[comp.sys.ibm.pc.misc] Compression program for PC?

v087mxgb@ubvmsa.cc.buffalo.edu (Shawn E Thompson) (11/01/90)

>	Hi, does anyone know if there exist a compression program much
>like the one on Unix for DOS which compresses and doesn't leave the file behind
>and when uncompressed, it doesn't leave the compressed file behind?  If so,

<lines deleted>

Well, you can use any standard, such as PKZIP or PKARC
and place them in a tiny batch file that would delete
the zipped file after unzipping, or delete the original
after zipping.

Shawn E. Thompson "..my sig file was so long, I'm not even allowed a quote..."
v087mxgb@ubvms.cc.buffalo.edu | set@autarch.acsu.buffalo.edu
University @ Buffalo|Graduate School of Mechanical Engineering
CAD Engineering|Leica, Inc.|PO Box 123|Buffalo, NY 14240-0123|(716)891-3375

ariel@seer.UUCP (Catherine Hampton) (11/03/90)

In article <272F4C8C.1957@ics.uci.edu> wngai@net1.ics.uci.edu (Wayne Ngai) writes:

>	Hi, does anyone know if there exist a compression program much
>like the one on Unix for DOS which compresses and doesn't leave the file behind
>and when uncompressed, it doesn't leave the compressed file behind?  If so,
>please tell me where I can get it (pd or commercial doesn't matter).
>
>Thanks in advance!

Phil Katz' Pkzip will do this just fine.  Just type:

                      pkzip -m zipname.zip filename.exe (filename2.ext etc)

This will move a file into a zip and delete the original file.

Cathy
Catherine A. Hampton                  BITNET: hampton@reed.BITNET
CIS: 71601,3130                      Fidonet: Cathy H. @ 1:125/32
GEnie: C.HAMPTON3     Internet: hampton@reed.EDU / ariel@seer.COM