[comp.sys.ibm.pc.misc] Reading the printer status

F0O@psuvm.psu.edu (11/05/90)

    I work at a lab where I write data collection programs for students.  I
don't know how many times I've had a student come to me and say 'Tim, your
program isn't working', only to find that the problem is a device timeout
error.  The student(or faculty) forgot to put the printer online.
    Is there any way of checking to see if the printer is online, and if
it's not, put it online by software control?

                                                        [Tim]

timur@seas.gwu.edu (The Time Traveler) (11/06/90)

Putting the printer online via software control is unlikely.  However,
Interrupt 17 has a function which tests online status.  The only problem
is that I couldn't get it to work.  If anyone has a code fragment which
works, could he post it?

jgarland@kean.ucs.mun.ca (11/06/90)

In article <90309.090232F0O@psuvm.psu.edu>, F0O@psuvm.psu.edu writes:
>     I work at a lab where I write data collection programs for students.  I
> don't know how many times I've had a student come to me and say 'Tim, your
> program isn't working', only to find that the problem is a device timeout
> error.  The student(or faculty) forgot to put the printer online.
>     Is there any way of checking to see if the printer is online, and if
> it's not, put it online by software control?
>
>                                                         [Tim]

Someone posted a Turbo Prolog programme to do just that some time ago
on this group or a closely related one as I remember. Also, I seem to
remember Prof. T. Salmi replying to it and showing that there was an
easier way to do it.  Our mailer and news have been a bit problematic
of late and I can't find these messages on our system.  Maybe someone
else remembers them and has access to them still.

John Garland

jgarland@mun             Bitnet
jgarland@kean.ucs.mun.ca Internet