[comp.sys.ibm.pc.misc] Telix 3.12 destructive backspace "bug"

ergo@netcom.UUCP (Isaac Rabinovitch) (10/31/90)

In <5433@quiche.cs.mcgill.ca> depeche@quiche.cs.mcgill.ca (Acme Instant Dehydrated Boulder Kit) writes:

>Apparently, there are a couple versions of telix 3.12 floating around.
>The one I got from terminator.cc.umich.edu is older - it has the
>"can't set destructive backspace off" bug.

>I am interested in getting the latest (or at least, a version where I can
>save destructive backspace OFF permanently). Could someone e-mail me an
>ftp site where I can find it, as well as the directory where it is located??

The "destructive backspace bug" is really a myth, created by sloppy
user interface design, and from having crucial information carefully
hidden in complicated documentation and menus.

Yes, an Options Save won't preserve the state of the Destructive
Backspace toggle in the Terminal Options menu.  That's because this
toggle is set or cleared *every* time you connect to one of the entries
in the Dial directory; the t  If you look at the form that comes up when you
edit a directory entry, you will see that you can designate each system
as needing or not needing destructive backspace.  The clumsy design of
this particular form makes it easy to overlook this toggle.  The
default is Destructive, since Telix originates with DOS-based BBSers.
If you stop and think about it, you'll see why some people would not
want to have the same value of this toggle for all numbers.  The
version which "fixes" this "bug" is an unoffical patch job.

Incidentally, you can also fix this by modifying your termcap entry so
that VI knows that your backspace is destructive.  That's what *I* did
back when I thought the DBS was a bug!
--

ergo@netcom.uucp			Isaac Rabinovitch
netcom!ergo@apple.com			Silicon Valley, CA

WISE SAYING NEEDED.  Must reflect positive human values.  Gentle humor a
plus.  Cuties, pseudo-quotations, and jingoistic proverbs need not apply.

ray@ole.UUCP (Ray Berry) (11/01/90)

ergo@netcom.UUCP (Isaac Rabinovitch) writes:

>In <5433@quiche.cs.mcgill.ca> depeche@quiche.cs.mcgill.ca (Acme Instant Dehydrated Boulder Kit) writes:

>>Apparently, there are a couple versions of telix 3.12 floating around.
>>The one I got from terminator.cc.umich.edu is older - it has the
>>"can't set destructive backspace off" bug.

>The "destructive backspace bug" is really a myth, created by sloppy
>user interface design, and from having crucial information carefully
>hidden in complicated documentation and menus.

>Yes, an Options Save won't preserve the state of the Destructive
>Backspace toggle in the Terminal Options menu.  That's because this
>toggle is set or cleared *every* time you connect to one of the entries
>in the Dial directory...

	True enough, the BS option in the dialing directory can set/reset
this flag for you.  But the global option was in fact broken and has been
fixed by the author.  However, the only shareware version of Telix 3.12 is
the original December 1989 release.  Later versions w/bug fixes are only
available to registered users.

	In all, there are six known bugs in the original shareware release.
The latest executable, dated 8/14/90, corrects all six (known) problems.
--
Ray Berry  kb7ht  uucp: ...ole!ray CIS: 73407,3152 /* "inquire within" */

eagle@hobbes.ncsu.edu (Daniel L'Hommedieu) (11/02/90)

In article <1684@ole.UUCP> ray@ole.UUCP (Ray Berry) writes:
>ergo@netcom.UUCP (Isaac Rabinovitch) writes:
>>In <5433@quiche.cs.mcgill.ca> depeche@quiche.cs.mcgill.ca (Acme Instant Dehydrated Boulder Kit) writes:
>
>>Yes, an Options Save won't preserve the state of the Destructive
>>Backspace toggle in the Terminal Options menu.  That's because this
>>toggle is set or cleared *every* time you connect to one of the entries
>>in the Dial directory...
>
>	True enough, the BS option in the dialing directory can set/reset
>this flag for you.

But, if you're not dialing (i.e. using it as a terminal on a network)
the global BS option would be nice...
...Daniel C.
--
Daniel C. L'Hommedieu III             Internet: eagle@catt.ncsu.edu