[comp.sys.ibm.pc.misc] Procomm vs. Procomm Plus

link@stew.ssl.berkeley.edu (Richard Link) (11/03/90)

What are the advantages of going from Procomm 2.4 to Procomm Plus?
Improvements in the script language are not too important for me.

However, I do need Tek 4010 emulation. Any recommendations?

Thanks in advance,
Rick

v087mxgb@ubvmsa.cc.buffalo.edu (Shawn E Thompson) (11/03/90)

>However, I do need Tek 4010 emulation. Any recommendations?

I have had to use TEK 4010 emulation also...was very excited
to get it to work!!!

Neither Procomm version supports it directly. I did the
following (kind of neat);

Loaded MS Kermit (v.3.2 I think) and set it up with
TEK 4010 emulation and IDENTICAL parameters for
com port as procomm.

I load procomm (auto dialing, scripts, etc)

once connected, I hit <ALT>-J (my user defined key
which runs kermit (using 4010 emulation). Since it
is already connected, I just have kermit "pick
up the phone".

This is all VERY easy to do.

I have it all set up (Email me or phone me - I can
zip a file for you with the setups)

Shawn E. Thompson "..my sig file was so long, I'm not even allowed a quote..."
v087mxgb@ubvms.cc.buffalo.edu | set@autarch.acsu.buffalo.edu
University @ Buffalo|Graduate School of Mechanical Engineering
CAD Engineering|Leica, Inc.|PO Box 123|Buffalo, NY 14240-0123|(716)891-3375

madams@ecst.csuchico.edu (Michael E. Adams) (11/05/90)

To: link@stew.ssl.berkeley.edu
Subject: Re: Procomm vs. Procomm Plus
Newsgroups: comp.sys.ibm.pc
Bcc:

I don't know about the TEC emulation, but I found that procomm 2.4.2 is just
fine for my daily needs.  And it is not bogged down with bells and whistles.
It does have a bug or two, but then all software does!  I still use my old
SideKick, and a don't think they will ever talk me into buying ms-windows.
Ya know what's the point of buying a shell that needs more ram?  Ram that
needs more speed, speed that only comes from a new CPU.  Soon you are
buying things just to keep up with the guy next door.  And all you really
needs is a PC to help you get through the daily data grind.  A free
flame from a burned out consumer, who still likes computers.

         (___)      |  Michael E. Adams
         (o o)      |  Custom Computer Programming
  /-------\ /       |  P.O. Box 5027
 / |     ||O        |  Chico,  California  95927-5025    U.S.A.
   ~~    ~~         |  internet: madams@cscihp.ecst.csuchico.edu
No BULL bandwidth   |