[comp.sys.ibm.pc.misc] How do I make *OLD* AT know about 3.5" drives?

todd@ivucsb.sba.ca.us (Todd Day) (10/31/90)

I have an old 6MHz original AT at work and want to know how I
can update the CMOS so that it knows about 3.5" drives.  It
appears that these drives were not around when the AT was first
made and therefore not included in the setup program.

For now, I have told the machine that I have a 1.2 MB 5.25 drive,
and it appears to read and write 3.5 media just fine.  However,
Norton Format (ver 4.5) seems to always think there is a 5.25
drive there.  Certainly, I can't blame it.

So, is there some program out there I can use to program the CMOS
so that Norton Format will know about the 3.5 drive?

Thanks in advance.

--
Todd Day |   todd@ivucsb.sba.ca.us   |  ucsbcsl!ivucsb!todd

millihelen - the amount of beauty required to launch one ship

6500spyk@ucsbuxa.ucsb.edu (Chris Brooks) (11/01/90)

In article <1990Oct31.133357.29531@ivucsb.sba.ca.us> todd@ivucsb.sba.ca.us (Todd Day) writes:

>I have an old 6MHz original AT at work and want to know how I
>can update the CMOS so that it knows about 3.5" drives.  It
>appears that these drives were not around when the AT was first
>made and therefore not included in the setup program.
>So, is there some program out there I can use to program the CMOS
>so that Norton Format will know about the 3.5 drive?

I looks as if you need to update your BIOS chip.  I had to do the same
when I purchased a 3.5" high density drive for my Tandy 3000HL.  The chip
was only about $25 and is easy to install yourself.  After I updated the
BIOS, setup immediately recognized the drive and so did other software
I was using.
--
Christopher L. Brooks                               6500spyk@ucsbuxa.bitnet
UC - Santa Barbara                                  brooks@faulty.ucsb.edu