[comp.sys.ibm.pc.misc] Graphic --> ASCII converter?

tierney@belegost.endor.cs.psu.edu (Michael B. Tierney) (10/31/90)

     Does anyone out there know of a utility that will convert a picture
(any popular format will do) to an ASCII-type picture?  Something like this
will come in handy for some things I want to work on.  If anyone can throw
any pointers my way, it would be very much appreciated.  Thanks,
						       Mike
--
Michael B. Tierney          "Once a great nation under God, now the Number
tierney@endor.cs.psu.edu     One PORNO DRUNKEN DRUG-INFESTED DEBTOR NATION!"

norlin@uokmax.ecn.uoknor.edu (Norman Lin) (10/31/90)

tierney@belegost.endor.cs.psu.edu (Michael B. Tierney) writes:

>     Does anyone out there know of a utility that will convert a picture
>(any popular format will do) to an ASCII-type picture?  Something like this
>will come in handy for some things I want to work on.  If anyone can throw
>any pointers my way, it would be very much appreciated.  Thanks,
>						       Mike

The pbmplus (for UNIX systems) has this capability.  For instance, to
convert a .gif file to ascii, a typical sequence is

giftoppm picture.gif | ppmtopgm | pgmtopbm | pbmreduce 4 | pbmtoascii |
tr o ^ | tr \" o | tr " " # | tr \$ " " > picture.asc

The reason for the "tr" statements at the end of the pipeline is that,
strangely, whenever I try this the picture comes out inverted black for
white.  I tried inserting "pbminvert" into the pipeline, but it never
worked, so I just did the transformation after ASCII conversion.

The site at which I operate has the pbmplus package already installed, but
I am sure it is available for anonymous ftp somewhere.

Hope this helps.

\    /\/\    /\/\        +-----------------------------+    /\/\    /\/\    /./
\\  /./\\\  /./\\\  /====|Norman Lin/norlin@129.15.20.2|===/./\\\  /./\\\  /./
\\\/./  \\\/./  \\\/./===| norlin@uokmax.ecn.uoknor.edu|====/  \\\/./  \\\/./
 \/\/    \/\/    \/\/    +-----------------------------+        \/\/    \/\/

sow@cad.luth.se (Sven-Ove Westberg) (10/31/90)

In article <F5rx*3+2@cs.psu.edu> tierney@belegost.endor.cs.psu.edu (Michael B. Tierney) writes:

|     Does anyone out there know of a utility that will convert a picture
|(any popular format will do) to an ASCII-type picture?  Something like this
|will come in handy for some things I want to work on.  If anyone can throw
|any pointers my way, it would be very much appreciated.  Thanks,
|						       Mike

Appendix A in Digital Image Processing, Gonzalez Rafael C and Wintz Paul
has a listing of a fortran program that produce a 32 level image
on a lineprinter.

Sven-Ove Westberg, CAD, University of Lulea, S-951 87 Lulea, Sweden.
Internet: sow@cad.luth.se

jimf@pro-gateway.cts.com (Jim Ford, Co-SysOp) (11/02/90)

What sort of picture.  If you mean ANSI to an ASCII, that's easy.  Super Debut
is one of the best things around.  If you mean something like a GIF, i don't
think that's possible!

ProLine: jimf@pro-gateway
Internet: jimf@pro-gateway.cts.com
UUCP: crash!pro-gateway!jimf
ARPA: crash!pro-gateway!jimf@nosc.mil
BITNET: jimf%pro-gateway.cts.com@nosc.mil
====================Pro-Gateway 214/644-5113 3/12/2400 baud====================

jimf@pro-gateway.cts.com (Jim Ford, Co-SysOp) (11/02/90)

Really?????  What does a GIF look like when it's converted to ASCII????  I
didn't know that could be done!

sonny@charybdis.harris-atd.com (Bob Davis) (11/03/90)

In article <5418@crash.cts.com> jimf@pro-gateway.cts.com (Jim Ford, Co-SysOp) writes:

>Really?????  What does a GIF look like when it's converted to ASCII????  I
>didn't know that could be done!

	Actually, it TELLS you what it would display if it could.
(You oughta SEE some of the results you get off of alt.sex.pictures...Filthiest
 language you've EVER seen.)
	:-)
Bob Davis, UofALA'66   \\ INTERNET : sonny@trantor.harris-atd.com  |  _   _  |
Harris Corporation, ESS \\    UUCP : ...!uunet!x102a!trantor!sonny |_| |_| | |
Advanced Technology Dept.\\ AETHER : K4VNO          |==============|_/\/\/\|_|
PO Box 37, MS 3A/1912     \\ VOICE : (407) 727-5886 | I SPEAK ONLY | |_| |_| |
Melbourne, FL 32902        \\  FAX : (407) 729-2537 | FOR MYSELF.  |_________|