozen people run it at the
same time.

It would be interesting to see what kind of displays mode 3 supports.
Would it be TEXT only, or would VGA be supported? What would that
do to your network...

--
The Bill of Rights isn't perfect, but it's better than what we have now.

hp0p+@andrew.cmu.edu (Hokkun Pang) (10/25/90)

can someone send me electronic version of the info if there's one?
I can't seem to find an all IBM edition of byte magzine here in Pittsburgh.

mschedlb@binkley.ULowell.EDU (Martin J. Schedlbauer) (10/31/90)

Desqview/X is not vaporware. I've seen it in action in May at
Xhibition'90. It worked and it
worked amazingly well. Alpha copies are being shipped to developers
already and general release
is supposed to come in November.

It has support for SuperVGA (I was told) and they are writing device
drivers for major VGA
cards.

It is a full X11R3 server with many of the standard clients, e.g. twm,
uwm, xclock, etc. plus
a new window manager. They also ship OSF/Motif, Xt, and will ship Xview.

It runs well and running over a network is as good as any X application.
Running over a network
is not as bad as it may seem, since X does buffering and all sorts of
tricks to keep the network
traffic low. Actually, the performancxe degredation is usually not
noticable, unless the
network is very heavily loaded.

Martin J. Schedlbauer
Graphics Research Laboratory, Department of Computer Science, WL 118
University of Lowell
Lowell, MA 01854 (USA)			(508) 934-3612